Talk

Advanced search

People in the middle of the road

(19 Posts)
Thoughtfulduck Sat 04-Mar-17 23:18:58

Tonight I was driving along an unlit country road when two people with dogs came into view. One of the dogs was loose and the other was stood with its owner by the side of the car in the middle of the road.

I was doing between 35-40 and slowed as soon as I saw them and gave them plenty of room. They shouted abuse at me complimented by a few choice hand gestures!

Am I being unreasonable to think that if they choose to stand in the road when it's dark, weaeinh dark clothing with no torches etc then they run the risk of people not seeing them?!

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-Mar-17 23:20:38

It's terrifying isn't it? Loads of country lanes around here and I am always on the lookout for invisible pedestrians in the dark.

What did they think you should have done?

khajiit13 Sat 04-Mar-17 23:24:36

Yanbu at all. Responsible dog owners I know would be nowhere near the situation you've described and go out in the dark covered in reflective gear. And not on roads obviously

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-Mar-17 23:25:19

There's a few dogs around here that have flashing collars. Great idea.

Thoughtfulduck Sat 04-Mar-17 23:31:53

Their main concerns were that I was going too fast and I could've killed one of the dogs!

If I'd have known that they were in the road and continued at my original speed then yes it would've been too fast! I slowed as soon as I saw them which admittedly which admittedly was a bit late! I can't drive around at 20 everywhe just in case there are invisible pedestrians.

And if they don't want their dogs to be at risk don't have them off the lead on a road in the dark! They seemed to be unloading the dogs from a car presumably heading into the house they were near, so maybe that's why they had no high vis etc.

It just shook me up a bit to be shouted at.

5OBalesofHay Sat 04-Mar-17 23:36:27

You need to be able to stop in the distance you can see. As long as you could you weren't too fast

cherryrednose Sat 04-Mar-17 23:37:31

35 - 40 mph is too fast on an unlit country road

Thoughtfulduck Sat 04-Mar-17 23:41:42

Why do you say that cherry? I did stop, just not as gradually as I would have liked!

ADishBestEatenCold Sun 05-Mar-17 00:58:50

"35 - 40 mph is too fast on an unlit country road"

Really? So you think that drivers who perhaps commute a distance home, along an unlit rural 'A' road (speed limit 60 mph) should do so at 30 miles per hour? Or less?

OP said nothing to suggest that it was a particularly narrow, winding or hazerdous road, did she? Simply that it was unlit and in the country. Rural roads of all classes tend not to have streetlights.

It sounds like OP was sufficiently alert to unexpected hazards and was driving at a speed which allowed her time to brake and avoid them.

JustAnotherPoster00 Sun 05-Mar-17 01:05:06

35 - 40 mph is too fast on an unlit country road

Come to north wales and youll find all our roads are unlit unless you're driving through a built up area

r0tringLover Sun 05-Mar-17 03:35:00

35 - 40 could be absolutely fine on many unlit country roads. 60 can be fine.

The OP could safely stop. She didn't skid off the road or emergency stop, clipping the dog.

I'd have reversed and asked them what the issue was, then explained why they were idiots.

graciestocksfield Sun 05-Mar-17 03:47:52

I think I'd have stopped to tell them to wear hi vis, use a torch and put their dog on a lead, as next time someone might be doing 50 down there and not see them or stop. Because you were driving carefully, OP, you were able to slow down and they were taking a stupid risk.

IamFriedSpam Sun 05-Mar-17 07:54:14

It's impossible to say whether that is too fast. Lots of country roads where I live. Some of them are straight and wide (although unlit) and 35-40 would be fine. Some are ridiculously bendy, overgrown and don't have space for two cars to pass and although people do drive at those speeds it's incredibly dangerous (and there are often accidents). If OP stopped in time sounds like it wasn't too fast.

WateryTart Sun 05-Mar-17 08:13:27

YWNBU. Dogs should be on leads when on the road. Stupid people.

llangennith Sun 05-Mar-17 08:29:20

Country roads round here are narrow and twisty so most drivers don't go over 25 to 30 mph, for their own safety or that of any horse rider or pedestrian. Yes the dog should of course have been on a lead but you need to rethink your approach to driving on country roads and slow down.

IdaDown Sun 05-Mar-17 08:32:44

I always carry a torch and the dog wears a light. It's the only safe way around here.

Pseudonym99 Sun 05-Mar-17 08:33:27

60mph limit does not mean it is safe to drive at 60mph. If you were driving at 35-40mph, and a car in the opposite direction was driving at 35-40mph, so a closing speed of 70-80mph,would you both have been able to stop in time before you crashed?

Having said that, they were stupid for not having their dog on a lead and wearing dark clothing.

Sundance01 Sun 05-Mar-17 08:34:11

The correct speed to be driving is the one where when you spot a hazard you can stop in time. Therefore what is appropriate in daylight may not be in the dark or fog.

You did stop in time therefore were at an appropriate speed - but it probably terrified them - whether they were in the wrong or not - and people who are scared often react aggressively.

Do not give it another thought it was probably just a gut reaction

Bubble2bubble Sun 05-Mar-17 11:30:01

Tbh if I came on a dog loose on a country road I would probably stop until the owner caught it. Not saying the people are not idiots, but I know that cars going past at anything more crawling speed can feel quite scary on a narrow road -- and as for the wankers who see you with dogs and toddlers and carry on at 60 don't fucking start me--

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now