Talk

Advanced search

To be really really annoyed with John Lewis

(24 Posts)
Ferrisday Sat 04-Mar-17 20:39:40

Partnership card
Made a payment from my online banking on 2nd Jan.

I tried to check my balance and it didn't add up, so called them
Randomly last week, they reversed this payment, debited my account.
No phone call, no attempt to contact me.
I called them back today to tell them it's defintely my payment and they can't help, banking team not in on a Sat.
So I have to call them on Monday for a 3rd time and try and get to the bottom of this.
No possibility of them calling me back.
What the hell is going on?

TheHodgeoftheHedge Sat 04-Mar-17 20:41:52

No idea but my dad has been rowing with them over the last 4 months due to them
Screwing up payments to his card as well.

Ferrisday Sat 04-Mar-17 21:17:43

Oh that doesn't sound promising!
I don't have the patience for this!

Ferrisday Mon 06-Mar-17 14:23:52

You don't know the details do you?
Was it anything to do with a duplicate payment?

Ferrisday Mon 06-Mar-17 15:20:03

So JL tell me the bank recalled the payment and I have to get it back from them.

I called the bank, they say they didn't recall the payment, it's perfectly fine and how can they trace a payment coming back to them that they didn't return and have no record of.

RJnomore1 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:22:50

Oh did their card get moved to a new provider? This sounds similar to the problems dh has had several times with his Debenhams card

Ferrisday Mon 06-Mar-17 15:25:48

I don't think so.
They just seem to have randomly reversed a payment I made(in the usual way) and sent it back

RJnomore1 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:33:15

I've googled and it's newday who do Debenhams and HSBC who do John Lewis apparently but it's the exact same thing, payments reversed, happened several times too.

user1488812680 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:51:39

test

stephenisjustcoming Mon 06-Mar-17 15:55:13

I had problems with John Lewis at the end of last year - they changed the way their account details were set up, so my internet banking payments weren't going through. It meant I went into arrears because I 'hadn't made payments' for a couple of months, resulting in interest charges and eventually an arsey letter about defaulting on my credit card. I phoned customer services and it seems I wasn't the first customer to have had this problem. Not very John Lewis-y.

tiokiko Mon 06-Mar-17 16:07:30

I had the same problem too, two separate monthly payments failed to go through because of their new systems. They promised they would refund interest and penalty charges and were going to write to me to confirm but I've heard nothing... this thread has been a good reminder that I need to follow up!

Ferrisday Mon 06-Mar-17 16:18:38

Ah- that's a pattern

notenoughtogoround Mon 06-Mar-17 16:24:15

This has happened to me too, my direct debit for the minimum amount went out of my bank account, but was then sent back to my bank by JL, so I incurred late payment charges. I phoned them and the refunded the charges and said they would investigate and let me know. They never did, and their online banking is pretty rubbish IMO. Not very impressive - though I do like getting my vouchers every so often!

wideboy26 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:11:12

I'm very disturbed by this thread. I'm a big JL fan and buy a lot of stuff from them, believing that whatever JL do, it's good. I don't have a Partnership card, but out of loyalty to the brand I have considered it in the past. I'm not so sure now; I think the OP's experience is an example of what can happen when one company fronts an operation that is actually carried out by another.

Ferrisday Mon 06-Mar-17 18:20:52

I've had this card for at least 10 years, no problems.
Recently I put everything on it and I managed to get £300 vouchers which I've just put towards a new couch.
I love JL
And now I absolutely hate them because of this.
Looks like I'm going to have to chase them daily.
My call this morning lasted half an hour.
I hate confrontation, it makes me really shaky inside, but I gave them hell this morning and Sat, and will continue.

Ferrisday Tue 07-Mar-17 10:56:14

Another half hour conversation in progress

Ferrisday Tue 07-Mar-17 12:24:49

Passed to another dept by a supervisor

Still unresolved

Astoria7974 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:13:35

How do you pay your bill - by direct debit? If so JL might need to set up a new agreement or your card might be locked. Try calling HSBC credit cards and ask them for a referral to someone at JL cards. Can sometimes get a supervisor faster that way.

Ferrisday Tue 07-Mar-17 13:17:57

It's a payment made through my internet banking.
I've made loads of payments this way.
There's a direct debit set up for the minimum.

fivepies Tue 07-Mar-17 13:18:11

I had problems with my JL credit card and ended up cancelling it. There were issues with payments but the final straw was when my card was used fraudulently. JL were really bad at dealing with it and I lost all faith in them.

Astoria7974 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:27:01

Ok so JL's advice in the 1st instance was correct. Your bank has a duty of care to investigate all problems and disputes with internet payments - they are not allowed to fob you off. My guess is your bank might not have put the correct account details in their payment profile for JL cards (presuming you didn't make an error typing the card number). It's a lot easier just to pay over the phone with them using your debit card number

Ferrisday Tue 07-Mar-17 13:30:38

No
I have payment details set up and use the same method, so not a new manual payment iyswim
The bank can't investigate, they have nothing to look for. Except through their entire system to look for a returned payment

Ferrisday Tue 07-Mar-17 13:32:09

And it was credited to my account in Jan and somehow reversed 1st March

Astoria7974 Tue 07-Mar-17 19:08:56

Your bank would initiate a dispute process and investigate with JL for you. It's prob outing me but I used to manage an internet banking dispute resolution team for a bank - they will get a response from JL within days. But you need to be referred to the correct team first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now