Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you sit in a cafe after ordering coffee to take away?

(89 Posts)
Peopleplease Wed 08-Mar-17 10:03:49

It was a Costa with no price difference between sit down and take away prices.

DH and I popped in with DD2 in the buggy. She's 10 weeks old. We ordered coffee to take away but by the time we'd been served DD had fallen asleep and we sat down to have our coffee in peace and have a chat. Even if we'd know she'd sleep we still would have wanted take away cups in case she cried.

A friend thinks I was unreasonable and shouldn't have sat down.

So just wondering - as there was no price difference - would you sit down??

Soubriquet Wed 08-Mar-17 10:06:55

No price difference? Yeah i would sit

If there was a price difference then no

CaoNiMartacus Wed 08-Mar-17 10:06:55

Yeah. I sometimes do, when I have an appointment but I have some time to spare - not enough time to properly sit down and drink all my coffee. I get a takeaway cup, then sit down with it to kill the five minutes before I need to be at my appointment.

AntiQuitted Wed 08-Mar-17 10:08:52

Of course, why wouldn't you sit down?!

Dontactlikeyouknowme Wed 08-Mar-17 10:08:54

Lots of people do this so they can take the drink out of they don't finish it.Some people just prefer a takeaway cup
It's fine.

icanteven Wed 08-Mar-17 10:09:10

Bit bizarre that your friend thinks you were unreasonable, really. Honestly, if a friend told me I was out of order for something like that I would think she was just getting at me for reasons of her own that have nothing to do with Costa.

YANBU in any way, shape or form.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 08-Mar-17 10:09:37

Errrrrm, of course. I honestly can't see how anyone could possibly have a problem with this.

EveOnline2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:09:47

There is a costa in my work place < hospital > many doctors have drinks in disposable cups just in case they are bleeped.

MadMags Wed 08-Mar-17 10:09:49

I always get my drinks in takeaway cups.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 08-Mar-17 10:10:15

And sometimes people just change their minds. Imagine caring about that.

EveOnline2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:11:10

amp.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/26/costa-coffee-launches-in-store-cup-recycling-scheme

Plus costa is very pro active about recycling

LurkingQuietly Wed 08-Mar-17 10:12:43

I always have a takeaway cup - easier to carry to the table, less spillage when my toddler inevitably knocks the table.

RitaMills Wed 08-Mar-17 10:13:25

I prefer take out cups, keeps the coffee warmer for longer, I always ask for my order in a take away cup. I do always tell them my intention to sit in though.

TheNaze73 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:13:39

I always get a takeaway cup. If that is all your friend has to worry about, they must be doing all right.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 08-Mar-17 10:14:26

in the domain of sustainability its a horrific and common crime

ceramic cup, 1 wash and re-used
coffee cup, generally goes straight into landfill as the copu cant be recycled. the lid can but no one knows that, and the liquid generally renders it unfit

straight to festering landfill, or burnt in a waste to energy plant

then more rainforests are destructed to make more fucking coffee cups

sorry, you did ask!

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Wed 08-Mar-17 10:19:00

I take my own thermal mug thing regardless of drinking in or not, no coffee shop has ever not filled it.

Yes unless a price diffrence I would sit in

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 08-Mar-17 10:22:11

When asked if I'm staying in or taking away I always answer "I'm intending on staying in, but can I have my coffee in a takeaway cup please?". Never had a problem - and I visit
Costa A LOT! grin

That way, if you need to rush off you can take your coffee with you.

Your friend is being a bit weird.

EminemTickets Wed 08-Mar-17 10:28:52

Sounds like your friend is picking at nothing, not sure what her problem is. I always say take away even if I'm staying in because for one thing it's easier to carry a bag than balance a tray if you've got more than one item etc

HashiAsLarry Wed 08-Mar-17 10:30:00

I do sometimes. Mainly because I like my coffee by the bucket and don't have all day to sit there and drink it from one of their mugs.

OhdocalmdownJoanna Wed 08-Mar-17 10:31:55

Regarding the ethics of what you did/didn't ask for at the till, and misrepresentation of orders etc, isn't this rather a #firstworldproblem? As others have said upthread, we all just need to make sure we recycle the disposables.

EssentialHummus Wed 08-Mar-17 10:33:37

When asked if I'm staying in or taking away I always answer "I'm intending on staying in, but can I have my coffee in a takeaway cup please?".

Me too. I sometimes see things priced as £2 take away / £2.30 eat in (or whatever) - I assumed it was some tax-related thing but maybe it's the additional work eat-in customers generate?

Gwenhwyfar Wed 08-Mar-17 10:33:58

A friend of mine always gets a takeaway cup because he drinks so slowly he wants a cup that will keep it warm for a long time or that he can use to take away whatever's still left when he leaves.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 08-Mar-17 10:34:33

Is that all your friend's got to worry about. hmm.
Congratulations on your new baby.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 08-Mar-17 10:34:39

I usually get mine in a take away cup. It stays hotter for longer and if I have to abandon the cafe <gestures at feral children> then I don't have to abandon my ridiculously over priced coffee too.

I also think you get a bit more in a take away cup than the mugs they use in Costa and Neros.

Yanbu op. No price difference, no problem!

Gwenhwyfar Wed 08-Mar-17 10:35:04

" I assumed it was some tax-related thing but maybe it's the additional work eat-in customers generate?"

It can be tax. In Greggs for example, there's VAT on food eaten in as it is considered a luxury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now