Talk

Advanced search

To let DS go to baby group even though I'm sick?

(12 Posts)
Willabean Tue 07-Mar-17 09:19:01

I seem to have picked up a sickness bug, D&V since yesterday morning - lessened overnight but tummy definitely still isn't right.
DS (13 months) and DP are fine, no symptoms and are positively chipper envy
I usually take DS to baby sensory Tuesday mornings, but don't think I can (or should!) in my current sickly state. My mum has said she'll happily take DS to the class and out for the day after to give me a day to rest, but DP says he shouldn't go to the class as he may have the bug too and be contagious, I say he's absolutely fine and not showing any symptoms at all and he should go but said my mum should stay away from the messy play area as that is a germ fest!

AIBU or is DP??

Sirzy Tue 07-Mar-17 09:21:55

I think I would give it a miss this once, can your mum not take him somewhere else?

I think as babies are often a vulnerable group I would avoid the risk of passing it on even though it may only be a small risk.

littledinaco Tue 07-Mar-17 09:47:47

I would get your mum to take him somewhere else, at 13 months he's not going to have a clue if he misses one week.

If he does have the bug, it's going to spread it to all the other babies and their families. Even if the risk is small, it just doesn't seem worth taking the chance.

GirlElephant Tue 07-Mar-17 09:50:53

YABU to go as you've so recently had D&V. You may give it to other children and adults. I'm still on mat leave & always avoid baby groups if I or DS have something contagious except the cold which I constantly catch at baby groups!

Dobbyandme Tue 07-Mar-17 09:55:41

As someone who took my child to baby group last Thursday where none of the children appeared sick I would say please don't let him go.

Friday afternoon my DD came down with it, Saturday I did, Sunday DH did. My inlaws also visited before it came on and we've spent the whole bloody time hoping MIL doesn't come down with it as she has an operation in another part of the country tomorrow. Luckily she seems to have skipped it but we're all still quite poorly.

Please don't pass this on like someone did to us!

londonrach Tue 07-Mar-17 10:02:33

Please dont. Someone bought it to a baby sensory i went to. Heard mum talking about and removed myself from near her. Byes i got it then dh had it vvv bad we almost had a trip to hospital as he couldnt stop being sick.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 07-Mar-17 10:38:24

You definitely shouldn't go.

Even though DC is currently not ill, it seems silly to risk spreading a sickness bug around young babies if they're incubating it.

Get your mum to take the baby to the park or somewhere

NavyandWhite Tue 07-Mar-17 10:40:07

Not worth the risk to other mums and dc imo.

thethoughtfox Tue 07-Mar-17 10:40:28

You shouldn't be around other children for 48hours after the last bout of unpleasantness. Think of the babies!!

Crunchymum Tue 07-Mar-17 10:59:22

I get what people are saying (I'm an emetophobe too) but what if we swapped soft play for nursery? Would people still be saying keep the child off as it has been exposed to an illness?

Crunchymum Tue 07-Mar-17 11:02:03

I think common sense has to prevail in these circumstances.

I'd not take the baby but then where does it end? My 4yo is just recovering from a sickness bug, we'll adhere to the 48h rule but what about my 2yo? Do I have to keep her home too? Is she not OK for nursery?

(We actually are all at home so it's a moot point but more of an example)

Dobbyandme Tue 07-Mar-17 11:33:59

Crunchymum I only have the one she doesn't yet attend any form of daycare. However in those circumstances I would speak to the caregiver (nursery/ school office/ nanny/ etc) and get their advice, or be clear on their policy prior to a sickness bug in the family.

If a parent has it, or a sibling, if the other child isn't showing symptoms they could well be incubating a virus that could spread like wildwire amongst a small group of children who are too young to practice dafe hygiene and I would want to take the caregiver's advice.

Most likely however, if possible, I would keep them all away from other children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now