Talk

Advanced search

I'm getting flamed for this but people who....

(193 Posts)
ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:02:34

Start every frigging statement or paragraph with the word 'so' as in 'so I was doing my shopping and I stubbed my toe blah blah'.

No. Just no.

Aibu or am I the only person who gets peeved reading posts and statuses like this? It doesn't isn't sound nice reading it out in my head. Do people talk like this in real life?

prepares to get flamed heavily

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Mon 06-Mar-17 21:03:25

This doesn't isn't sound nice reading it out in my head either. biscuit

gaaahhhh Mon 06-Mar-17 21:05:10

So.....?

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:05:13

I don't mind it. I did see a friend post something on Facebook recently with defiantly instead of definitely and had to close the laptop because it gives me stabby rage for absolutely no reason at all.

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:05:22

Haha I'm tired and it's been a long day.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 06-Mar-17 21:06:10

It's harmless, so it is.

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:07:11

It's me being picky I know it is. I just get why it's become the norm.

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:07:48

It's also nonsense.

CaoNiMartacus Mon 06-Mar-17 21:07:48

It's better than people who start sentences with "Look..." Sounds so arrogant.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 06-Mar-17 21:10:39

A lot of what we say in informal chat is nonsense.

My husband says 'y'know' instead of 'erm' when he needs a small pause to think. I'd rather he had the 'so...' habit.

sameoldscene Mon 06-Mar-17 21:10:48

For me, the most annoying thing is people on social media that write this: " Today this happened"
Captioning a really mundane shot of their child ^doing something like a child would normally do^grin
So... l'm sorry your issue pales into insignificance op

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:11:51

I think 'so' sounds arrogant. To me it sounds like an assumption on the authors part that you were in the middle of a conversation that the reader genuinely wasn't having.

I know I'm gonna get loads of shit for posting this but it's just a minor annoyance that I wanted to get off my chest.

Voice0fReason Mon 06-Mar-17 21:12:49

So what exactly is it that bothers you about it?

Babymamamama Mon 06-Mar-17 21:13:15

I hate "So. . . " with a vengeance. I find it self important and attention seeking. So . . . YANBU.

ALemonyPea Mon 06-Mar-17 21:13:25

I have a FB friend who starts every status with 'Well' and it really annoys the hell out of me.

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:14:23

I like your use of 'so' same old. It makes grammatical sense because you were following up your statement with something you feel is legitimate. As would any normal person in a conversation

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:15:05

Voiceofreason - all of the aforementioned things

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Mar-17 21:16:22

There's been lots of posts about this lately, OP. You're definitely not the only person it annoys.

'So' at the start of every sentence does seem to be a bit of an annoying trend lately.

Janey50 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:16:30

Not as annoying as people who say 'Yeah right?' every few words. Or everything is 'like' as in 'I was going to the shops,like'. And as for the ones who say 'Yer know?' at the end of every sentence.....angry

ThisAintALoveSong Mon 06-Mar-17 21:19:20

Do they type like that as well Janey? If it's verbal I can handle that as I assume it's just a habit they've fallen into or maybe their regional dialect.

ilovesooty Mon 06-Mar-17 21:20:10

Not going to flame you. I agree.

StrangeLookingParasite Mon 06-Mar-17 21:21:20

But your bugbear 'so' is someone else's 'No. Just no.' Many people hate that too. I have tried to train myself out of getting wound up by conversational tics (though pacific and defiantly still make me clench my teeth).

John4703 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:21:23

I must be old and boring, I try to have correct spelling and grammar in all that I write, that includes posts on here, posts on Facebook and emails.
I do not understand why people do not try to write correct English.
I agree with the OP many things are annoying and wrong.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:23:41

It only sounds right to me in an academic setting, for some reason. "So, taking into account the reaction observed when Potassium Tri-iodide...", rather than " so me and sis got absolutely hammered...".

PyongyangKipperbang Mon 06-Mar-17 21:24:13

So, I was on Youtube? and I was like literally loving this?

Thought you would totes love it? yeah?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCazqVd8jM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now