Talk

Advanced search

To think fire tricks are suitable entertainment for a 4th birthday party?

(35 Posts)
RumStuff Mon 06-Mar-17 14:44:10

We're having an entertainer at our son's birthday party and have the option to include some controlled tricks with fire (juggling/eating). I think it would be great fun, but my husband thinks we'll be the cause of copycat acts and end up having to move house because a child gets injured and we'd get the blame! Would you be horrified/delighted/indifferent if this happened at a party your 4 year old was at? Do you think they'd like it?

Pommes Mon 06-Mar-17 14:45:05

Sounds great. We took our 3yo to the circus and he saw fire tricks. He still talks about them 2 years later.

Astoria7974 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:11:04

Sounds good. Not your problem if kids try to copy - parents should be teaching their kids about safety etc

mummymeister Mon 06-Mar-17 15:12:32

tbh I would check with the other parents - put something on the invite or just speak to them. I wouldn't personally have a problem but there will be some parents who do.

Primaryteach87 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:14:38

^agree with the above.

I would think it was fun but would appreciate a heads up so I can reiterate the 'don't do this at home' message.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 06-Mar-17 15:19:05

Sorry to go against the here, but. There's no way I'd take my child to something like that. Yes I know they're well trained and organised, but. Accidents can happen to the most careful of people.
I'm a H&S freek. I'll hold my hands up.
Children are far too precious to take any risks.
I remember an incident about 10 years ago where a mum took her daughter to a fireworks display. The fireworker handler accidentally dropped the fire work on her.
Which killed her.

redexpat Mon 06-Mar-17 15:21:57

Inside or outside? Id prefer outside and it sounds friggin awesome.

levoielesoleil Mon 06-Mar-17 15:23:57

Honestly? I'd be horrified. Quite over the top and inappropriate for a 4yo's party. Can't you just do musical chairs or something?

user1486737884 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:27:02

Wouldn't like it myself, although I'm sure it would go down well with the kids.
I think they are too young though so I would say no.

mummymeister Mon 06-Mar-17 15:27:14

I think at 4 some children would struggle to understand that this was a trick. older children say 9 or 10 no problem but for a 4 year old - sounds like you are trying a bit too hard if I am honest. my 4 year old parties had entertainers who did punch and judy and balloon magic and with a bit of running around type games this was sort of enough. some 4 year olds would struggle to sit still I guess as well.

its a lovely idea for when they are older OP not really something when they are pre-schoolers imo.

pasturesgreen Mon 06-Mar-17 15:29:28

I'm terrified of fire, so I'd be grateful for a heads up.

TeenAndTween Mon 06-Mar-17 15:29:31

unnecessary and unwise imo

TeenAndTween Mon 06-Mar-17 15:31:16

Would like to see the risk assessment for this.
Insurance of location may not be too happy either.

Bringmewineandcake Mon 06-Mar-17 15:46:23

My 4 year old would be terrified so it'd be a no from us.

SheSaidHeSaid Mon 06-Mar-17 15:48:09

It seems a bit much for a 4 year old son party.

I'd be worried too about safety and would want to know all sorts before I decide attendance - where the fire will be, where the kids will be, where you found the entertainer and who they are etc

SheSaidHeSaid Mon 06-Mar-17 15:48:38

Not son, meant '4 year olds party'

Sirzy Mon 06-Mar-17 15:51:15

Seems an odd choice for 4 year olds!

ARumWithAView Mon 06-Mar-17 15:51:42

I have a nearly-four-year-old and I wouldn't be that thrilled. Kids watching someone do fire tricks at a circus or something is different from seeing it done at home, right when they're at an age where you're still emphasizing fire safety, risk awareness etc. My DD knows not to touch fire, but I still wouldn't leave her alone in a room with a lit candle within reach, because there's still a small chance that fascination will overcome reason and I can't 100% trust her judgement. Watching someone in her friend's house 'eat' fire and throw it around completely undercuts this! What's the encore - a bit of knife-juggling?

Are preschoolers really the target market for this kind of entertainment? I can imagine it being great for older kids, but it's a weird choice for little children who, as someone else has already said, are usually quite thrilled by the most mundane party games. It does seem more parent-led: a bit 'look at us, we're so edgy and different and not at all uptight' (even if that's not your intention at all).

MirandaWest Mon 06-Mar-17 16:08:49

It seems a bit over the top to me - if you're having fire tricks at a 4 year olds party what are you going to do for future parties? Where is the party being held?

PCDC Mon 06-Mar-17 16:09:52

I agree with your DH, daft idea for the age group.

DoggyMadMum Mon 06-Mar-17 16:12:13

Seems a bit much to me, a random guy in a very tight fitting / threadbare Spider-Man suit (as per 5 year olds party I went to yesterday) should do it - they were thrilled!!

RebelRogue Mon 06-Mar-17 16:21:13

Sounds awesome and I know DD would love it. She still talks about the fire show on holiday. I wouldn't worry she would "try it at home", but unless it's in an open place(outside) i would be uneasy about it. You can't guarantee all the 4yo won't get scared,will keep safe distance,won't try to touch or run about etc.

megletthesecond Mon 06-Mar-17 16:23:44

I wouldn't. Too risky and too much potential for copycats.

SheepyFun Mon 06-Mar-17 16:33:43

I'm clearly less risk averse than some - it sounds great. Mind you, we went to a 3 yo birthday party where there were indoor fireworks. Set off by the local vicar. It was in a hall, so children were at a good distance. I'm guessing you've checked how much space is needed?

EB123 Mon 06-Mar-17 16:39:58

My 4 year old would be scared, I don't think he would fully understand that it is a trick. Older kids would enjoy it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now