Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Neighthours and dropped kerb

(378 Posts)
Mummysboy2014 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:09:52

Right so we own a bourse with a dropped kerb directly outside our house. Next door do not have a dropped kerb they have a big tree at the end of their driveway assuming they can't get permission for a dropped kerb. Anyway so we have 2 cars next door has one. They use our dropped kerb to access their driveway as they wouldn't be able to access it otherwise. Last night my partners car was parked on our drive, I parked on our dropped kerb and was taking the shopping in. Next door pulled up behind me beeping their horn. I continued to get the things out the car took them to my front door, he beeped the horn again and I shouted wait. I then got the baby aged 5 months out the car and came To the front door to which my partner had now opened the door to see what was going on. I walked back to my car and got my toddler as he didn't want to get out the car. Next door beeped the horn again. Aibu in thinking his an arse and you know what he should be grateful as, Correct me if I'm wrong I'm allowed to park on my dropped kerb. And if it weren't for us he wouldn't be to access his drive without using our dropped kerb.

Sirzy Wed 08-Mar-17 13:11:38

I can't picture the layout but as you know that is the access to his property too then surely you could have pulled forward a bit and left it clear?

Fitzsimmons Wed 08-Mar-17 13:12:29

YABU for posting a parking related thread without a diagram grin

Your neighbour sounds like a bit of an arse.

Annesmyth123 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:12:59

I would not be in the least happy with creating a right of way over my drive like this. I'd be parking such that he couldn't use my drive to access his.

BillSykesDog Wed 08-Mar-17 13:13:40

Yeah, you should have moved slightly to let him through. Expecting him to wait in the road while you took in all your shopping and a baby was a bit much. What if another car had wanted to pass?

LemonBreeland Wed 08-Mar-17 13:15:24

I need a diagram to see if YWBU or not.

MrsGotobed Wed 08-Mar-17 13:15:36

So do they have to drive over your property to get to their drive? confused

We need a diagram!

kiwiquest Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:04

If there is no drop kerb, he has no legitimate access. As it stands I assume he either; drives along the footway to get into his driveway (not permitted) or drives across your private land (which he has no rights to do). I would speak to a planning officer at your local council for further advice.

willowtree62 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:15

Definitely need a diagram! Are the neighbours driving over your private driveway to get to theirs? If so, have you given them permission?

RhiWrites Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:18

It's not being unreasonable to block your own driveway.

Neighbour's don't have a driveway, so you're not blocking them.

Minniemagoo Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:19

Are you sure the dropped kerb isn't for both drives. How does he access his drive from your dropped kerb? Is there a very wide path and he crosses that? Any dropped kerbs/ drives around here are obviously for a specific drive and wouldn't allow access to another drive?
Is he approachable? Maybe he thinks the dropped kerb is for both?

purplemunkey Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:25

I don't believe you can park on a dropped kerb. How does everyone else (parking wardens etc) know it's yours?

xStefx Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:50

sorry not getting involved without a diagram :-)

SantinoRice Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:50

I'm imagining their driveway with a tree at the end! Can't be right. Was your car parked over a public pavement?

welshmist Wed 08-Mar-17 13:17:06

Next time take the baby in to partner, then move the car and empty the shopping out, you have to live next door to these people, even if you consider them unpleasant.

Annesmyth123 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:17:30

But if he doesn't have a dropped kerb then why does the op have to allow him to drive over her garden?

I wouldn't like my next door neighbour driving over my front to get to his drive and I'd be worried about the insurance implications for example if he did damage or I did something that damaged his car. Also be worried if I came to move and had to tell that he was using my drive to get to his lots of people don't like shared drives

purplemunkey Wed 08-Mar-17 13:17:32

I meant to add 'even if it's yours' after 'dropped kerb'.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Mar-17 13:18:21

If there is a tree blocking the entrance to his property then he does not have a drive but has a paved front garden.

grin

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 08-Mar-17 13:18:25

You're not meant to park on any dropped curb.

IdaDown Wed 08-Mar-17 13:18:43

Check your deeds for any rights of way/shared drive/access arrangements.

Check with council planning - what did they give permission for with the dropped curb. I.e. Was it you/previous owner who applied and payed for a single or double dropped curb.

If the curb is just for your own access, I'd be sending an email/letter to the neighbour and then putting fence/bollard type boarder to stop them going across your drive.

I wouldn't want any informal arrangements becoming permanent.

Rubyslippers7780 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:19:36

Dropped kerbs are also for wheelchair / mobility scooters etc it is not always to provide access to a private drive. It is illegal to park in front of a dropped kerb - you could get a ticket for parking there

RagamuffinCat Wed 08-Mar-17 13:20:09

Is the dropped kerb part of the pavement or your driveway? If it is part of the pavement then you should not be blocking it. If it is part of your driveway and he has no legal right of access then he is being very unreasonable, and I would be inclined to put a fence up between the driveways to prevent this problem.

gamerchick Wed 08-Mar-17 13:21:00

I don't think you can park in front of a dropped kerb at any time, whether it's yours or not. Traffic wardens don't know it's you who lives there do they?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Mar-17 13:21:03

Surely Welshmist by the same reasoning the neighbour has to live next to the OP so he should be polite and wait whilst she is unloading her shopping, her baby and her toddler outside HER property using HER dropped kerb!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 08-Mar-17 13:21:39

Honestly, I need a diagram before I can comment! It kind of depends if the drop curb is obviously shared or if they use the drop curb and then drive 20m along pavement to their drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now