Talk

Advanced search

To want my money back even though weve used the product?

(25 Posts)
NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 11:12:53

Boyght dd some Joules snow boots from their ebay outlet (new). Theyve split at the seam up the front on both boots.

Id happily take a replacement if they can assure me this isnt a fault with the product, but really id rather just get a refund as Im pretty sure itll happen again.

Ive contacted them and am awaiting a reply, but hope they dont think "meh, shes used them" and refuse.

BeeMyBaby Sat 04-Mar-17 11:15:59

I suppose it depends on how long you've used them for? Maybe they may give you a joules voucher as a good will gesture but unsure if they would refund your money.

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 11:18:31

The first boot split day one of using them, and the second boot split on day 3. We were away in the scottish highlands.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 04-Mar-17 11:21:31

Depends how long you have had them for. But be prepared for no refund - asda 100 day guarantee doesn't cover footwear - I tried to return school shoes where the entire sole fell apart within 2 weeks of wear. They told me they were occasion shoes and nothing they could do.

CrochetQueenfromCoventry Sat 04-Mar-17 11:22:12

They're not fit for purpose of course you can return them.

littlefrog3 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:24:49

If anything is faulty, you're entitled to a refund. Don't let them tell you any different.

Although, as someone said above, it does depend how long you have had them.

EnormousTiger Sat 04-Mar-17 11:35:07

If you bought on line from a trader (the seller may howeve rnotb e a trader) you have 14 days to claim a full refund and there does not need tyo be a fault (under distance selling rules). If you paid by credit card your card company under s75 Consumer Credit Act should refund you anyway.

I would check first if you can do the 14 day cancellation without fault thing.

OutToGetYou Sat 04-Mar-17 11:36:21

How did you carry on using them for two more days after the first one split, did she hop for two days?

Yes, you should get a refund.

OutToGetYou Sat 04-Mar-17 11:37:40

DON'T use the 14 day cancellation rule - with that, you have to pay the postage back and do not get your postage out refunded. Ask for a refund due to them being faulty. Then you won't pay to return them and will be refunded the full amount you paid including delivery.

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 11:43:32

Because (1) they were (and are) still wearable they just let the wet and cold in easier (2) we were unable to go out and buy more brand new snow boots for her immediatley so had little choice.

EnormousTiger Sat 04-Mar-17 13:35:30

The 14 day cancellation rule does refund the postage of the goods to you where the terms said so (but not back) and it means there is no argument about fault at all so for the sake of postage surely it's an awful lot simpler just go for that BUT it does not apply to someone who is not a business selling to you so it might not be available anyway if the Ebay seller is just a private individual.

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 13:37:47

The seller was Joules. They have an outlet store online.

OutToGetYou Sat 04-Mar-17 14:22:52

EnormousTiger "The 14 day cancellation rule does refund the postage of the goods to you where the terms said so (but not back) "

Yes, if the terms say so, but the terms don't have to say so and the law does not cover this. You were referring to the distance selling regs, I was commenting on the regs, not on some 'term' that we don't know exists (and you have now invented).

And you also mentioned the Consumer Credit Act s75 and credit card refunds, this is only applicable to goods over £100. If those boots were over £100 I'll eat my own feet.

laurzj82 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:25:33

Yes you are entitled to a refund. If they've lasted that little time then they are not fit for purpose. Stand your ground.

TheProblemOfSusan Sat 04-Mar-17 14:27:04

Sounds like they're not fit for purpose to me - they may offer to swap or repair them. But, Joules is a pretty good retailer, they may just send you a refund and ask you to return the boots for inspection.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 04-Mar-17 14:27:29

The first boot split day one of using them, and the second boot split on day 3. We were away in the scottish highlands.

YANBU, but because you used them again after one of the boots split, it suggests you continued to think they were fit for purpose. So not sure if you could get a refund based on that.

BigGreenOlives Sat 04-Mar-17 14:29:58

I'm sure Joules will refund as they did for a friend of mine after 4 months.

Brownsauce83 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:35:21

I've had the exact same issue with the same boots! Also whilst away in the Scottish Highlands! I've been in touch with Joules this week and they have emailed me a free post label so I can return them for a refund. They were fine about it and very helpful.

jinglestheelf Sat 04-Mar-17 14:36:44

We bought the same boots from the eBay store and exactly the same thing happened in the same place. They offered a refund on return of the boots. Clearly it's some sort of manufacturing fault.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 04-Mar-17 14:39:05

Clearly why they were in clearance in the first place!

They'll refund.

TheWitTank Sat 04-Mar-17 14:39:14

Joules are rubbish quality! My mum had some wellies which lasted a couple of months and then split. They were outlasted by a £9.99 pair from the local farm shop.

SpoofersAreLosers Sat 04-Mar-17 14:41:33

I'd insist on money back. They look rubbish quality to have split there.

ruby1234 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:48:46

Joules replaced some wellies for me which had split round the ankles.... I had had them for well over a year and worn them quite a lot. Joules were really nice and sent me new ones in the (differeet) design I asked for.

Worth contacting them I would think.

Sistafromanuthamista Sat 04-Mar-17 14:52:50

Just ask for a refund. I had the ugg boots which zipped up. left zip became faulty within a week, I carried on using them then six ish weeks later the right zip completely broke. I bought them from sole trader, I was all ready to argue they were not fit for purpose but they didn't quibble in the slightest and refunded me.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 04-Mar-17 15:03:19

Why are you asking on here instead of going back to Joules?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now