Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know of any good free or very cheap learning to read apps for I pad for a reception year child

(10 Posts)
Aeroflotgirl Mon 06-Mar-17 10:29:13

Hi I am posting here for traffic. My son who has just turned 5 is in reception, and knows his letter sounds and can Identify them, but needs to learn to blend. He has a developmental delay of about 1 year and has a speech delay which the speech therapy assistant at his mainstream school is involved. He loves learning and wants to learn and is making progress at school.

Does anybody know of any free or cheap app on the i pad to help, that does not involve subscribing.

Faithless12 Mon 06-Mar-17 10:38:20

Joy of Reading will help but you need to sit with him.
We also use Me Books, however it's not really for teaching reading. DS is often 'lazy' so he lets the iPad read to him.

Sirzy Mon 06-Mar-17 10:39:47

You would be best talking to school to find out how best to support what they are doing in school. They will be able to reccomend things which support the schemes they use

jellyfrizz Mon 06-Mar-17 12:27:13

My children loved Reading Eggs, it's not free but there's usually a free trial

Aeroflotgirl Mon 06-Mar-17 12:29:09

Thanks everyone, for your help, he likes the i pad and I think would respond better.

TheRealPooTroll Mon 06-Mar-17 12:32:47

The Alphablocks game on the CBeebies website is great for blending.

Astoria7974 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:47:20

Find out which phonics readers they use at nursery and get the set? Use phonics games? That's what I did for my neice but she learned how to read at 3 so maybe it's different for school aged kids.

BirdInTheRoom Mon 06-Mar-17 13:15:19

Reading Eggs is good - they have a discount currently and I think it's about £33 for the year. Otherwise the Jolly Phonics Sounds app is good but only covers sounds and basic blending.

BirdInTheRoom Mon 06-Mar-17 13:15:45

Reading Eggs is a website btw.

Millionprammiles Mon 06-Mar-17 13:37:45

We use Oxford Owl - you need to register your details but its free. Lots of resources on there as well as free books.
The school also recommended the Bugs books website but I think we received log in details from the school so not sure if its free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now