Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

George Michaels Death?

(17 Posts)
PixiePlunge Tue 07-Mar-17 19:43:41

Had the radio on in the car, and it was reporting how George Michael had died from natural causes.

Comments from the general public and one woman said "I'm so glad we know and we don't have to go through an inquest."

hmm

Aibu to think there is no WE. His family and friends will go through it, and it's nothing to do with people that didn't know him personally.

Doyouwantabrew Tue 07-Mar-17 19:48:40

Agree

KindergartenKop Tue 07-Mar-17 19:49:41

People are odd.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 07-Mar-17 19:51:00

YANBU, it must be awful for his family and close friends when people try and 'claim' him. I've always thought that about Princess Diana too.

Fallenmadonnawiththebigboobies Tue 07-Mar-17 19:51:07

Yep - totally agree. When I saw it on the BBC I had a small rant to a friend as it's absolutely none of my business how he, or anyone else not close to me, died.

SheSaidHeSaid Tue 07-Mar-17 20:15:33

I agree as well. I get that when people are famous others feel like they know them but they don't, they aren't family, it's not them having to go through it.

Yes, feel sad about it but don't act like you're personally involved.

PolaDeVeboise Tue 07-Mar-17 21:09:45

I am just glad that it wasn't drugs. No, I am not related but, yes, I do care.

Alfieisnoisy Tue 07-Mar-17 21:15:53

I thought it was natural causes anyway. When he died his partner said his heart had finally given up. I guessed he had been ill from an underlying health issue so no surprised by this announcement.

Bless him, RIP George Michael.

PixiePlunge Tue 07-Mar-17 21:18:56

I am just glad that it wasn't drugs. No, I am not related but, yes, I do care.

That's not what the aibu is about though. The woman made out that she would suffer if his death had lead to an inquest. That it would be a traumic thing to go through.

nursebickypegs Tue 07-Mar-17 21:30:01

I'm not 100% sure why people "claim" public deaths/suspected deaths. E.g. the young Corrie lad, everyone is like "bring our boy home". It's not your boy!

littlefrog3 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:33:09

I hate people who claim famous peoples deaths too, and expect sympathy because they are upset.

TweeBee Tue 07-Mar-17 21:34:51

I do agree OP but then again some people will have felt like he was family or a friend, I suppose. Like they've grown up together, if they were a fan from the start. Of course it's not the same but they could still find it upsetting.
A bit OT but I was surprised that they mentioned fatty liver and heart problems on the news. I wouldn't like people to know that about me after I died, it seems a bit too much personal information. I suppose there's no confidentiality when you're dead, perhaps?

PolaDeVeboise Tue 07-Mar-17 21:35:40

Pixie The general tone of the thread read to me that you weren't entitled to care how he died if you weren't related. I was just disagreeing.

PixiePlunge Tue 07-Mar-17 22:10:52

Pixie The general tone of the thread read to me that you weren't entitled to care how he died if you weren't related. I was just disagreeing.

Not at all. I don't think people shouldn't give a shit about anyone's death.

I'm just saying it's not your own personal grief so saying I'm glad I don't have to go through an inquest is ridiculous to me.

maggiecate Tue 07-Mar-17 23:47:22

I would read as she was saying a sort of collective 'we' in that if there was an inquest the press and associated ghouls would have been picking over every detail of what was said and who by, and it would have opened his life up again to all sorts of scrutiny and speculation. It would have been a major story and hard to avoid hearing about, when this is really a private thing for his family and friends.

It's not as if certain sections of the press wouldn't love to squeeze a bit more scandal out of his life - there will be some disappointed newsrooms out there that it was natural causes. I think 'we' as a society have been spared a fairly grim spectacle of the vultures picking over the bones of his life; I'm glad that it won't be happening, and the relief for his family and the people who loved him must be enormous.

gillybeanz Tue 07-Mar-17 23:56:29

It's ridiculous to you but not the woman who said it.
It takes all sorts and maybe being over invested in celebs lives and deaths, keeps this woman going.
You are kept going by disagreeing with her and starting threads about it.
It takes all sorts.

yerbutnobut Wed 08-Mar-17 07:11:01

I generally find these days that people enjoy playing the hard done by victim, yet another horrible side effect of social media where many take the opportunity to parade their ego and have it stroked, reason i gave up Facebook tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now