Talk

Advanced search

Universal Credit :-(

(179 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:31:24

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/01/universal-credit-hits-families-with-children-hardest-study-finds?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-2

LovelyBath77 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:37:53

Just that, really. Think when it kicks in is going to be awful for many families, but seems to be going through un-noticed unlike the similar cuts to tax credits and the fuss with that.

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:42:49

From what I have read of UC so far it all seems quite complicated. I think under UC couples which have a sahp will need to have the sahp looking for work once the dc's are school aged if the working parent doesn't earn enough. To be honest I think this is fair enough. Also I know a few lone parents with one teenage dc who still work only 16 hours ( despite being offered extra hours or a second job). I understand why they stick to 16 hours as they are no better off working more, but the system needs to change. The article says in couples where one parent is working part time, they will have to work the equivalent of 2 extra days. To be honest, living in a household where we both work full time around each other to afford our kids ( and therefore sacrifice family time), I find it hard to have much sympathy for a couple having to work a few more hours because only one of them works part time.

gillybeanz Mon 06-Mar-17 14:43:35

I don't think it's going ahead unnoticed, but there's very little we can do about it.
They don't care about the poor, no conservative government ever have to be fair.

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:44:47

Or does it mean where the second parent works part time? The article doesn't make it very clear really.

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:46:25

There are a lot of things about UC which are going to hit people hard like having to wait 5 weeks for payment ( making budgeting harder) and no housing element for under 25's. Also you can only apply online and not everyone has access to a computer.

LovelyBath77 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:46:56

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it is the incessantly which is difficult as well. What about families where one parent is too ill to work, things like that. It is not always so simple.

LovelyBath77 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:47:16

uncertainty. I meant

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:48:41

I think if one parent cannot work then there will be protection if disabled the same as there is now. Also if one half of a couple is a carer for the other, there is no conditionality to look for work,

LovelyBath77 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:50:41

I hear they are taking things away though, like there are top ups with tax credits for the disabled which are being removed with UC. As well as the general cuts. they are very anti disabled at the mo, as we can see with the PIP cuts so not really a suprise I guess

Janetizzy30 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:52:11

I am classed as too I'll too work but I still look (chronic and mental health illnesses) its hard, I also have a disabled son whom my dh deals with on a bad as I no longer can, so my dh is dealing with 2 people to care for. It is hard and sad that people don't work where they can. I would have loved to have a job out of the house as would my dh but it is impossible

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:54:27

PIP won't Be a part of UC and is non means tested.

scoobydooagain Mon 06-Mar-17 14:54:33

Not sure what the answer is but the current system does need changing. The only need to work 16 hour for a single parent or not much more for a couple does not help people in the long run. Career progression hampered, pension contributions reduced and the realisation when the children get older the tax credits will stop.

expatinscotland Mon 06-Mar-17 14:55:26

YANBU

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 14:56:51

Totally agree Scooby. I have colleagues facing this situation right now.

gillybeanz Mon 06-Mar-17 14:58:29

I don't think there are many parents only working 16 hours and refusing more. I've never come across one tbh.
Most jobs are pt now and it's hard if not impossible to fit another one in due to the hours.
Unless you work regular set hours, all at once and can find a job that wants the remaining free hours you have, how can it be done

I find it hard to have much sympathy for a couple having to work a few more hours because only one of them works part time.

That's nice

SurlyValentine Mon 06-Mar-17 15:00:36

Universal Credit is a bloody mess. Claims are taking up to 10 weeks to assess, and longer in some areas.

One London borough has seen their rent collection rate of 98% drop to 72% for UC customers. UC customers' arrears account for 38% of total rent arrears, even though they only make up 9% of tenants. Obviously, I'm not expecting may tears to be shed for the drop in the council's revenue, but UC is putting tenancies in jeopardy all over the country.

sodorisland Mon 06-Mar-17 15:01:29

I care for my son with autism. I cant work as he has appointment. Under uc we will lose a few hundred pound a month that we use on things for him to do. I am dreading when my area starts this.

brasty Mon 06-Mar-17 15:06:44

I am most concerned about under 25s having no access to housing benefit.

Mrsemcgregor Mon 06-Mar-17 15:06:50

When is it actually going to be countrywide? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of preparing people for the change.

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 15:08:54

me too Bratsy - not everyone has family they can live with, it will hit vulnerable young people hard.

KathArtic Mon 06-Mar-17 15:09:45

That's nice I agree when we work hard and struggle sometimes but we find get any help.

Babyroobs Mon 06-Mar-17 15:09:58

I think it will be rolled out by 2019 ( I may be wrong).

KathArtic Mon 06-Mar-17 15:13:42

don't

KathArtic Mon 06-Mar-17 15:13:43

don't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now