Talk

Advanced search

What do you think, weight related?

(11 Posts)
Twiggy71 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:22:59

I am at least 5 or 6 stone overweight, my problem.
BUT why do people constantly complain to me that they are overweight (in work) this can be a few pounds to maybe 1/2 stone, a stone etc
A. Is it because i am obese and they think i should be able to emphasise with them.
AIBU to be fed up with other woman telling me their dieting woes?
What can I say to them to stop going on and on about it?
Yes i know I need to go and sort my weight out for my health..

SheSaidHeSaid Wed 08-Mar-17 17:26:07

Are you sure they're only complaining to you and no one else about their weight?

Whether they're half a stone overweight or 10 stones over weight if they feel rubbish about themselves then I think they're entitled to have a little moan.

specialsubject Wed 08-Mar-17 17:26:13

sounds like you work in the home for the extremely boring.

jabbering on about weight and diets is mind-numbingly dull. And to do it to someone who is clearly overweight compounds the boredom by stating the obvious!

change the subject as unsubtly as you like.

treaclesoda Wed 08-Mar-17 17:27:30

To be brutally honest I'd say they do it in the hope that you'll tell them they are slim in comparison to you. It's an ego boost thing, and not a very nice one either.

The women I know who constantly complain about their weight are constantly fishing for compliments. And they don't complain in the first place unless they know they are the slimmest person in the group. If there's a chance that someone is slimmer than them, they don't start the conversation.

Mu123 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:42:21

Why shouldnt others be able to complain about their weight?

Twiggy71 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:46:11

Treaclesoda you could be right because 3 people moaned about their weight to me today, and the last person was a size 8.

ShesaidHesaid yes yes & yes it is incredibly dull to be constantly talking about diets and losing weight and I've had enough..
Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves as they can complain to me knowing how much i'd have to loose compared to them?

littlefrog3 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:46:22

To be honest, someone can feel fat and THINK they are fat if they are a stone overweight, or 5 stone overweight, or 10 stone.

I know when I was 8 and a half stone, if I put 6 or 7 pounds on, I felt like a fat pig. Really vile and disgusting, but at say 11 stone, if I put 6 or 7 pounds on, I don't feel too bad.

As has been said above, someone 6 stone lighter than you is just as entitled to feel fat and uncomfortable as you are OP. It's subjective, and no-one has the right to say how they should be feeling.

DonaldStott Wed 08-Mar-17 17:46:36

It's general office chit chat. They will be discussing it with others too. I highly doubt they are singling you out because you're are overweight.

Are you only allowed to discuss it with others if you are x amount of lbs overweight?

AndShesGone Wed 08-Mar-17 17:49:38

They're probably telling you because they think you'll understand ?

Sung Wed 08-Mar-17 18:02:13

They probably don't see you as overweight as you see yourself to some extent.

I am also several stone overweight but I think back to when I was much, much lighter and only had a few pounds - max 1 stone to lose and I just saw myself as needing to lose weight and in the same 'group' as others who wanted to lose weight.

Thankfully none of my colleagues are like this - they only discuss exercise. I am utterly bored of diet talk now (wasn't when I was younger/slimmer though). I do have two very slim friends who like to discuss diets a lot though - they aren't discussing it with me because I am overweight though, just because they are interested in it and think I am too (I am (was!) but really, really don't want to discuss it all the damn time).

treaclesoda Wed 08-Mar-17 18:10:16

Why shouldnt others be able to complain about their weight?

Well, they can if they want to, but they need to be aware that it doesn't come across very sincerely. When someone is clearly slim and moans and whines about their massive belly/thighs/arms it just comes across as self centred and 'Look at me! Compliment me!' Everyone has body parts they hate, but in my experience people who really hate their bodies don't draw attention to it by saying 'I hate my...'. because they find it so unbearable to discuss.

Also I suppose some sensitivity doesn't go amiss. I don't say 'I hate my hair' to people who have lost theirs. Or 'I hate how short my fingers are' to someone who has lost their fingers in an accident (even though I do hate my short fingers!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now