We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIB selfish to change career

(3 Posts)
Indigo89 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:26:37

I'm a teacher and have been offered a job, working for a friend of a friend, in a totally different creative profession which I've always had an interest in. It would free up my evenings and weekends (I currently mark and plan every week night and 1 day on a weekend) but it's a big pay cut. Approx 8k less.

I feel like jumping at this one-time opportunity to claw back any kind of personal life and time with family. My only reservation is coping on less income. We would still be able to pay the mortgage and household bills but wouldn't be able to afford the treats and extras we've become accustomed to.

Has anyone else taken a pay cut for the sake of family time together? Do you regret it? How did you find it financially?

SummerSazz Sat 04-Mar-17 17:27:57

Could you top it up with tutoring? I know this will eat a bit into eve and weekends but good money?

SallyGinnamon Sat 04-Mar-17 17:32:26

Massive pay cut to be a SAHM (£70k in my last year) but never regretted it. Fourteen years later I've started a new career earning less than £20k but I leave work at work and my life is my own.

I did teacher training but didn't do my final placement as I couldn't face it. I've just been to Boots and seen a fantastic woman that was Head of KS1 at my first placement. She is now working in Boots and apparently is much happier.

Having no money is lousy, but you don't need lots to be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now