Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to help me make something these kids can bloody eat?

(20 Posts)
JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 05-Mar-17 03:14:16

I know most of you are asleep so I might be asking this fruitlessly. I'm in Oz. It's Sunday afternoon here and tomorrow DD's birthday....I have to take in some treats for her to share with the class...that's what you do here.

Problem being is that a small number of her class is vegan/gluten free. So no nice basic tray bakes alone...I need to add something nice for the kids who can't eat the tray bake.

And here's the issue. I live in a one horse town and can't get to a bigger shop...all I have is honey, peanut butter, shredded coconut, carrots, mixed unsalted nuts, sugar, cocoa powder and apples.

What can I make! I had the idea of making an oat slice before I realised oats have bloody gluten in them!

peripateticparents Sun 05-Mar-17 03:22:42

Rocky road? Depends what's in the marshmallows at your corner store but could work.

LoupGarou Sun 05-Mar-17 03:24:27

Ahhh what a shame, I have a easy and good gluten free vegan cookie recipe but it needs gf flour.

Could you grate the apple, then caramelize it in the sugar, add a bit of honey and peanut butter and some of the nuts (chop them finely). Then add cocoa powder and coconut to stiffen the mixture, then shape into cookie type disks and bake lightly? Experiment with different baking time lengths? That's what I'd do I think.

peripateticparents Sun 05-Mar-17 03:27:18

Rice Krispy squares? Cornflake nests with mini eggs? Nut balls with honey, coconut, nut butter, cocoa?

Good luck

cheeseandcrackers Sun 05-Mar-17 03:36:51

Make nutty Florentine style biscuits. I had a fab recipe for gluten free Brazil nut biscuits like this that were basically sliced nuts in a butter & sugar caramel spooned onto a baking sheet & flattened into small discs and baked. Delicious.

Chocolatedreamsandtea Sun 05-Mar-17 03:38:28

Apple cake

Chocolatedreamsandtea Sun 05-Mar-17 03:39:32

www.nigella.com/recipes/apple-and-almond-cake

Chocolatedreamsandtea Sun 05-Mar-17 03:42:55

Can you get hold of condensed milk? If so coconut ice???
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2799/coconut-ice-squares%3Famp

MmmFacon Sun 05-Mar-17 03:46:47

Don't use the honey, the vegan kids won't want to eat that. YY to the florentines!

justilou Sun 05-Mar-17 03:46:54

Chocolate crackles are good.
Bring up some water iceblocks after school.

justilou Sun 05-Mar-17 03:47:29

Btw - did people not read the bit about it allergies?

GwendolynMary Sun 05-Mar-17 03:48:53

If it's anything like our school in Aus, you would be best avoiding anything with nuts or eggs. People who are allergic and intolerant don't tend to eat anything brought from a kitchen they don't know, due to the risk of cross contamination. So I wouldn't be too stressed about gluten free, as those kids probably have their own safe treats kept with the teacher. The oat slice would be ok if you left out the peanut butter and nuts, I think.

SlightlyTired Sun 05-Mar-17 03:51:54

If you can possibly lay your hands on some dates, then these? wholefoodsimply.com/carrot-cake-bliss-balls/ Not sure what the school would say about the peanut butter though?

CaptainWarbeck Sun 05-Mar-17 03:54:31

'Snickers' bliss balls? Do you have any maple syrup you could use instead of the honey for the vegan kids? If not, coconut, nuts, peanut butter, cocoa, sugar, blitz to a rollable consistency, shape into balls, roll in the coconut or cocoa.

I'll see if I can find a link for a more detailed recipe

CaptainWarbeck Sun 05-Mar-17 03:56:26

Xpost, great minds slightly grin

https://wholefoodsimply.com/category/all/sweet-snacks/bliss-balls/

SparklyUnicornPoo Sun 05-Mar-17 04:19:24

honey isn't vegan.

Peanut butter apples? cut an apple in half, cut the core out, cover the cut side in peanut butter, sprinkle on some coconut and nuts, cocoa powder, whatever you want to decorate it, i usually add raisins too but it'll work without if you haven't got any. (I also sometimes add marshmallows and chocolate drops but those aren't vegan)

InTheDessert Sun 05-Mar-17 04:47:23

Could you walk-up to school at the appropriate time with some frozen ice lollies (the frozen fruit juice type). I think it's going to be hot with you, but in an cool bag (Eski???) They should be OK for an hour or so.
What have other parents done?

KoalaDownUnder Sun 05-Mar-17 04:58:53

Are honey crackles gluten free? Somewhere open must sell cornflakes (although prob at $7 a box)

SparklyUnicornPoo Sun 05-Mar-17 05:30:13

Koala You can get gluten free cornflakes but not all brands are because they contain malt flavouring. Plus they wouldn't be vegan (because of honey, and butter)

peripateticparents Sun 05-Mar-17 06:52:01

((Shakes head)) sorry... wasn't thinking about the honey/vegan ... in our house (when we had a store cupboard) it used to be dates for sweetness; I was trying to think what was in the cupboard to replace. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now