Talk

Advanced search

To let DS sleep all afternoon?

(11 Posts)
Aliveinwanderland Wed 08-Mar-17 15:05:38

DS is 4 months and has been really out of sorts lately. He hasn't been sleeping well at night (has always been a 2 hourly waker but it's got worse) and has been cranky and upset in the day time.

He slept from 11:45- 2, woke up and he a quick feed and then has fallen asleep again on my knee. We are now on over 3 hours of sleep. Do I let him keep going or wake him up?

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Mar-17 15:06:56

Let Sleeping Babies Lie.

Are you comfortable? Can you have a bit of a doze yourself?

MuseumOfCurry Wed 08-Mar-17 15:07:49

Lucky you, sleeping baby in your lap. Gorgeous.

I'd probably let him sleep, but that's easy for me to say. Is he unsettled because he's gassy?

Aliveinwanderland Wed 08-Mar-17 15:07:58

I can't doze as I'm on the sofa with him. Got a very dead leg and arm but I can put up with it easier than the crying he has done for last few days!

Aliveinwanderland Wed 08-Mar-17 15:09:41

Museum he never usually sleeps on me at all so it's a rare novelty!

He is quite a gassy baby and is on medication for reflux. He had vaccinations last week which have unsettled him and he also has had a bit of a cold and cough.

toffeeboffin Wed 08-Mar-17 15:10:25

Oh god let him sleep!

MuseumOfCurry Wed 08-Mar-17 15:15:18

Oh, on the heels of vaccinations and with a cold - absolutely let him sleep. Your life is made harder by him not being well-rested, much harder than him being a bit off-kilter with his days and nights.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 08-Mar-17 15:16:59

Ah, he's not well then - absolutely leave him. Although I would be tempted to move to a place where you can comfortably nap too - if he needs it, I bet you do too!

coconutpie Wed 08-Mar-17 15:58:44

He's 4 months old! There's no such thing as a routine at that age. Let him sleep.

Lazyafternoon Wed 08-Mar-17 16:09:37

Oh I would! Probably needs it. Could be Growth spurt, cold coming etc. Particularly if had bad night.

My DS loves his sleep. As long as doesn't have a knock on effect for bedtime I let sleep. Though at 4 months old I don't think I'd worry too much about that! My DS is 3 1/2 and can still have 3 hr nap on a Friday afternoon after a busy week at preschool. He'll go to bed after lunch, then can wake up at 4 and still go back to bed at 7.30 without a problem. Lucky I guess!

So yeah I'd say let a baby sleep smile

Aliveinwanderland Wed 08-Mar-17 17:10:10

He has settled himself into a fairly regular routine of half hour nap in the morning, 2 hours around lunchtime and another half hour late afternoon. Timings all shift around depending on what we are doing as baby classes and swimming are at different times.

Bed at 7pm but he wakes every 2 hours all night for a feed. He eventually woke up after 3.5 hours! Seems in a happier mood for it! Now just got to keep him going till bed time as he will want another sleep about 5:30 but it's bathtime at 6:30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now