Talk

Advanced search

Moving to get dc into primary school - taking a step backwards

(4 Posts)
monkeytree Wed 08-Mar-17 15:07:19

Hi
I'm posting on here because this forum is viewed an awful lot.
I want go into too much detail but basically we are looking to move areas to get dc into a different primary school.
Houses in the catchment area of the school that we are looking a come up very rarely and the housing stock is pretty poor (sorry but I'm being honest here). It just happens that there is an up and coming primary school there.
Went to look at a house today which is very close to the school we have in mind. The school is small and there are already a lot of siblings there so they get priority probably leaving only a few spaces for anyone else, so catchment is incredibly small.
So DH and I look at a house and then look at each other, it would definitely mean taking a step backwards in terms of the housing ladder and would be a stop gap, we would want to move again pretty soon when or if dc got offered a place there. The upheaval is massive considering we would not want to stay there for too long in the house its a means to an end. I have been looking at other areas too and wherever we go, it seems we will have limited choice where a good primary is concerned, or something else is difficult about such as a poor secondary school (thinking further ahead). just wished the house ticked something on our wish list, character features, size, size of garden and so on but this is probably the best we're going to get (don't get me wrong its not horrendous its just not what I'd buy if I had free choice and we could afford something bigger etc). Basically I feel cornered Anyone else considered this or actually gone through with this and looked at this type of move as a stop gap. I'm not interested in anyone criticisms about our plans we all know life is unfair, that's just the way it is. I'm only interested in hearing about the lengths people have gone to for schools to make me feel a bit better and less alone. We've got a time pressure against us now too, charming!

whatsfair Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:06

Won't stamp duty and solicitors fees etc mean that you waste an awful lot of money if you move on fairly quickly? Not sure i would compromise that much on a house tbh unless the other school you're faced with is truly awful. Or if you could improve the house to add value, so that you might make some money on it?

QforCucumber Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:25

No advice, but if you buy and then move once they're allocated a place they may be made to move schools again anyway.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 08-Mar-17 15:19:13

Check if siblings out of catchment get priority, if you have more than one child, as you may need to stay til all children are attending the school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now