Talk

Advanced search

Poxy bloody adverts

(14 Posts)
Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 05-Mar-17 06:54:09

So who on Mumsnet is going to buy a half million pound speedboat? Come on admit it. You wouldn't mind one... but at half a million pounds it is never going in your shopping basket

That is the price of the Riva boat being shown on the banner advert at the top of the page in a movie that takes soooooooo much bandwidth that the site is no longer usable.

BTW, they really are lovely boats. Hand built and finished with some 70 layers of varnish. Two Fararri engines in the back. Just the thing to arrive at the Danelli Hotel in Venice or popping down to the GP at Monaco. But being advertised on Mumsnet?

araiwa Sun 05-Mar-17 06:59:03

yabu not to have adblock

Degasinacar Sun 05-Mar-17 06:59:41

I have just worked it out. If I pay every penny my household brings in towards this I can own it in a mere 27 and a quarter years! Hopefully DD does not need anything for that time!

However, given threads I have seen on mumsnet before and the amount of people on here in London properties that they have owned a long time, I bet there is a market for that boat on here.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 05-Mar-17 07:12:13

Old iPad so won't load latest adblocks..
Tried earlier adblock but it didn't do anything

MetalMidget Sun 05-Mar-17 07:30:08

There's Adblock, which is a plug in app that stops ads in Chrome and Safari, but there's also Adblock browser, which is a browser that automatically blocks ads - are they both unavailable on your iPad (I've got the plug in on my iPad Air)?

Alternatively, get a Raspberry Pi and set it up to block ads. learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-as-an-ad-blocking-access-point/overview

I'm actually OK with ads in principle, I only resort to adblock in on sites that either a) have offensively obtrusive adverts that cover the entire screen, video ads or ones that play audio, or b) frequently have rogue ads provided by agencies that hijack the browser, redirect, create pop-ups, fake "You have won/you have a virus" things, etc.

Collaborate Sun 05-Mar-17 08:05:48

Those advocating Adblock are BU. It will kill the free internet.

haveacupoftea Sun 05-Mar-17 09:33:21

Does it not depend on what you've been looking at online? I just gets adverts for nappies and washing machines.

AuntieStella Sun 05-Mar-17 09:44:46

I agree, and resisted using an adblocker.

Until a day or so ago, after a week of MN simply not working for Apple users.

specialsubject Sun 05-Mar-17 10:03:16

I doubt many of us watch TV ads now with recorder boxes, commercial TV is still going.

Sites that can't code encourage ad blockers or we all go elsewhere. Their problem.

SealSong Sun 05-Mar-17 10:09:12

If this site wasn't so frequently crippled by problems caused by the adverts, fewer people would use Adblock. More people have started using it recently because of all the glitches.
MNHQ should sort out its technical issues constant caused by the advertising scripts.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 06-Mar-17 07:43:40

Perhaps mnhq are waking up to the smell of coffee.
The main site was almost working last night.

Now about that Riva

VikingVolva Mon 06-Mar-17 07:48:37

For the Riva, you just need to swop to Aldi and have a good rummage round the back of the sofa....

ssd Mon 06-Mar-17 07:57:48

...yes..and get 5 family meals for a week out a chicken.....

Foslady Mon 06-Mar-17 08:22:54

Thank God it wasn't just me with mumsnet playing up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now