Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AMBI to want my neighbours to move their Xmas tree from my front garden?

(16 Posts)
WantingBaby1 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:32:03

So my neighbours missed the deadline for the council to take the Xmas trees away during the second week of jan. They don't have a front garden and we allow them to use our v small front garden to house their bins.

They have a nanny who very helpfully takes in any deliveries that we get during the day when DH and I are out at work, which we're v grateful for and don't want to rock the boat.

However, their (dead) Xmas tree is still in our front garden! Its march! Is it unreasonable for me to ask them to move it? We are moving out in a few weeks and I think its a bit unreasonable for the new owners to have to deal with it. Surely they need to take it to the tip/phone the council/compost it?!

GloGirl Mon 06-Mar-17 12:34:15

Oh my god yanbu!!!! So scruffy looking, tell them to remove it.

MummaBear14 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:36:21

YANBU, politely ask them to move it as you are tidying up for when you move out. They should have taken it to be disposed of by now, but they are probably hoping that you will deal with it or the tree will be taken with the rubbish collections.

PlumsGalore Mon 06-Mar-17 12:38:31

Yes, ask them to move it. What happens when you move out? the new occupiers will think you have left it for them which isn't fair. If I were the new occupiers I wouldn't want their bin in my garden either.

WatchingIZombie Mon 06-Mar-17 14:36:52

I absolutely wouldn't want bins in my front garden either. It's worth having a quick conversation with your neighbours to let them know you're moving so they'll have to move the bins before the new owners arrive, otherwise it's really unfair on the new owners to come home to their new house and start off on a bad/awkward foot having to ask the neighbours themselves to move them.

blankmind Mon 06-Mar-17 15:02:58

Why can't the neighbours chop the dead branches off with secateurs, then lop or saw the trunk into 2 or 3 foot sections and dispose of it all in their own garden waste bin? It's a 15 minute job, no skills required.

I'd also mention they need to move their bins permanently,and do as everyone else who has no front garden does. It's not going to be nice for the new owners to have to sort that out.

SomethingBorrowed Mon 06-Mar-17 15:04:57

Ask them to get rid of it.

We had a situation last year when someone dropped their Christmas tree in front garden, and as we don't have a car we weren't in a position to transport it anywhere so I would just push it on the pavement on bin day, and the bin men would push it back inside. Until one day I saw then, opened my window and told them it wasn't my tree so please stop putting it back in my garden, and they took it away.

HecateAntaia Mon 06-Mar-17 15:08:25

if you're moving in a few weeks who cares about rocking the boat? Tell them to shift it.

also - the new occupants of your home might not want the neighbours bins stored on their property so you should probably suggest to the neighbours that they don't make that assumption.

MaryMcCarthy Mon 06-Mar-17 15:15:49

In what world would it be unreasonable to ask them to move it? What a bizarre question.

Floggingmolly Mon 06-Mar-17 15:20:28

Are they your upstairs neighbour's? Are you sure they don't have the right to use the front garden?

SheSaidHeSaid Mon 06-Mar-17 15:23:35

Definitely ask them to move it because you're leaving soon and everything needs to be tidy

WantingBaby1 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:49:19

Thanks for the advice. They're not upstairs neighbours but as they have no space for their bins due to the set up of the terraced houses the last owners allowed them to use their (our) front garden and we've always honoured that agreement.

I wondered whether it would be unreasonable to ask bc they've been so good at taking in out parcels when we're at work, we probably have one delivered every couple of weeks. We always collect the same or next day but even still, I don't want them to think we're ungrateful.

I will ask. Only fair for the new occupants not to have a dead tree in their front garden!

Thank you

Floggingmolly Mon 06-Mar-17 15:57:29

You're not remotely unreasonable. Having their bins constantly in your garden is above and beyond the call of duty, they really shouldn't dump things the binmen won't collect.
We had to drag ours to a collection point at the local park!

ThePants999 Mon 06-Mar-17 16:10:16

If you're a tenant and you're moving out, you'll need to leave the property in the condition matching the check-in. If you're owners and you've sold, you need to grant the new owners "vacant possession", i.e. there needs to be nothing on the property when they turn up that wasn't on the fixtures & fittings list.

In other words, not only do they need to get rid of this tree, you should also explain to them that the bin arrangement lapses when you move out and they need to make a new arrangement with the new occupiers - you can't agree on their behalf!

harderandharder2breathe Mon 06-Mar-17 16:44:15

Yanbu and ywbu to leave it as a problem for the next person in your house. It's also time to chat about the bins

emmyrose2000 Tue 07-Mar-17 02:43:32

You must sort this out before you move. I would be absolutely LIVID to find someone else's rubbish and/or bins on my new property when I moved in.

I wouldn't care what arrangements previous owners had made with the neighbours re the bins, I wouldn't want them on my property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now