Talk

Advanced search

Vomit - AIBU to not have got over this yet?

(13 Posts)
blissey Sun 05-Mar-17 22:02:54

This is a bit of a weird one. I guess it's not so much an AIBU as an 'exactly how insane am I?'
I have always had a fear of vomiting. Fortunately I vomit very rarely, maybe once a year. My DH is sick a bit more often, but I never see it.
Anyway, about two months ago we were staying at my parents', and as the toilet was occupied, DH projectile vomited all over my parents' house. He went straight to bed afterwards. My mum and I had to clean it up - it was horrible and took ages. He even managed to hit the ceiling.
Now I still get flashbacks at the most inconvenient times, like when DH and I are eating or when he burps or when he kisses me. It's really putting me off and making me feel sick. He is totally unaware of this (and, incidentally, hasn't been sick since).
How insane is this? Will it go away?

MaximaDeWit Sun 05-Mar-17 22:09:19

I can completely sympathise. I used to commute by train and one Christmas on a fairly empty train a woman near me was sick. I was quite blasé at the time and offered her a tissue but as the weeks went on I thought about it a lot and there was a time a few month's later when I had to get off busy trains if I thought someone near me might be sick as I'd have nowhere to escape to.

It has got better, especially having had kids and being vomited on a lot, but it does still affect me more than other people. If DH or someone is sick I can feel my heart rate pick up to the point it feels like my chest will burst and I have blood rushing in my ears. I also replay the sound in my head over and over afterwards which stresses me out but it sort of addictive.

It's really horrible and I don't understand how some people can be so calm around vomit/people vomiting. Even the word makes me shudder. flowers

blissey Sun 05-Mar-17 22:14:43

Sorry to have mentioned the v-word, Maxima smile

alltogethernow123 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:47:17

Oh my goodness how on earth did it happen??? Maybe I'm very sheltered but I've never known an adult to do this - a child yes but not an adult.

I don't have a fear of vomit but you're describing an exorcist like situ and I'd be freaked the fuck out too

pinkiepie1 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:56:14

Ooh I'm with you I have a fear of vomit. My dd is 3 and has just got over a sickness bug, poor dh had to change all the covers and everything cos I was gagging on the smell... In my defence I am pregnant so everything smells 1000x stronger.
I leaped out of bed 29wk pregnant managed not to fall all because she was laid next to me and I thought she was going to be sick near my face. But I feel bad cos I wont share my food or drink, as I'm petrified ill catch it.
A vomiting phobia is actually more common than you would think.

Ankleswingers Sun 05-Mar-17 23:03:16

You aren't alone with your fear op. I have it severely.

It is awful. Debilitating, terrifying, exhausting and bloody annoying.

If I didn't have children, I don't doubt that I would become agoraphobic.

I have had this phobia since I was seven. The last few years have been really bad.

flowers for you op.

haveacupoftea Sun 05-Mar-17 23:18:57

Why didnt he clean it himself? Dirty brute.

blissey Mon 06-Mar-17 14:24:35

I know haveacupoftea. He's a man. He felt sorry for himself. Well, my mum and I felt sorry for ourselves too! He hasn't been invited back.

passmethewineplease Mon 06-Mar-17 14:28:36

You're not alone in your fear OP, ematophobia is actually quite common.

I haven't suffered from it myself but my sister has, it completely rules parts of her life. She won't touch door handles without being covered, she will not drink, she won't be around anyone with even a hint of illness. It's caused her no end of issues.

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Mar-17 14:30:34

To be fair, if he was vomiting so hard it hit the ceiling (wtf?) he probably wasn't in any fit state to clean it up. Did he not feel it coming on?

ememem84 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:47:25

I'm a bit like this. Or was. A tummy bug 2 years ago made me realise that it was horrible. But. I go through it.

Dh is away at present. He flew to nz on Saturday. Told me this morning that someone on the second leg of his trip threw up on the plane behind him. That's my worst nightmare. I hate to fly too. But puke on a plane and I'll want to get off. Luckily he said it was almost at the end of the flight... but still. Eugh!

Skatingonthinice16 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:56:46

I'm not phobic of being sick myself or other people apart from my children. I am very phobic of my children being sick. It is ruining my life and theirs. I also prefer not to go out and I prefer not to take them out too really.
Dd is 14 months and has never been swimming, to soft play, to baby groups or to the library... I will only grudgingly take her anywhere.

blissey Mon 06-Mar-17 14:56:46

He did feel it coming on, BarbarianMum, but as my mum was on the loo he couldn't go in there. I told him to go in the bathroom and use the bath, but he panicked and dithered and started pacing up and down (I wish he'd listen to his wife for once!).
My parents are the most house proud people ever to have walked this earth and their house is white, clean and minimalist. Hence the extreme splattering shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now