We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To let a 14 year old watch a 15 rated movie?

(45 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Tue 07-Mar-17 10:45:10

DS - superhero fanatic. Wants to watch Deadpool and Logan. I've held off but I was letting him watch the Avengers and other superhero movies at age 11, which he has reminded me of repeatedly. Just seems a big leap in levels of violence etc.

Secretsquirrel252 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:46:47

grin Seriously?

Trifleorbust Tue 07-Mar-17 10:47:24

I wouldn't hesitate. These ratings are for your guidance only as a parent. Only cinemas and other businesses are bound by them.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:47:53

I think it's fine.

A 14 year old watching a 15 film absouletly fine, it's not like they suddenly become more grown up or whatever the day they hit 15 is it.

I think with these things you just use your common sense

Chasingsquirrels Tue 07-Mar-17 10:47:56

Totally up to you.
I let my 14yo watch 15's but only since he's been 14.
I watched Deadpool with DH recently and thought it was a pile of crap and mentioned it in from of DS who said he'd thought it was good - he'd watched it at his dad's, who I'm pretty sure implements the same kind of restrictions as I do.

ShaniaTwang Tue 07-Mar-17 10:48:07

Read the review on common sense media, if there's aspects of the violence you are uncomfortable with, you know your son, hold your ground.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Tue 07-Mar-17 10:52:50

I wouldn't even think twice about letting them tbh

A 14 year old watching a rated 15- absouletly fine as pp says they don't suddenly mature the day they turn 15!

An 8 year old watching a rated 15- not ok

Have you seen it? I love Deadpool but it pushes the boundaries of taste quite a bit. We had it on as a family and my 13yo DD (the youngest) was in the room on her laptop but not watching as such.

Logan is a similar story, I've heard great things about it but I've also heard it's very adult. I'd want to see it myself before making that kind of decision when it's out on DVD, but tbh I'm really strict with cinema visits. No underage films on the big screen. It's a different experience than watching at home, a lot less in-your-face.

BigDeskBob Tue 07-Mar-17 11:01:29

Letting a 14 year old watch 15 rated film isn't the most outrageous thing I've heard today. But I second common sense media.

Floggingmolly Tue 07-Mar-17 11:02:39

Yes.

DevelopingDetritus Tue 07-Mar-17 11:03:41

Yes from me too.

DevelopingDetritus Tue 07-Mar-17 11:09:12

I usually read up on contents on imdb. kids-in-mind have blow by blow accounts and if you want a laugh and a load of judgement then Movieguide is the ticket.

Wheresthattomoibabber Tue 07-Mar-17 11:15:28

I think deadpool should be an 18 though...

Allthewaves Tue 07-Mar-17 11:18:09

I'm usually super strict on age ratings but mine are all under 10 so more impressionable. Having said that I watched jurassic world (12) with dh and we thought ds(8) would be ok. We watched the making of the movie first then let him watch it.

NerrSnerr Tue 07-Mar-17 11:21:45

I would watch Deadpool and make the decision based on the child. I'd read some Logan reviews. I am assuming most 14 year olds have seen 15 and 18 films at friends houses or when you're out? I have always loved horror so watched much older films throughout my teens and for me personally it didn't cause any distress.

PatriciaHolm Tue 07-Mar-17 11:23:47

I'm assuming you've seen Deadpool?

Generally, I'd be fine. I'm a little unsure the Deadpool though, as a PP said it's probably nearer an 18!

APMom Tue 07-Mar-17 11:26:05

Logan is 16 here but I brought ds aged 14 the other day. It's incredibly violent with a child doing a lot of the killing but a great movie. Patrick Stewart was fantastic.

Reow Tue 07-Mar-17 11:27:20

Yes. Tell him Deadpool is a pile of shite though. That's coming from a Marvel fan.

MsGameandWatch Tue 07-Mar-17 11:28:21

Yes seriously....

I have seen it yes msdmitri hence my wavering as even I found it a bit much. Agree it's closer to an 18.

We've compromised I said I will take him to see Logan but can he wait a bit for Deadpool, I think he feels likes he won actually smile

Gatehouse77 Tue 07-Mar-17 11:30:12

Mine have watched some films above their age rating. Generally, it's a decision taken after a discussion and some research or prior knowledge. But it's mostly down to knowing our children and what they can handle. I'm relaxed about bad language they hear but don't tolerate it being repeated out loud.
I'm more bothered about sexual content and films that normalise violence, prejudice, etc.

Secretsquirrel252 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:13:35

I'd imagine he's already seen Deadpool as it's been out for quite a while.

MsGameandWatch Tue 07-Mar-17 12:17:42

No he hasn't or he wouldn't have been campaigning for it so strenuously. There's other reasons I know he hasn't but they're not really relevant here.

Secretsquirrel252 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:20:20

And when he turns 15? Will it suddenly become ok?

MsGameandWatch Tue 07-Mar-17 12:21:49

Why are you being so sneery squirrel?

emsler Tue 07-Mar-17 12:24:57

In general I would say it very much depends on the child but would usually make them wait until it's on DVD so it can be turned off if necessary!

Just to warn you, Logan is v. violent, dark and quite upsetting in some places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now