Talk

Advanced search

Racist FB posts from parent at school

(21 Posts)
cavatron Sat 04-Mar-17 13:33:15

More of a WWYD really. A parent of a child in my DS' class is posting incredibly racist and antagonistic posts on Facebook several times a day. I've deleted her due to it but I can't help but feel I should do something about it. WWYD?!

NavyandWhite Sat 04-Mar-17 13:36:01

I would have been very tempted to comment on the post tbh and ask what was she thinking?

LouKout Sat 04-Mar-17 13:37:17

Id just unfriend her.

If you say anything she wont have some big epiphany she'll just be hostile to you

yorkshapudding Sat 04-Mar-17 13:41:00

You have done something about it, you've deleted her. Unless she belongs to a profession where her social media use would be considered grounds for misconduct or she's breaching the rules of the website/app I'm not sure what else you could do.

Challenging her directly about her views is an option I suppose but it depends whether you are comfortable with that level of confrontation. It's also unlikely to change her opinions.

Trifleorbust Sat 04-Mar-17 13:41:06

Not sure you can do anything.

Freddorika Sat 04-Mar-17 13:42:22

What are you thinking of doing? She's entitled to her views, as abhorrent as they may be. Just unfollow her.

Onawheel Sat 04-Mar-17 13:44:12

Well they're entitled to their view I guess. However if it comes to school, via the child you have a duty to report to head teacher.

The school have a duty to handle it if they think one of their children is bringing those views to school.

Otherwise you can report to facebook I guess...

Grilledaubergines Sat 04-Mar-17 13:44:16

Nothing you can do. Apart from what you've already done.

angeldelightedme Sat 04-Mar-17 13:46:44

I dunno.A 'friend' of mine who is a police constable posts incredibly racist stuff

dontbesillyhenry Sat 04-Mar-17 13:55:57

Does he not like his job then angel?

HarmlessChap Sat 04-Mar-17 14:15:27

I used to try to engage them but nothing you say alters their bigotry. The general response is to attack and name call as IME they tend to lack enough intelligence to form any kind of coherent argument to support their views.

Really there's no point trying, you're better of simply unfriending them and forgetting about them.

RortyCrankle Sat 04-Mar-17 14:35:49

You can't fight stupidity and ignorance. Blocking and unfriending is the best you can do.

booellesmum Sat 04-Mar-17 14:38:31

You can report posts to Facebook so they can investigate and potentially ban the user.

barinatxe Sat 04-Mar-17 14:48:53

You can fight stupidity and ignorance. People can be persuaded to change their minds if you can present them with convincing arguments as to why they should.

What you can't expect is that you will convince them just by telling them that they are wrong. They need to come to realise for themselves that they are wrong, through overwhelming evidence.

This person is posting racist messages. To get them to change their opinions, you need to show them why, in practical, truthful and realistic terms, they are wrong in their beliefs. Ideals and theoretical arguments like "racism is wrong" and "all people should be equal" will not on their own convince someone who doesn't agree with them.

Most people adopt a default position that racism is bad and all people are equal. Others adopt the position that one race is superior to others. Considering the frequently ludicrous and usually offensive evidence that is usually offered to support the latter view, is it not possible for you to offer more convincing and understandable views to support the former?

Above all, ignoring these people in the hope that they will just go away will not solve it at all. They need to be shown why they are wrong, and for this they must be engaged with.

Thinkingblonde Sat 04-Mar-17 15:12:46

I reported a post last night for inciting racial hatred, it was a hoax warning of a Muslim woman knocking on door asking for help, when the door is answered five men, armed with knives, break in and rob the place. It was supposed to have happened at 9.30pm, there's a photo of a woman 'fleeing from the scene carrying a weapon '
The woman is walking across a car park, in broad daylight, carrying a folder or a sheet of paper. I called it a load of bollocks, at that time of night its pitch dark. The comments were disgusting.
You could report the posts to Facebook...for all of the good it will do...which in my experience is zilch.
I

ErinMummy Sat 04-Mar-17 21:33:35

Question - are you concerned about the influence that parent may have on their child and then what that child might say to your DS?

Birdsbeesandtrees Sat 04-Mar-17 21:35:18

Depending on their job - If I knew their work details I would be tempted to send a screenshot to their boss/ HR.

I certainly would if they worked in the police force.

chocolateworshipper Sat 04-Mar-17 21:39:13

You could report the posts to FB, and you may also want to consider reporting to the school (can be anonymous) as it could be a safeguarding issue for the child being brought up in that environment.

isadoradancing123 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:42:59

I hardly think it could be a safeguarding issue.. there are many children living in intolerable conditions that require safeguarding, this does not even make it on to the list

Sweets101 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:45:01

What sort of thing are they posting?

stubbornstains Sat 04-Mar-17 21:50:16

To be honest? I'd slag her off behind her back to all the other parents. Most of them probably abhor racism, and her name will soon be mud.

Yes, it's underhand, but what else does someone like that deserve?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now