Talk

Advanced search

Feeling very uncomfortable about what I've just seen

(229 Posts)
thatverynightinmaxsroom Sat 04-Mar-17 11:00:18

It's a really miserable day here today - wet, windy etc. Just driving home and saw a little girl (7ish?) walking alone down the street. I slowed down because it's unusual to see kids of that age alone outside round here and unusual to see anyone outside on a day like this!
She was followed by a little boy, similar age. She turned into a front garden and I thought she was going in but she just looked through the window. The boy sat down on a mat on the pavement outside the house (there was quite a lot of junk in the front garden).

I turned the car round, put the window down and asked if they were okay. At that point a man out his head out and yelled at them to come in.

I know it's not massive, most of us have probably seen worse, but I can't get the image of the little boy sitting on the sodden mat out of my head and I'm just wondering if anyone would do anything about this.

DellaPorter Sat 04-Mar-17 11:02:00

Yes, I would report that. Then if the family is known to social services, it will be picked up.

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Mar-17 11:08:14

I'm not sure, as it's hard to know what you saw really.

I know when I was a kid, the wild weather never stopped me and my brother playing outside on a Saturday morning.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sat 04-Mar-17 11:10:25

Oh God you might see that outside my house any day!

My DD is 8...could pass for 7. She often has a little walk up and down our street. She also might sit on the step...look through the window....

What was wrong with what you saw exactly? A man spoke not very nicely...that's the worst thing...nothing else really to note.

Sunnydaysrock Sat 04-Mar-17 11:10:33

Were they dressed appropriately for wet weather? If so, possibly they had been out playing. If not, I'd be inclined to agree with Della

DenimChicken Sat 04-Mar-17 11:10:52

What would you be reporting?

BigcatLittlecat Sat 04-Mar-17 11:11:44

The fact that you have questioned on here about it shows that you know its not right. Do report it, it would be part of the bigger picture.

saoirse31 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:12:10

Possibly the man saw u as the threat in the circs. A sad thing in your post is both no one playing out and your shock at playing out in bad weather.

GahBuggerit Sat 04-Mar-17 11:15:02

id be uncomfortable at seeing a woman following two small children in her car and winding windows down to speak to them and would prob call 01 with your reg number to be on the safe side. nTHAT would make me very uncomfortable yes.

the situation you describe, not so much

IamFriedSpam Sat 04-Mar-17 11:19:01

People get very defensive when anyone mentions that something might be reported in case it could happen to them. I always say if you're concerned just report. Tell them factually what you saw. If they don't think it's a problem they won't investigate, if they're also concerned they'll investigate. Might turn out to be nothing in which case great, if children are being neglected then they can get some help.

IamFriedSpam Sat 04-Mar-17 11:21:25

GahBuggerit if you were concerned you'd be more than reasonable to call the 101 and give OP's reg. They would probably contact her ask what she was doing, she'd tell them and nothing further would come of it. Hardly a big deal.

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Mar-17 11:23:49

Report by all means but I'm not entirely sure exactly what you would be reporting?

"2 children who live at 23 Mumsnet Lane, were out in not very nice weather. One of them sat on a wet mat and the guy in the house shouted them in."

I'm really not sure what else you could say confused

EnormousTiger Sat 04-Mar-17 11:25:09

I once saw a toddler on a pavement and I took him to the police station across the road actually! He could not speak so I felt he had no choice. Later his family collected him from the station. I would still do the same thing again as if my children escaped the house I would want someone to do that for me even if I were accused iof kidnapping a child!

It's hard though as a parent might have made a child wait in the front garden because they were misbehaving at home and some allow children otu more. My twins were the first in their school to walk home alone - no other parent allowed it!

Sweets101 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:25:22

It's really confusing that there are 2 threads on this!

yorkshapudding Sat 04-Mar-17 11:25:34

So, essentially, you saw two children walking very close to their home in bad weather and they then went home where there was an adult waiting for them? Unless they were very inappropriately dressed for the conditions, seemed distressed or exhibited signs of neglect that you haven't haven't mentioned I'm not sure what exactly you would be reporting.

If the family is known to social services, it will be picked up

Picked up how? What are people expecting them to do exactly? Children's services really aren't going to be interested in the fact that two children have been allowed to play outside in bad weather unless they were out there for hours, not allowed in the house, doing something dangerous or in in adequate clothing.

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Mar-17 11:26:50

Exactly Yorksha

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Mar-17 11:28:44

Another one here who's not sure exactly what it was you'd be reporting.

Sweets101 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:28:53

If the children are on a child protection plan or child in need plan what they won't think is "what the fuck have you told us this for"
Information helps!

littlefrog3 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:29:04

I agree. I am not sure what you can report.

Keep an eye on them and monitor the situation. If you report now, it may give the parent a heads-up, and if they ARE abusing the children, they will cover their tracks.

To be honest, when I used to live half hour walk from a sink estate, and I used to go for walks on summer days, I saw lots of kids yelled at by the parents; it's commonplace in certain areas/families sadly. Think Jeremy Kyle/Benefits Britain kind of families.

ItShouldHaveBeenJingleJess Sat 04-Mar-17 11:29:58

What worra said. You have no evidence of neglect or abuse.

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Mar-17 11:30:34

Even if they are on some sort of plan, what exactly is wrong with being outside in not very nice weather, and then getting called inside by an adult?? confused

GahBuggerit Sat 04-Mar-17 11:30:57

oh i know spam, just saying out of tge two scenarios op's actions are, to me, the most report worthy

ItShouldHaveBeenJingleJess Sat 04-Mar-17 11:32:08

Think Jeremy Kyle/Benefits Britain kind of families What a charmingly judgemental bloody statement.

CaraAspen Sat 04-Mar-17 11:32:55

I think we should trust our instincts. The OP saw this and had a gut feeling it wasn't right.

Sweets101 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:33:39

From what OP said it was as much about the children's behaviour in the scenario as the scenario itself.
You couldn't really say if/how/why the info could be of interest as part of a wider picture. It might not be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now