Talk

Advanced search

AIBU.. Softplay?

(17 Posts)
Topaz0117 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:33:41

DD is 7 months and has started crawling. WIBU to start taking her to soft play now? The ones that have an under 3s section?

DP thinks it's a waste of time and money as DD is too young?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 05-Mar-17 10:35:58

Most places are free or reduced price for under 1's so I don't think it's a waste of money. Take her! She will enjoy it and get her used to it when she is older.

bagpackbagpack Sun 05-Mar-17 10:36:15

I took DS to soft play, toddler groups (for toddlers not babies) from the minute I felt well enough to leave the house! (About 2 weeks old)

It's was more for me than DS, I needed to get out and interact.

Although I typically despise soft play these days...

GeillisTheWitch Sun 05-Mar-17 10:37:39

Only go on a weekday when the older children will mostly be in school or preschool, never go in the school holidays. Give it a try and see how DD likes it, some soft play places let under 1s in free, see if any of your local ones do this then you've nothing to lose.

Nocabbageinmyeye Sun 05-Mar-17 10:37:46

Softplay is hell, its filthy and full of wild wired children who seem to have blinkers on to those around them, you will be going there for years to come, do yourself a favour and enjoy not having to go for a while yet. I am with you dh on this, although at 7 months its probably free anyway, our local ones are

Astro55 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:39:49

Our local one was quiet in the mornings - and DS was off! We were lucky the manager loved running round after him so I could carry twin and climb with 2 year old - they had a blast

IamFriedSpam Sun 05-Mar-17 10:40:05

It's not very expensive for under 1's and they usually enjoy the ball pit. You have to be careful though as the older ones can be very rambunctious and often jump into the ballot without looking etc. but as long as you stay with her it'll be fine.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Sun 05-Mar-17 10:41:26

I'd wait as the older children bomb round the place. I hate soft play. So loud and when you have a little child you have to go round with them. I'd wait until they were 2. We're just stopping soft play and doing trampoline places as my dcs are 12 and 9. So much better.

Vanillaradio Sun 05-Mar-17 15:33:56

I didn't take ds very often at that age (still don't if I can help it and he's 3) but if you go term time, week days and one with a good area for little ones, particularly containing a ball pit then she will probably love it. Like most things it's a case of try it out and see how it goes! Don't expect to be sitting back with a coffee for quite a while yet though!

woodwaj Sun 05-Mar-17 15:35:39

During school time on mat leave its perfect. And usually cheap. Ours has a sensory room for the babies

Topaz0117 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:51:21

Thanks everyone, I think I'll give it a try one week day morning!

Trifleorbust Sun 05-Mar-17 15:55:03

My idea of hell. I wouldn't take such a small baby because I can set up a safer version with a couple of playmates at home grin

Squidgling Sun 05-Mar-17 15:59:00

I took DD when she was about 9 months old and I hated it. The baby bit was tiny and invaded by older children anyway (even in school time you will still get 4 year old who haven't started school yet and they seem very big when you still have a non walking baby!)

She's 2 now and I still hardly take her as it is like hell in there but if yours is nice go for it!

RyanStartedTheFire Sun 05-Mar-17 16:37:26

At 7 months old there really is no point.

IamFriedSpam Sun 05-Mar-17 16:45:40

Might be better to go to a playgroup though - one of mine had a mini ball pit for the toddlers.

Rainydayspending Sun 05-Mar-17 16:46:55

Save yourself from those noisy sweaty germ infested hell holes (not even taking into account the usual selection of hyped up feral children and stressed shouty/ racist parents). Don't go. Find a nice playgroup, shop around go regularly and she'll get more stimulation and exercise with other children and parents in a gently structured environment .

SoMuchPain Sun 05-Mar-17 16:49:06

It's up to you. I personally wouldn't at 7 months unless I knew it was super clean! I took my eldest at 7 months she ended up with a horrid stomach bug (as did 2 of the other babies that came with us) probably from the ball pit or floor of the soft play. Anyway mine then ended up with lactose intolerance (temporary) I would wait until baby is at least toddling. No point before then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now