Talk

Advanced search

To appeal this Penalty Charge Notice?

(24 Posts)
MerryMarigold Mon 06-Mar-17 17:57:48

So, we went down a 'no entry' road (didn't see the signs).

HOWEVER:

a. No road markings, just signs by the side of the road. The road just suddenly 'becomes' no entry, so these signs are very easily missed. No lines on road to indicate the end of a road.
b. There is not actually anywhere else to go ie. no other roads to the left/ right so it is a fair assumption to make that this would not suddenly turn into a No Entry road. There is no 'No through road' sign when you turn into this road.
c. In the photo, there are 2 cars directly behind us who clearly missed the signs too ie. going down the road 1-3 seconds behind us. We're not just being very ignorant here.

They must be making a mint. I know they will say 'the signage is clear'. However, in context, I don't think signage is clear at all.

MerryMarigold Mon 06-Mar-17 17:59:54

The road basically only gives access to 2 car parks.

MillionToOneChances Mon 06-Mar-17 18:03:09

I'd appeal. I'd go back and take loads of photos to prove the lack of signage. If there's new signage get evidence of how new it is (broken ground/shininess!).

Leggit Mon 06-Mar-17 18:10:57

Sorry but no entry signs at the side of the road are standard sized signs in red and white. If you missed them you should possibly not be driving. I would be far too embarrassed to try and fight that charge

MerryMarigold Mon 06-Mar-17 18:24:34

To be fair, the signs come just before the road narrows into a 1 way where you need to give way, or way be given to you. It's a bit of weird set up, so you are busy examining oncoming traffic/ trying to work out the odd road as a proper driver should, not looking at the side of the road. Not even any stop lines in the road at this point.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Mar-17 19:42:04

You should be just as busy obrying the road signs though!

Iamcheeseman Mon 06-Mar-17 19:44:55

Give us a link for Google Street view and we can decide.

londonrach Mon 06-Mar-17 19:47:20

Could be see photo of the signs please

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:47:29

Unless the signs are obscured in some way I don't see how can win.

Others following you isn't really a defence, sorry, plenty of drivers really are that stupid and play follow the leader.

londonrach Mon 06-Mar-17 19:47:36

We not be

BreatheDeep Mon 06-Mar-17 19:50:15

If there is a weird road set up and the road narrows to a single lane then surely its even more important to check for road signs. And there is never a line where a road suddenly becomes no entry. The lack of a turning left or right, or a turning circle at least, does seem odd though

Scholes34 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:50:38

Were you in Harrow? We had a similar experience there. Don't live in the area, so were trying to map read whilst driving. A check on Streetview showed us the two 'no traffic' signs (the round one with the car and motorbike. We absolutely hadn't seen them, and road markings didn't alert us to the fact that the road became 'buses only', but that was no excuse. We should have seen them. A painful lesson at £65.

springhascome Mon 06-Mar-17 19:51:24

Try putting the address and "penalty charge" into google. See if it's a common problem.

LostSight Mon 06-Mar-17 19:53:56

Could be worse. In Norway it would cost you £500 as well as the points. I kid you not. Unless you already have a lot of points and this puts your licence at risk, then I would just suck it up personally.

UserReuser Mon 06-Mar-17 19:54:05

Is it the new Stratford one? I got deleted done. Used to be able to drive down road, still signs directing you down said road. Massive sign saying you have priority over oncoming traffic as the road narrows. Small sign saying no entry for cars behind, your brain just processes the priority sign and the direction sign. Basically you are directed onto the road, but then the only thing to do after 100 yards is do a u turn and go back on yourself.

My one and only ever fine.... still cross!!

Tartyflette Mon 06-Mar-17 20:05:00

I think it's always worth appealing against a penalty charge if the circumstances are unclear and this might fall into that category. Take photos yourself and explain as fully as possible. If they don't allow the appeal ask what they will be doing to improve signage as it's obviously a problem , seeing as two more cars followed you up the street.
See if there's anything on social media (council's FB pages, Twitter) about this particular set-up -- it does sound odd and other people may well have come a cropper there.

RortyCrankle Mon 06-Mar-17 21:14:55

You sound like an old friend of mine who when I commented that she had just driven through red traffic lights, responded with 'well I can't look at everything at once' shock

So the sign was there, it was visible, I don't see how you have any grounds to appeal. It's nonsense to say so you are busy examining oncoming traffic/ trying to work out the odd road as a proper driver should, not looking at the side of the road You need to do just that. You're going to get into major trouble if you only concentrate on one aspect of the road. Have you actually passed your test?

MerryMarigold Tue 07-Mar-17 10:38:24

Have you actually passed your test?

I love AIBU. Yes, I have been driving for 23 years accident and point free. But anyway, it was dh driving - and he has been driving the same length of time as me, again no points or accidents. We both didn't see the signs. You directed down this road with road signs PLUS there is no way out of this road PLUS there is an unusual road set up coming up (with it's own signs to follow), just after (like 20m) the point of the no entry signs. All those put together would mean a lot/ most drivers miss this if going for the first time. It is a money spinner for sure.

Dh did put it into a search and turned up a lot of people who had same problem.

User Reuser: Is it the new Stratford one? I got deleted done. Used to be able to drive down road, still signs directing you down said road. Massive sign saying you have priority over oncoming traffic as the road narrows. Small sign saying no entry for cars behind, your brain just processes the priority sign and the direction sign. Basically you are directed onto the road, but then the only thing to do after 100 yards is do a u turn and go back on yourself.

It is EXACTLY that one. Glad to hear we are in good company. Did you appeal. I am so cross about it. I want to request the number of penalties they dole out here vs some other similar places. I bet it is HUGE. My point being: the signage is totally inadequate/ confusing. The ones dh read on google said the local authority always lose this one when it is taken to the next step, but not sure I want to risk it. I guess that is what the council are hoping people will feel.

RainbowPastel Tue 07-Mar-17 11:15:19

It doesn't cost you anything to appeal. You sound like you are making excuses though if the sign was there then you and your DH failed to see it.

UserReuser Tue 07-Mar-17 12:38:20

On balance I paid, I was so cross. But I looked at appeals etc and with a disabled child I'd never manage to actually get there realistically to represent as I have no child/ find the travelling hard.

Still annoyed though

UserReuser Tue 07-Mar-17 12:45:45

There we go!
Arrows to show you path of car from main road towards shopping centre, road had always been two way. No entry sign is skew at kerb so harder to see, 45 degree angle to kerb and behind other large sign saying you have priority.

Frankly it seems like a deliberate trap

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 07-Mar-17 12:54:35

If it's the one I think I've found then there are some threads in pepipoo about it (e.g here )

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 07-Mar-17 13:17:51

You can also search londontribunals.org.uk for details of previous appeals. Again, if it's the one I'm thinking of then it does seem to be decided on the whim of the adjudicator.

MerryMarigold Tue 07-Mar-17 19:46:22

Thanks for help whatscomingover the hill and lovely diagram User

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now