Talk

Advanced search

To think if you want to talk to someone you're shopping with

(18 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Sun 05-Mar-17 12:31:24

You should ensure you're within speaking distance rather than shout your conversation across a busy store.

3 women in a large store this morning, at least 20 ft away from each other, continued their conversation despite the fact they all had to shout shock

Example included:

"They're over here, what size are you?"
"A 14, have they got them in black?"
"Like fuck you're a 14! Nar, only in white or cream"
" Don't want them then, do they have a 16 in black?" And so on

At no point did either of them take a step towards each other (and before you ask, neither seemed to have any mobility problems as they'd been walking bellowing around the shop quite happily)

What is it that makes some people be totally oblivious to (or just not care) the effect their behaviour has on those around them?

TheFullMinty Sun 05-Mar-17 13:31:34

Meh. Why do you care? Keep walking and leave them be.

Sparklingbrook Sun 05-Mar-17 13:35:16

Sounds quite entertaining. grin It wouldn't bother me.

ConfusedDotty Sun 05-Mar-17 13:39:21

I find it amusing. Conversation heard in sainsburys last week.

Mother - Dawn the coke's on offer
Dawn - Is it Diet Coke?
Mother - No, but neither is all that chocolate you just put in your trolley.

It was funny, I love supermarket eavesdropping.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 05-Mar-17 13:42:39

Lol at that overheard conversation @ConfusedDotty

pipsqueak25 Sun 05-Mar-17 14:43:56

get your point wine it's especially great when you get the most' basic' conversation, some can be quite amusing though

TheNewSchmoo Sun 05-Mar-17 14:50:58

I'm wondering what effect their behaviour had on you?

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Mar-17 14:53:14

How did it affect you? confused

Ellisandra Sun 05-Mar-17 14:56:05

I'd have smiled at a friendship honest and open enough to cope with the correction on size grin

CaraAspen Sun 05-Mar-17 14:57:19

Love the chocolate comment.smile

AwaywiththePixies27 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:00:39

Confused 😂

happypoobum Sun 05-Mar-17 15:12:09

I don't understand - why was this upsetting or annoying? It's a shop, not a library/theatre/cinema confused

JuneJuly Sun 05-Mar-17 15:31:19

If I were on my own I might have sniggered at what was said, eye rolled & carried on BUT if I had my dc with me I would not be happy if language like that was being shouted across the store. Why can't people speak in public without swearing anymore?

lavenderandrose Sun 05-Mar-17 15:32:48

It's most annoying on buses or trains (or worse, planes.) I hate it when I'm forced to listen to a conversation I have no interest in. Two women were behind me all the way to Athens last year. It was like flying to Athens with a school play.

ExitStage Sun 05-Mar-17 15:33:24

Totally agree June.

Christmasnoooooooooooo Sun 05-Mar-17 15:46:08

Oh no I love a laugh and so do the people working there . There was a guy stocking the shelves in home bargain today had a biggest smile on his face listening to all the rubbish people talk.

DancingHouse Sun 05-Mar-17 15:50:09

Join in their conversation.

"The black doesn't suit you luv, you should try that mustard patchwork thing over in the per unable section"

IonaNE Sun 05-Mar-17 16:07:32

It's a public place. This is not worse than people singing along loudly and totally unselfconsciously to the music in shops, while browsing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now