Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have a household income of 26k & have 3 dc what do you get in tax credits?

(25 Posts)
LexiPea Sun 05-Mar-17 17:14:50

I am sorry if this is nosey blush ....But as my thread title says, I would really appreciate if any posters with the same income / amount of DCs would please let me know what they get in tax credits.

Basically I am worried we have been getting too much. DH earns 20k, (before tax). I earn 6k. We have 3 DC and have been getting £112 a week since last april's renewal. Prior to that used to get about £80 but I earnt a little bit more back then (about 1000 a year but had my hours cut). It just seems too good to be true tbh and it really helps us. But I am starting to worry about next month when the tax credits renewal packs start going out, I am worried we are going to end up getting a lot less and/or having to pay back an overpayment as it just seems loads. But we gave them all the correct info re income. However I realise they can still fuck up and often do

(Also I realise this may wind up the Daily mail types in here, us low earners getting our "free money" and that, but they can get fucked)

Anyway, any helpful replies would be appreciated very much x

Wando1986 Sun 05-Mar-17 17:17:05

Check the tax credits calculator online. Sounds about right though.

LexiPea Sun 05-Mar-17 17:18:40

Oh thank you, is there one blush I didn't know! Where would I find it please?

SestraClone Sun 05-Mar-17 17:19:01

£96 a week

blackistheneworange Sun 05-Mar-17 17:22:15

www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx

LexiPea Sun 05-Mar-17 17:37:30

Hmmmm the calculator says £111 per week so hopefully its correct then.

Would still be interested to hear if others are getting similar amounts as I don't trust the tax credits office been stung before :D

LexiPea Sun 05-Mar-17 17:38:20

and thank you for the posts and the link x

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 05-Mar-17 17:38:56

That's about what we get. Salary £25k. Reduced this year because I got a fairly generous bonus last year.

RainbowPastel Sun 05-Mar-17 18:00:18

The age of your children can affect it as I believe you get more for a baby.

RapidlyOscillating Sun 05-Mar-17 18:07:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZefStar Sun 05-Mar-17 18:53:01

Do you claim for childcare? May be correct if so

LexiPea Sun 05-Mar-17 21:51:03

The youngest is 4 so not a baby

And I don't claim for childcare, I don't need childcare as Dh and I work round each other.

Thanks, Feel less worried now!

felinewonderful Mon 06-Mar-17 07:47:06

I also wondered how much this would mean with that income and 3dc, the calculator says £112 per week but I am never sure whether to trust that or not!

LexiPea Wed 08-Mar-17 17:06:07

Yep that's exactly what I get now feline

It does seem pretty accurate tbf although I do think the tax credit office sometimes just pluck random figures out of the air!

When DC3 was born our money went up from about £80 a week to about £160 (same income) then randomly they decided they were paying us too much lol. And were hit with an overpayment and it got slashed to about £70 / 80 a week. Then at last years renewal it went up to the £112. Bizarre still at least we aren't on UC yet

Kikikaakaa Wed 08-Mar-17 17:15:12

I earn less than that and have less kids and get less than that. I get £97pw
Makes no sense.

Kikikaakaa Wed 08-Mar-17 17:19:59

Maybe it does make sense I just put it in the calculator it came out £480 per month with 3 kids and £26k which is around £111pw

DixieNormas Wed 08-Mar-17 17:20:47

It can depend if you are single or not, how many dc you have and their ages.

Im not sure they know how to work it out themselves, they seem to over pay so many times

LexiPea Wed 08-Mar-17 17:53:17

Yeah it will be the "less kids" bit giving you a slightly lesser amount Kiki

And yes so true Dixienormus!

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 17:55:28

Yes it is a lot but the amounts do sound about right to me. I saw a client the other day with a very similar household income and one child and they were entitltled to around £40 a week, so that amount for 3 kids sounds about right.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 17:57:56

Rainbow - the extra element for a baby was disbanded about 5 years ago. It does not exist and the age of children is irrelevant. there is more paid for disabled children.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 18:02:48

Also you do not get different tax credits because you are a single parent, they are worked out purely on household income. You can have lots of savings in the bank and still get them if on a low income. If you have lots of kids you can still get them on a much higher income too as currently with each child the threshold rises. However from April 6th this is all changing and you will get no extra tax credits for a third child.

Babbaganush Wed 08-Mar-17 18:09:24

Same income but 2 children, one is disabled, we get £145 per week.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 18:16:11

Having a disabled child boosts tax credits significantly so perhaps hard to compare figures.

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 18:24:35

There are also online tax credit calculaters where you can check.

LexiPea Wed 08-Mar-17 18:34:31

Yeah my friend gets the disability element, it changes things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now