Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours fires

(13 Posts)
HellsBellsxx Tue 07-Mar-17 23:17:02

AIBU to report one of my neighbours to someone and if so, who?
A neighbour a couple of doors down is constantly lighting fires in there garden often in the middle of the night) we can see it, smell it, hear it (bangs occasionally). Not sure what they're burning but it doesn't smell/sound healthy! Who can you tell in these matters?

AlmostAJillSandwich Tue 07-Mar-17 23:25:18

I didn't think it was illegal to do this? Loads of people do it on bonfire night.

lizi311 Tue 07-Mar-17 23:25:21

Report it as niusance (however thats spelled) to your local council x

HellsBellsxx Tue 07-Mar-17 23:28:45

I assume it's illegal to burn certain things? It doesn't just smell like your usual garden waste and when police were in there area for an unrelated reason they quickly put out the flames. X

KoolKoala07 Tue 07-Mar-17 23:29:39

This is from the gov.uk website. There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.
You can’t get rid of household waste if it will cause pollution or harm people’s health. This includes burning it.

Complain about a neighbour’s bonfire
Your council can issue an ‘abatement notice’ if a neighbour’s bonfire is causing a nuisance. A bonfire must happen frequently to be considered a nuisance.

Your neighbour can be fined up to £5,000 if they don’t stick to the notice.

HellsBellsxx Tue 07-Mar-17 23:31:20

Ok thank you x

Adarajames Tue 07-Mar-17 23:43:24

Some local authorities have bylaws around when / dates / times allowed bonfires so check local info as well

Autumnchill Tue 07-Mar-17 23:55:36

Couple of years ago my neighbour had a massive bonfire that started at 9pm and at 11.30 I rang the Fire Brigade for advice.

They put it out due to proximity of fire to fence and trees and that when they turned up it was unattended and the flames were quite high.

They did say that if it had been attended to etc they would have left it even though my house stank of smoke and our cars were covered in ash. Advised speaking to the council if it happened again.

I emailed our Parish council but they said it wasn't illegal just an annoyance.

TamzinGrey Wed 08-Mar-17 00:12:49

Report it to your local council as a nuisance. We once had a neighbour who kept burning foul smelling stuff every couple of nights and covering our windows in smut. The woman I spoke to at the council was extremely sympathetic and wrote them a strongly worded letter. Never had any more trouble.

PavlovianLunge Wed 08-Mar-17 02:56:16

We had this, guy would pile stuff up, set light to it and then throw petrol on. Madness. He would also ask neighbours for stuff to burn.

I reported it to the council, and they were all over it. Report, report, report.

Good luck.

AwaywiththePixies27 Wed 08-Mar-17 07:39:52

Think it depends on your bylaws OP.

Report to the council and see what they say.
We're not allowed to burn until after 6 and we've got to keep it contained within the proximity, so it don't inadvertently set a neighbours fence on fire sort of thing.

HellsBellsxx Fri 09-Jun-17 06:18:50

We contacted the local authorities and they sent a letter to the neighbour and have given us an incidents diary to fill in

Doodlebug5 Fri 09-Jun-17 06:30:23

Our next door neighbour was burning bleach bottles and unfortunately one day came home and our house had caught alike we think it was ashes from the burner that came over the fence and caught on some dry plants- then the shed then the fencing then our roof. She was adamant it wasn't her but someone had seen her earlier on in the day burning.

Just be careful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now