Talk

Advanced search

Antidepressants, serotonin?

(3 Posts)
hungryhippo90 Tue 07-Mar-17 00:19:01

Hi!
Thinking this may be the best place for traffic, hoping someone with more knowledge than me pops by! (Most will have more knowledge!)
I'm getting a bit fed up of life not ever seeming better, even with ADs. I've been on most over the course of the past 7 years.

What I do wonder however is, SSRI ADs, from my understanding work on the premise of replacing lost serotonin in your brain?

Does this in any way impact your ability to create serotonin yourself?

Feeling a bit dejected. Looking for reason to take a bit more control, exercising like mad and hopefully dealing with the depression with exercise.

Not sure if I'm having a funny mood change, or whether it's sensible??

Just feel I can just take this ball by the horns and stop relying on tablets that aren't working and never really have.

TakeThatFuckingDressOffNow Tue 07-Mar-17 07:35:19

Hi, sorry to hear you are having a hard time. There is a lot of information available on this online. Try the forum no more panic, it's been very useful for me. SSRI = Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Essentially stop your brain absorbing the seratonin you have created. It's not creating more seratonin or giving you synthetic seratonin. Although I'm not a chemist this is just a laywoman's view. I would also suggest that talking therapy is the cornerstone of dealing with depression. My personal view is, no point taking the tablets without talking therapy. Good luck with the cardio, it will help!!! flowers

THC63 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:09:03

The tablets might not appear to be working but without them the feelings could be worse so they could be working to a degree.

I would head back to the docs and have a chat about the way you feel and see what they suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now