Talk

Advanced search

...to ask a kind, French-speaking Mumsnetter to translate for me?

(25 Posts)
cheremanu Sun 05-Mar-17 18:02:41

My (French) gran on my Dad's side is getting on and now struggles to understand when I write to her in English.

I'm teaching myself how to write in French but it's a slow process. I want to send her a card with a couple of paragraphs and a few photos - if I were to wrote the text here in English is there anybody who'd kindly translate it for me?

Twirlstwirlstwirls Sun 05-Mar-17 18:03:42

Try Google translate - free to use and very easy to access.

Inadays Sun 05-Mar-17 18:05:00

If you send me a pm with the text I'm happy to do it for you smile

ImperialBlether Sun 05-Mar-17 18:05:02

There are always a few French MNetters on here, but if you're stuck I can ask my daughter who has a French degree.

myoriginal3 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:06:12

This is why I loves MN. No matter how obscure a request, there is always someone to help.

Klaphat Sun 05-Mar-17 18:06:56

Ideally you want someone whose native language is French, if the target language is French. Though I suppose you just want someone who writes better French than you at this point!

frenchfancy Sun 05-Mar-17 18:08:09

Please don't use google. It is ok for a starting point but is very unreliable.

kitnkaboodle Sun 05-Mar-17 18:09:01

Please don't use Google translate ...sad

kitnkaboodle Sun 05-Mar-17 18:09:42

Hah! You get the idea!

cheremanu Sun 05-Mar-17 18:09:50

My experience of Google translate is that it can screw up the grammar a fair bit. I have used it in the past with limited success.

Thank you so much, Inadays. I'm on the mobile chat app** so can't pm - hope it's ok if I just put it here? There's nothing identifiable really!

Dear Manu,

How are you? Dad has told me about your new home; how are you settling in?

We are all doing well. Lucy is growing so quickly and learning new things every day. She can walk now and chats away with some real words and some made up ones.

I wrote to you with some photos at the time you moved and I'm not sure if you received them or not. So I thought I'd send you some new ones. I hope you enjoy them.

All my love, Cheremanu. x

Inadays Sun 05-Mar-17 18:22:27

Hi Chere, will do when home from the computer if that's ok as am out and about on my phone at the moment!

SoleBizzz Sun 05-Mar-17 18:26:25

Ca va?

Ine baguette de jambo mm yummy

Je photographs in de card

Bonjour

cheremanu Sun 05-Mar-17 18:29:01

Sole

merci pour le translaitione.
C'est tres bon et tres quicke.
Donne moi under peu de votre jambon, s'il vous plait?

Supercool.

cheremanu Sun 05-Mar-17 18:29:53

Inadays, thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

PuddleJumper01 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:33:14

Le chat attends a la fentetre (there might be some acutes and graves missing and maybe a hat). Don't think you should ask me for help!

Although I'm quite good at swears

SoleBizzz Sun 05-Mar-17 18:34:22

Cher om sorry I do not read Chinese. Only French.

BertieBotts Sun 05-Mar-17 18:43:04

One tip with Translate. Write in French, then run it through Translate to check that you haven't written a load of gobbledegook.

CasperGutman Sun 05-Mar-17 18:57:17

Google translate is very much better than nothing at all - I might well have starved during three week-long work trips to a small, non-touristy Japanese town last year. It's not great at idiom and grammar though. As others have said, you need a fluent speaker of the target language for that.

Branleuse Sun 05-Mar-17 19:00:57

google translate is a lot better than it used to be. Even if its not perfect, its better than not writing to your nana at all

TheFirie Sun 05-Mar-17 19:11:24

Chère Manu,

Comment vas-tu? Papa m'a dit de ta nouvelle maison. Tu t'y sens chez toi?

Nous, nous allons bien. Lucy grandit si vite et elle apprend de nouvelles chose chaque jour. Elle marche maintenant, elle parle également avec des vrais mots et parfois avec des mots qu'elle invente.

Je t'avais envoyé des photos quand tu as emménagé. Je ne sais pas si tu les as reçues, donc je t'en envoie des nouvelles. J'espère qu'elles te plairont.

Je t'embrasse, Cheramu

Inadays Sun 05-Mar-17 19:38:52

Just got in Cheremanu, but someone has obviously beaten me to it sad.
I would add an 's' after 'chose' by the way on the second line of the second paragraph as it's plural (nouvelles choses).

You sound like a lovely granddaughter by the way!

ememem84 Sun 05-Mar-17 19:48:19

Le singe eat dans la poste et ils Porte une chapeau Jeaune

pimmsy Sun 05-Mar-17 19:50:58

Dear Manu,

Chère Manu,

How are you? Dad has told me about your new home; how are you settling in?

Comment-vas tu? Papa m'a raconté que tu avais une nouvelle maison, comment t'y sens tu, tu commences a être bien installée ?

We are all doing well. Lucy is growing so quickly and learning new things every day. She can walk now and chats away with some real words and some made up ones.

Ici, tout va bien. Lucy grandit très vite et apprends de nouvelles choses de jour en jour. Elle marche désormais, et elle commence a discuter avec nous, quelques vrais mots et un peu de babillage.

I wrote to you with some photos at the time you moved and I'm not sure if you received them or not. So I thought I'd send you some new ones. I hope you enjoy them.

Je t'avais écrit lors de ton démenagement avec des photos, je ne sais pas si tu les as réçues, au cas ou, en voici de nouvelles. J'espère qu'elles te plaisent.

All my love, Cheremanu. x

Je t'embrasse,

pimmsy Sun 05-Mar-17 19:52:34

Just seen that TheFirie beat me too it !

I would however change this phrase "Papa m'a dit de ta nouvelle maison" to "Papa me dit que tu as une nouvelle maison"

cheremanu Sun 05-Mar-17 20:46:39

Amazing, thanks so much all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now