Talk

Advanced search

To buy an Apple Watch?

(53 Posts)
iPhoneAddiction Mon 06-Mar-17 19:18:49

Can I have you pro's and con's please from anyone that has one or has had one? Thanks!

MissSingerbrains Mon 06-Mar-17 19:42:35

I've had mine since Christmas and I luffs it. I use it for fitness tracking (running and swimming). It's very handy for reading text messages and notifications sneakily/on the go. It's awesome star

Mine only needs charging every other night too, and it charges quickly.

gunsandbanjos Mon 06-Mar-17 19:42:39

I have had one for about 6 months now, love it.

So handy to pay for stuff without digging around for your purse. Never miss a text or phone call as it buzzes on your wrist.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 06-Mar-17 19:49:52

I like mine. I work remotely, so for the first time, having 3 different timezones on my watch is genuinely useful. It also means that my giganto phone can stay on my desk while I'm around the house and I can still see messages/answer calls. The fitness tracker is pretty nice - the waterproofness of the latest one is very appealing, and I may upgrade at some point.

On the downside, it does feel very extravagant for something that is really just icing on a cake - on a plane trip for business recently I realised quite how much tech I was turfing out into the security basket, and it added up to over 2k just in laptop, watch, phone and ipad - it sobered me up a bit and made me hold onto my bag just that bit tighter.

The second thing is, I've got the 'Watch' my DP has the sport version, and his is noticeably lighter enough that I slightly regret mine, except that I'm very impressed with the sapphire glass on mine - I'm very, very clumsy and it's survived 18months of daily wear (and weekly dropping, scraping, dumping in gym bag) without a scratch

whereareyousleep Mon 06-Mar-17 20:05:56

I love mine I need access to my phone which we aren't allowed at work so it allows me to see if I need to make a phone call etc. It works from at least 2 floors away from my phone when I'm at work or home. Disadvantages not many to be fair mine does need charging everyday and by the end of the day I'm ready to take it off as it starts digging in as the back is domed (but that may just be me)

LilacSpatula Mon 06-Mar-17 20:15:19

Had mine two weeks and I love it. You can even use it as a baby monitor if you stay away a just sit your phone on camera facing the cot and you can see on the watch. Awesome.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 06-Mar-17 20:17:25

Oh - yes, where has reminded me - I've never got round to getting a new strap (mainly because they are eyewateringly expensive and I can't justify it to myself) so I use the sports strap that comes with it. It gets very sweaty in summer, and makes my wrist smell like rotten gym socks.

Astoria7974 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:28:48

Depends why you want it.

If as a sports watch - Fitbit or Polar is more reliable and more affordable.

If as a time-piece - better to get a chronograph proper watch

If as a convenient way to read messages/get call notifications - Fitbit is probably better.

If as a status symbol - go for it

Maidupmum Mon 06-Mar-17 20:39:54

Chocchoc the new straps can be bought on eBay for about £6.

MissSingerbrains Mon 06-Mar-17 21:13:57

I had a Fitbit before and I opted for the Apple Watch (and I don't change brands easily). I find it as accurate for tracking; you can have your Strava on it (and the latest update lets you use the watch without the phone); and the waterproofing is what swung it for me. I didn't want a separate swimming tracker and running tracker, and I love the fact that the watch does everything. Nothing to do with being a status symbol smile but yes, ultimately it does depend on what you want it for.

The swimming tracker is awesome btw.

luckylucky24 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:19:01

love mine. Great all round.

Itis6oclocksomewhere Mon 06-Mar-17 21:46:11

Love my Apple Watch, it's very comfortable.
I charge mine every other day.
I prefer it to my old Fitbit.

SantinoRice Mon 06-Mar-17 21:51:18

I've had both Fitbit & an Apple Watch. I don't use my Fitbit at all now - the watch is way more accurate & gives more information. I like the heart rate tracker & love being able to pay for things without getting my wallet out of my bag smile

OverAndAbove Mon 06-Mar-17 21:52:02

Much better than the Fitbit! It's more accurate in every way. The only thing I bemoan about mine is that I can't sync my Aria scales to it...

I agree with the PP re the amount of expensive stuff in your handbag - I had exactly the same thought whilst travelling a couple of weeks ago. BUT it is all replaceable and I actually really like not being sentimental about all the tech

YellowRoss Mon 06-Mar-17 21:54:46

I love mine, I got the newer one that I can swim in, I swim a couple of times a week and it's great for tracking.

Palomb Mon 06-Mar-17 21:57:30

Love mine. Had it almost a year! I work in a customer facing role and it fantastic for enabling me to keep in touch with my life without pissing off my customers or my boss. Genuinely wouldn't be without it, so much better than an old school watch.

SciFiFan2015 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:57:37

Got mine second hand (series 1) as was fed up wearing a watch and a Fitbit flex.
It's ok.
Wish I'd gone for the Fitbit blaze though. Also glad I didn't buy new!

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Mon 06-Mar-17 22:03:24

I love mine.
I love being able to pay without getting my purse out. I use it to answer my phone, to find my phone, to turn on my lights, read and reply to text messages, as a running tracker, to control what is playing on my phone.

As a status symbol? No. I was sat in a mid range chain restaurant in a not hugely well off town at the weekend. Out of the eight other tables of people, one person at least on each table had one. There are five other people where I work who have them.
To say it's a status symbol is like saying having an iPhone is a status symbol. Far too common for that.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Mon 06-Mar-17 22:11:09

Got mine for my birthday in January. Love it slightly more less than my husband.

its great for work, I can see and read my messages without getting my phone out. The fitness trackering is brill, and daft as it sounds I love the timer, which just vibrates discretely on my wrist when times up. I use it constantly at work.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Mon 06-Mar-17 22:15:03

Oh yes the timer is so useful. Especially when baking. Just say, 'set timer for25 minutes' and go.

Palomb Mon 06-Mar-17 22:16:28

I had no idea you could do that!

phoolani Mon 06-Mar-17 22:23:33

Ok, so now I want one. Do I just buy the newest version (series2)? Or is it a more complicated choice than that?

Idrinkandiknowstuff Mon 06-Mar-17 22:28:22

The newest version can be used for swimming and has its own gps, otherwise very little difference from series one, apart from price.

noeuf Mon 06-Mar-17 22:30:00

Does it only work when in range of your iPhone? So not standalone if you leave your phone at home ?

Idrinkandiknowstuff Mon 06-Mar-17 22:33:11

You need your phone nearby for most things, but the range is impressive. Mine works anywhere in the building at work with my phone in my bag. I think the newest one can do a bit more as it has its own gps, but not sure (mines series one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now