Talk

Advanced search

To assume all MNers are UK based?

(61 Posts)
highinthesky Sun 05-Mar-17 15:43:11

grin

I've come unstuck before thinking that everyone benefits from the same NHS etc....

SallyInSweden Sun 05-Mar-17 15:43:57

...bad assumption!

ilovesooty Sun 05-Mar-17 15:45:07

I can think of a few in the USA, one in Australia, one in France, one in Germany, one in the Netherlands, one in Belgium and one in Sweden.

HecateAntaia Sun 05-Mar-17 15:45:16

you'd be wrong.
while the majority of active (posting) mners appear to be uk based there are still loads who are elsewhere in the world.

lougle Sun 05-Mar-17 15:45:33

Well I don't know if YABU, but you're wrong smile. There are MNers from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, .... in fact the list just goes on.

iklboo Sun 05-Mar-17 15:45:40

I know MNers in USA, Canada, Germany, ROI, Greece, Australia, New Zealand & Singapore. Most are probably in UK but we're everywhere (evil laugh) smile

KC225 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:48:25

I was in London but moved to Sweden two years ago. I think there are a few of us here

highinthesky Sun 05-Mar-17 16:05:00

Where do you live SallyInSweden? wink

FruSkogKattOla Sun 05-Mar-17 16:10:44

When I first joined MN, some years ago, I assumed that MNers were all UK based. It only took me a short period of time to realise that there are MNers who live all over the world!

SockQueen Sun 05-Mar-17 16:18:06

It depends on context. If thinking of MN as a whole, I know that there are lots of women from other countries.

But if someone is posting about a problem with e.g. school/doctors/baby classes or something that could be different in another country, and DOESN'T specify that they're in another country, I would tend to reply assuming that they're UK-based. Is that what you were meaning, OP?

Klaphat Sun 05-Mar-17 16:18:19

Also in Scandinavia.

amispartacus Sun 05-Mar-17 16:23:10

Generally it's much quieter in the early morning UK time which would suggest that there are not many people posting who are outside the UK, Western European time zones.

Maybe 80% UK / 20 %.non UK

That's a go to figure. The 80/20 rule. It works 80% of the time. grin

pringlecat Sun 05-Mar-17 16:29:02

There seem to be plenty of MNers who don't live in the UK, but most of them (in my experience) seem to have lived in the UK at one point or other.

PNGirl Sun 05-Mar-17 16:35:43

I think it's helpful to specify where you are when asking for advice about things like problem landlords, buying a house, employment issues, and other things where rights and regulations differ country to country. I get annoyed on behalf of posters who type long helpful replies and then the poster goes "Oh, I'm in France by the way".

Natsku Sun 05-Mar-17 16:47:08

waves in a very British way from Finland

Not sure what a British wave is but nevermind.

ElspethFlashman Sun 05-Mar-17 16:50:26

Nope, Irish here.

It's largely UK though, which is fine by me. I just don't have anything to contribute to threads about government/benefits stuff.

It reminds me of Reddits, where it's always assumed that everyone is a) American B) white and c) male. They're not!

Klaphat Sun 05-Mar-17 16:57:52

It reminds me of Reddits, where it's always assumed that everyone is a) American B) white and c) male.

Not just Reddit but 90% of the internet IME.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Sun 05-Mar-17 17:14:25

Yes, YABU!

Especially over "the same NHS", as there isn't a single NHS service - there are four separate ones. So when you talk about benefitting from the same NHS, that will mean NHS England if you are in England, NHS Scotland if you are in Scotland, etc.

I'd always thought it was about 50% US posters,here, given all the Americanisms in the posts. Like the Irish poster above, I just avoid posts that are politically alien to me.

ViveLesVacances Sun 05-Mar-17 17:23:35

I live in France and have for about 15 years now!

violetbunny Sun 05-Mar-17 18:04:27

Used to live in the UK, but am now Down Under smile

JoandMax Sun 05-Mar-17 18:29:43

Used to live in UK but now Middle East for last 4 years

BackforGood Sun 05-Mar-17 18:36:00

Same as sockqueen said - if the OP asks a question about something like schooling, then I assume UK unless they say otherwise, as large % are from UK, but I am aware there are a considerable % of overseas MNers too.

highinthesky Mon 06-Mar-17 01:09:26

Your right, it's the local context that's important when it comes to services / amenities.

But also my question stems in part from access to MN pages being so unreliable during U.K. peak traffic times which is soooo frustrating! After midnight seems fine though (I'm often up through the night so may as well do something useful!).

Totallypearshaped Mon 06-Mar-17 01:14:37

I find it interesting that no one assumes that a poster is black, Asian or mixed race either.

It seems little Britain is alive and well

Neither white, Christian or in the uk here. <am a mother>

wealdenmonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 01:15:27

YABU.

On the Brexit/Trump threads at any rate, many of the most prolific posters are based in Russia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now