Talk

Advanced search

WIBU To Win Pass The Parcel at DS's Birthday Party?

(51 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Sat 04-Mar-17 21:03:35

I was in charge of the music. I told them I would. The parcel went round with all the children getting a little gift with every layer removed. It got smaller and smaller. They all had their gifts and only DS and I were left. I stopped the music. DS removed his layer of paper to find the same gift as the others. The looks on their faces!shock

Anyway, I won!grin It was a plushie and a referee whistle (thanks DP).hmm

So was I unreasonable to win? I
don't think I was. My only regret was not recording their reactions.

DesignedForLife Sat 04-Mar-17 21:06:46

You deliberately won? YABU. How odd.

lalaloopyhead Sat 04-Mar-17 21:09:40

Is this a joke thread about the Mum winning at bowling/paintball/whateveritwas party? If not I think you may be the sort of thing that might seem a good idea after a couple of gins...

EdmundCleverClogs Sat 04-Mar-17 21:10:27

What? Why? Am I missing something here? Seems awfully juvenile behaviour on your part.

peukpokicuzo Sat 04-Mar-17 21:10:32

Yabu.
The winner should be the least popular/outgoing/confident kid there, excluding the birthday child, their best friend, and the child of their mum's or dad's best friend (if there).

Your amusing little stunt was to say "ha ha no prize for any of you" to a bunch of kids.

Not cool.

Bleurghghghgh Sat 04-Mar-17 21:14:14

Err, yes, YWBU...

ALemonyPea Sat 04-Mar-17 21:16:22

How could you control the music and pass the parcel? Pretty immature of you really to even take part, it's a child's party game.

HelenaGWells Sat 04-Mar-17 21:25:34

I imagine your dp planned it so that every kid had a little prize then one random kid wins. Why on earth are you as an adult joining in with the kids games? If this is true you are an idiot.

FiveMinutesAlone Sat 04-Mar-17 21:29:26

Assuming this is for real, yes, YWBU.

A child should have won. It's a game for children.

TheNewSchmoo Sat 04-Mar-17 21:30:28

How spiteful. If true.

JigglyTuff Sat 04-Mar-17 21:32:22

Why were you even playing? confused

WayfaringStranger Sat 04-Mar-17 21:42:47

Sure...

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 04-Mar-17 21:50:33

I would never win at bowling/paintballing. I had suggested a bowling party so I could leave them all to it and spend the party reading the paper, but no, he wanted one in the house.hmm

All the kids got prizes. They're a pretty egalitarian group, each one weird and brilliant in their own way. And they've been tight for a long time. It's been more or less the same kids for 4 or 5 years.

My house is really small. I could play and control the music and play because my seat was next to the radio (it was the one part of tge party where I got to sit down).

Immature? Totally!grin But they all knew it was coming. Each had asked me who was going to win as we did decoupage in the kitchen. I told them I was and was told no, the birthday boy wins.

DP definitely set it up so that DS would win. No way would he risk giving a ref's whistle to a random kid. If he did I would probably have to kill him.

StandardNameHere Sat 04-Mar-17 21:53:15

Yes, you won 😏 Sleep well tonight knowing you 'won'

Sunnysky2016 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:58:00

Wtf?

elQuintoConyo Sat 04-Mar-17 22:00:45

Eh? What a shitty thing to do.

Did you also kick chairs out from under kids' arses in musical chairs? Or hold a bucket under the piñata!

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 04-Mar-17 22:06:00

Peuk, do you really fix it so your friend's child wins prizes at your DC's party?shock

It wasn't shitty at all, there's nothing a bunch of 10yos love better than taking the moral high ground over a cheating adult.grin

peukpokicuzo Sat 04-Mar-17 22:17:55

No re-read what I said. My best friend's child is automatically excluded from winning because if they won it would be seen as a fix.

All games of pass the parcel are fixed. You just need to have principles to ensure that the fix doesn't favour those who don't need the boost.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 04-Mar-17 22:34:15

Obviously you have different rules as all the party goers here were adamant that the birthday child wins and that is what has happened at other parties DS has been to, where the prize is one of the main presents.

Anyway, I definitely needed a boost. Thankfully DS's friends took my cheating in the manner in which it was intended and had loads of fun with it.

HarryPottersMagicWand Sat 04-Mar-17 22:37:27

Why on earth was an adult joining in with a kids pass the parcel? That's one of the oddest things I've read on here. And do 10 year olds really play pass the parcel? I would have thought it was a bit young for them.

Oh and birthday child shouldn't win. They get loads of presents. A guest should win, at random.

Applebite Sat 04-Mar-17 22:37:37

^ but if this is true, why are you asking about it on here? confused ^

Applebite Sat 04-Mar-17 22:38:12

* ie that the kids thought it was great and had loads of fun with it

WhisperedLoudest Sat 04-Mar-17 22:41:57

I guess this is a spoof of the other thread.

Only acceptable winner of pass the parcel is the shy kid that looks a little left out.

Years ago my DD was invited to a 3rd birthday where it became apparent the parents had intended the birthday boy to win pass the parcel. It contained a fairly decent present and they could barely disguise their horror when it was one by another attendee.

It was really awkward and uncomfortable

peukpokicuzo Sat 04-Mar-17 22:42:45

What on earth would be the point of ever playing pass the parcel if the birthday child always wins? What a boring and pointless activity for a party!

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 04-Mar-17 22:52:59

I don't know about the other thread.
There were no shy, left out kids as pretty much the same group have been attending eachother's parties since they were 6.

Yes, 10yos play pass the parcel. They were playing it today at my house.hmm They also did crafts, cupcake decorating, wore fake moustaches and each did a "turn". I was unaware that that there was an upper age limit for such party games and obviously so were they.

Oops, I forgot to put lighthearted in the title Apple.

Peuk, you may think that, DS's guests would disagree.hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now