Talk

Advanced search

Hasn't anyone used sitters.co.uk

(24 Posts)
Grinchatchristmas Wed 08-Mar-17 11:50:13

Sorry I know it's not an AIBU but just posting for traffic as I have a couple of days I need emergency childcare just a couple of hours each day.

I have never left my children with anyone before but I don't have anyone to have my 2 year old so I was just wondering if anyone has used sitters.co.uk and if it was a positive experience? Many thanks in advance.

ImperialBlether Wed 08-Mar-17 11:54:16

I have worked for them and it always went well.

Grinchatchristmas Wed 08-Mar-17 12:07:51

Thanks Imperial, do they send so many babysitter profiles through to you to choose from and then do you interview them first or do they just turn up for the dates you need them for?

VacantExpression Wed 08-Mar-17 12:09:33

I have a relative that works for them, she is a fully qualified childminder but the sitters arrangement is working brilliantly for her at the moment, she has a few "regulars". I don't know the details of how it works though.

flipflap75 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:11:13

I have, but around 9 years ago - the sitter was fabulous, so we swapped numbers and have been using her ever since.

Okite Wed 08-Mar-17 12:14:01

Yes we use them. Have had a couple of different sitters, one brilliant, one not so good, but we have marked her as someone we don't want back. We're in a rural area so there aren't many choices. It's very convenient and easy for us.

Grinchatchristmas Wed 08-Mar-17 12:14:14

This all sounds really positive which is making me feel better about leaving him with someone I don't know.

CruCru Wed 08-Mar-17 12:14:28

I have used them lots (at least once a week). They allocate you a sitter (if it is someone you haven't had, they send you some information on them - they tend to be childminders / nannies). Once you've had a few sitters, you can look through your list and say which ones you particularly like (you rank the top three in order) so your jobs get offered to them first. You can also say if there is anyone you don't want to ever have again (although I have never had to do this).

itschilly Wed 08-Mar-17 12:15:14

I've used them loads and never had any problems - all been great. One used to take my DC to playgroup etc if she was looking after them in the day. Still use her 6 years later.

wizzywig Wed 08-Mar-17 12:15:59

We've used them regularly. They keep you updated with who they are booking. Then yiu can rate them afterwards.

snowgirl1 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:16:17

I've used them for babysitting in the evenings - it seems to be teaching assistants, nursery staff, staff who work for afterschool care, nannies, childminders i.e. people with lots of professional childcare experience who want to earn some extra money. I don't know if it works differently for emergency daycare (aot evenings), but generally you just book submit the dates/times you want a sitter on-line and then get an email to confirm that 'Jane' will be your babysitter and the sitter then calls you on the day to confirm. No interviews, but as I've said it could be different for emergency day care.

MrsMarigold Wed 08-Mar-17 12:19:41

They are great, and are usually super, although we find booking them outside London can be a bit tricky but in London the pool of sitters is huge and great if you decide you fancy going out on Saturday night that morning.

Bashfulinseduary Wed 08-Mar-17 12:20:35

I've always been very happy with them. If we have a new sitter she always calls the day before to introduce herself and find out about the children. Maybe book your sitter for an extra first session when you will be there so your dc will be used to her.

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 08-Mar-17 12:27:14

Have been using for over ten years. Have met many wonderful people - and some have become prized sitters and long term friends.

As others have said they are often teachers or nursery assistants and some are older mums or students. They also report that sitters works well for them - which makes me feel ok about using them.

You're not supposed to use them personally once you've met them but in practice most people I know do. Once someone has come to your house five times you have their number and give them a call personally. I still use sitters though

One bad experience from many - who we marked as never again.

Grinchatchristmas Wed 08-Mar-17 12:38:19

I think my biggest fear was in case they didn't turn up but everyone's experiences seem really positive so I am going to register with them today.

whatsagoodusername Wed 08-Mar-17 12:38:59

I've used them a lot of times, although I've never managed to get the same one more than once.

They've all been good. The worst one I had I just felt neutral about - I'm sure she was perfectly competent but the kids and I didn't really warm to her. No problem, though, and I wasn't worried.

Most have arrived early and been straight in with the kids, who are usually delighted by it.

INXS Wed 08-Mar-17 12:41:17

Am I right in thinking that you can't just pay for the service when you use it - you also have to pay a monthly subscription fee?

That has been stopping me from using this service

Grinchatchristmas Wed 08-Mar-17 12:48:56

Inxs, from what i unserstand about the fees, when registering you have to put you bank details in and I think they take their fee by direct debit when you book one of their sitters. I didn't fully understand it which is why I thought I would check with people on here.

snowgirl1 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:53:07

You pay a quarterly subscription fee, then a fee each time you book. You pay the sitter directly. Sitters gives you a recommended (or it could be minimum) amount per hour that you have to pay sitter - the figure they give seems slightly lower than the rate for sitters I've used directly.

PatriciaHolm Wed 08-Mar-17 13:03:26

We use them a lot and get the same 2 mostly, who are fantastic. You don't get to interview or select, they will allocate someone, but you'll get some details of their experience etc. You pay a quarterly fee of £14.95, a booking fee of £4 then you pay the sitter direct. There are recommended hourly rates, and they ask you pay for 3 hours minimum.

AveEldon Wed 08-Mar-17 13:15:05

I've used them for 12 years. Happy to recommend

Applebite Wed 08-Mar-17 13:16:11

How weird, I just posted a thread asking if anyone could recommend a good agency, and mentioned sitters as a friend who used to live in London suggested them.

This is really helpful, thanks v much OP and PPs.

verytiredmummy1 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:57:06

My mum used to work for them and it seems they properly vet their sitters and it seemed to go well when my mum say for people

verytiredmummy1 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:57:18

Sat

Sorry for typos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now