Talk

Advanced search

To advise MIL to tell this woman to fuck right off

(146 Posts)
IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Wed 08-Mar-17 15:13:50

To be honest I don't think I am but My lovely future MIL has just called to ask advise after receiving a phonecall from her grandsons friends mother. Apparently this woman has rent arrears of 10 thousand pounds and is looking for MIL to lend her the money to avoid eviction. MIL has never even met this woman.

Both DP and I have suggested that if she were to she isn't likely to see much, if any, of it back and that this woman's problems aren't hers.

She could probably afford it but I don't see why she should have to.

Am I missing something here?

Trifleorbust Wed 08-Mar-17 15:15:06

How very odd. Why would she have called on your MIL?

ToastDemon Wed 08-Mar-17 15:15:29

Is she elderly?

mickeysminnie Wed 08-Mar-17 15:15:53

Why on earth would your mil give someone she doesn't even know £10,000?
Why would she even contemplate it?

MuseumOfCurry Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:27

Why would anyone ask someone they don't know to borrow money? Surely that's an assured no?

And yes fuck off is in order.

CookieLady Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:28

Very peculiar.

isseywithcats Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:46

no is a complete sentence this woman is probably a con artist has realised your MIL has a bob or two and if she does get evicted for that level of rent arrears how the hell would she pay your MIL back

MrDacresEUSubsidy Wed 08-Mar-17 15:17:18

WTF? Why would someone who has never met your MIL, expect her to "lend" tens of thousands of pounds?

Sounds like bollocks to me. Either someone's having her on, or someone's trying to scam some cash out of her. Either way she needs to say no.

HouseworkIsASin10 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:17:25

MIL has never met this woman There's your answer.
Does she often feel obliged to give money to strangers?
Is she vulnerable?

It's a straight 'no' obviously. She shouldn't even be considering it, nevermind asking for advice.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Wed 08-Mar-17 15:17:35

Yes MIL is 70. She is very kind hearted and really doesn't like to see people suffer but I think this is just too much in this instance

HerOtherHalf Wed 08-Mar-17 15:17:37

A complete stranger is asking her to lend them a large sum of money? Why does she need someone to tell her how to respond? Is she vulnerable?

FruSkogKattOla Wed 08-Mar-17 15:18:04

You're absolutely correct. It isn't your future MIL's problem.

What on earth does grandson's friend's mother have to do with your MIL? Nothing.

toffeeboffin Wed 08-Mar-17 15:18:06

Of course not confused

ToastDemon Wed 08-Mar-17 15:18:24

Sounds like a con artist who preys on the elderly.

UnicornPiss Wed 08-Mar-17 15:18:48

Some people just like to take the piss. Hmm wonder if it's the same person who wanted DM to take a loan out so she could buy herself a new (ish) Mercedes or BMW!! She had shit credit so couldn't do it herself and DM actually considered doing it till we talked her out of it hmm

Dawndonnaagain Wed 08-Mar-17 15:18:53

I rather think you should be calling the police.

ClemDanfango Wed 08-Mar-17 15:19:39

This woman can see your MIL coming a mile off. Can you call her and give her a very firm fuck off?

ScarlettFreestone Wed 08-Mar-17 15:20:00

Why on earth would you call someone you had never met asking them for £10k?

How does she even know your MIL has the money?

I would seriously hesitate to ask my own parents for that let alone a stranger.

Tell your MIL to say no and block her number. This isn't her responsibility.

ZilphasHatpin Wed 08-Mar-17 15:20:20

Eh? How does this woman even know your MIL? How did she get her number? Why on earth would she think her son's friend's granny would have £10,000? There is more to this story.

MrsJaniceBattersby Wed 08-Mar-17 15:20:39

Just out of interest did someone give this lady your MILs telephone number and how would she know your MIL had this sort of money ?

Floggingmolly Wed 08-Mar-17 15:21:21

Her grandson's friend's mother? How does this woman she's never even met have the means to contact her?
Second contacting the police.

Allthewaves Wed 08-Mar-17 15:21:31

If mil can't deal with it. Tell her to give this woman your number and you can tell her NO

MrsJaniceBattersby Wed 08-Mar-17 15:21:50

grin great minds Zilp

KurriKurri Wed 08-Mar-17 15:30:08

How can this person have run up 10K in arrears and not already have been evicted?

If they ring again she should say if they hassle her she will call the police (I'd call the police anyway - it sounds very dodgy and intimidating)

Can her grandson tell his friend to tell his mother to fuck off and leave his granny alone ?

xStefx Wed 08-Mar-17 15:32:32

I would actually call the police, its an offence to guilt trip old people into giving money. They can be warned off. There was a similar case when charities kept coming to an old womans door. They received a warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now