am i the only one who......?

(61 Posts)
fishfacedcow Wed 08-Mar-17 14:23:13

before you comment and tell me im being unreasonable.... you have to be prepared to share something odd you do so that we can judge your judginess (just for fun !)

am i the only one who.....cooks sausages in a little water till they are cooked, then lets the water cook off leaving the fat from the sausages to brown them before serving? ( it makes them lovely and juicy and crispy all at the same time)

JedBartlet Wed 08-Mar-17 14:25:40

I don't know anyone else who does that OP. I don't get why the water makes a difference?

I don't think I do anything weird...I do get some funny looks over my jacket potato filling of choice though (tuna mayo and baked beans). Tuna and cheese is ok...cheese and beans is ok...but somehow not tuna and beans. It's bloody delicious though.

StillaChocoholic Wed 08-Mar-17 14:46:46

Jed surely the right topping would be tuna, beans and cheese!

sonlypuppyfat Wed 08-Mar-17 14:48:21

Me me I do that. Poach them then brown them off

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 08-Mar-17 14:49:19

You boil sausages then brown in a pan?! You heathen grin

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 08-Mar-17 14:49:38

I have tuna with salad cream, coleslaw, beans and cheese on my jackets!

hellsbellsmelons Wed 08-Mar-17 14:50:11

I like my sausages dry and crispy.
None of your fancy herby shite either.
Cheap and cheerful all the way.
Same with my bacon.

Derlei Wed 08-Mar-17 14:50:32

If there's leftover pasta I have it in a sandwich. I have been mercilessly mocked by DH for this

Mrsknackered Wed 08-Mar-17 14:51:00

JedBartlet my DP thinks I am disgusting for that combo and refuses to try it.
When I was pregnant it was sweet potato, cream cheese, baked beans and tuna mayo (no sweet corn though) and it is actually divine.

Astoria7974 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:51:19

Omg OP I thought I was the only one! They are so so much better that way!

HughLauriesStubble Wed 08-Mar-17 14:54:02

Bleurgh OP envy

As a child I used to to dip sausages into tea confused

I now eat black pudding straight from the fridge. I even put it into sandwiches. Nomanomanom grin

IckleWicklePumperNickle Wed 08-Mar-17 14:54:38

Definitely don't do the sausages like you do grin

My macaroni cheese has mince and tomatoes too blush

PickAChew Wed 08-Mar-17 14:57:16

No, I just bake them in the oven.

Some german sausages are boiled, mind.

MrsDoylesladder Wed 08-Mar-17 15:05:35

I will try the sausage thing - tell me more.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 08-Mar-17 15:12:22

I suppose its just a way to heat the sausages enough to melt out some of their own fat without them initially sticking to the pan?

I either bake in the oven or grill mine.

JedBartlet Thu 09-Mar-17 17:20:27

Glad there are some other tuna and beans heathens out there!!

Pasta sandwich though?! No.

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 09-Mar-17 17:26:51

I did sausages in a similar manner recently as the grill pan was dirty and I could not be arsed to clean it.
Quick fry to brown them and then let them simmer in gravy. Came out really nice.
I might try cooking your way next!
I was told recently that I make sponge cake all wrong recently as I use an electric whisk. Apparently I am.over whisking it. What I should do is knacker my already crap wrist joints doing it by hand.
And yet my cakes come out better than theirs.....

spooniestudent Fri 10-Mar-17 01:29:16

I boil sausages before bbqing them, so they don't end up raw on the inside and burnt on the outside.
Dp judges me for eating chips dipped in chocolate mousse blush

TheClaws Fri 10-Mar-17 02:04:28

Yes, I do this (when I remember). Scads of grease and oil floats to the surface of the water, rendering the sausages a little less a diet disaster. I simmer mine gently - don't boil - take them out before they are fully cooked, and finish in the frypan.

abbsisspartacus Fri 10-Mar-17 02:17:18

I put a bit of water in mine cover the dish in foil and put it in the oven they are gluten free sausages if I cooked without the water they would be concrete

chickychickyparmparm Fri 10-Mar-17 02:37:25

Where we live people cook cheapo small sausages in coca cola until it evaporates. I was dubious but they're really good!

CrikeyPeg Fri 10-Mar-17 02:42:33

I cook sausages til they're uber dry and crispy. I did apologise the first couple of times but that's how I like them and DH tucks into them very happily so I just keep on doing them that way. My mum used to par boil sausages first then finish them off in the pan.

Now I want sausages for dinner.

graciestocksfield Fri 10-Mar-17 02:50:05

Just bung them in the oven, it's much easier.

In fact I often do the opposite of the OP and fry them off first before putting them into a casserole.

taytopotato Fri 10-Mar-17 03:01:46

My people!

I poach them sausage first to make sure it's thoroughly cooked.

ToesInWater Fri 10-Mar-17 03:33:33

I used to make a slit in my sausages when they were cooked and put butter in which would then melt - yum. Took me years to realise that it started from probably the first time my dad every had to make dinner for myself and my sister and he must have burnt the sausages so obviously added butter to try and get us to eat them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now