Talk

Advanced search

To take a job that has the shift work upto 10pm at night

(12 Posts)
pawpatrolcanfoff Wed 08-Mar-17 16:29:03

I have lovely parents who would be willingness to take my son to and from school but they do not live locally (three hours away).

My sons dad is also a shift worker and has never shown much commitment to helping out. He goes from job to job so I don't want to rely on him. He does have the odd day off and annual leave/days he finishes early so could help on the odd day.

His family don't help at all by his nana could pick my son up some days on a Friday and have him at the weekends.

I have been offered a job that is fairly high paid, in the field of work I desperately want to get into, but it is on a rota system. One week you do 9-4 the other you so 4-10. Two weekends you have off and the other two you have to work.

I wouldn't even consider these hours but it's such a good job, would mean a much more comfortable life for myself and my son too.

My son is 4 so still compeltely dependant on me.

Should I just reject the job? I'd love to give it a try and would be interested to know what other mums who do shift work do.

It's not high enough income for me to hire a nanny but I was wondering if I could consider an au pair.

I'd have to move house for that though as I don't have a spare room and I live quite rural so don't know if anyone would want to be with us.

If an au pair isn't an option, would I be right in thinking there's nothing I can do?

And AIBU to try and see if there's a solution and take the job?

my parents will have my son for all school holidays.

mollymaid16 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:33:23

If you've no job at the minute hen Isay you've nothing to lose from trying .

Although I wouldn't give a current job up if you are so unsure.

Twistmeandturnme Wed 08-Mar-17 16:38:54

You need a babysitter for after school to 10.30pm one week in 4?
Your son's Dad needs to step up to alternate weekends.
Otherwise it's a lot, but you can do it.

Twistmeandturnme Wed 08-Mar-17 16:39:40

childminder?

pawpatrolcanfoff Wed 08-Mar-17 16:40:45

My ex is rubbish. He won't commit but I can try. It's annoying as my best friend would do it but we live far away.

I wasn't sure if a babysitter would be able to pick him up from school and stay with him until then.

pawpatrolcanfoff Wed 08-Mar-17 16:41:01

I doubt any childminder would work until 10pm

blueteapot Wed 08-Mar-17 17:26:36

Problem with childminder is that he would need to be in bed long before 10pm - childminders mind from their own home so he would maybe need to overnight there. Its doable - Im in the process of becoming registered and would consider it if asked

highinthesky Wed 08-Mar-17 17:34:53

Could your parents (one or both) stay at yours during your late shifts? It would save them from to-ing and fro-ing.

Or be clear that you could only ever do daytime shifts, weekends included?

If you've been offered this job, you might be able to secure the same inna company that can offer you regular hours? Because the shifts are going to be a growing cause of resentment.

Yukbuck Wed 08-Mar-17 17:39:38

Can you use after school club/ childminder then get a local older teen or student to pick him up from there and take him home to yours on your late shifts? They may be happy for extra hours on weekends/ holidays too.

pawpatrolcanfoff Wed 08-Mar-17 17:48:11

If I took this job I could walk into another within 6 months as if have that all important foot in the door in a highly regarded and in demand profession.

My parents could come up, stay a week and come back but I'd feel that was a lot to ask. They would only be able to do it for a few months (hopefully I'd be able to get another job then).

pawpatrolcanfoff Wed 08-Mar-17 17:49:00

I was thinking that 'yuk buck'. Maybe one late week I do that, the other my parents come up.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:52:37

If your parents would do it, I'd take the job. As you say it's hopefully short term and it's only looking after him a few hours a day so not too tiring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now