Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for advice, returning to work after maternity leave

(4 Posts)
user1471433377 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:51:08

Sorry for posting AIBU but from being an avid reader I know you all give fantastic advice.
I need to know if I am BU in wanting to return to work; I started a fixed term training contract funding by NHS England September 2015, and, (amazingly - but that's another story) fell pregnant and took maternity leave August 2016. All along I told my manager that I planned to come back in May 2017. Just about to go to a meeting with her to formalise my return, and I've been informed that I can't return to work until 12months due to how the funding runs (as I need to complete a full year of college). This means they want me to take 3 months off work with no pay as SMP will have run out.
I can't afford to not have an income for 3 months!
So, does anyone know if this is actually legal to refuse to allow me to return?
I really hope that makes sense as I really need some advice

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 15:42:13

Did you work for the NHS prior to starting the training contract. I can completely understand how you can't just re-join the training mid academic year as surely you will have missed so much training and need to start the whole year again possibly with another group? Unless I am missing something here. If it works anything like Nurse training then you would need to take a full year off and rejoin the next cohort . What did you do before, is there anyway you could return to that on a temporary basis until you can restart the training ?

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 15:44:16

I have no idea of the legalities of course but if they are funding the training, I think I would just be relieved they are being flexible enough to let me take a year out and be able to re- join again.

user1471433377 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:51:50

Babyroods is that what happens with nurse training? Thanks for replying. I admit was was amazed they were being flexible about the training.
I think the reason I'm surprised/caught out by the decision is that I approached my manager with a plan (that would have worked) that would have allowed me to take minimal maternity leave but complete the training this year; but I was 'encouraged' to take more and reassured at the time I could return early (I did question this at the time - unfortunately all verbally - if only it had been email).
I'm hoping I can some how temp for the gap but not sure how that will affect my employmet; hopefully it'll be come clearer tomorrow
Thanks again for your reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now