Talk

Advanced search

To ask for 5 minutes of quiet time

(25 Posts)
kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 10:21:02

DD, 6, is lovely, it is just me and her though and she talks constantly, about nothing!

Today I have had enough of it and just asked her for 5 minutes of silence, she looked at me as though I'd said I was about to eat her. WIBU?

OhHolyFuck Sat 04-Mar-17 10:26:58

Oh god no.
I'm trying to have five minutes in my room, ds2 is crawling all over me, trying to balance paw patrol figures on my head, get me to pull faces and every time I say 'just five minutes, ds2, just be quiet for 5 minutes" he tries to kiss or cuddle me - something you can't be mad at him for but is still demanding attention

Lilaclily Sat 04-Mar-17 10:28:25

Have you got her the book five minutes piece about the large family? It might help smile

littlefrog3 Sat 04-Mar-17 10:34:04

LOL I remember those days. My 2 could talk for England about sod-all, and even though I loved them to bits (still do!) it could get a little wearing occasionally when they had been chirping for hours. What about sitting in front of a cute Disney film? Or another kids film that they've never seen before?

I know some people think 'using the tv as a babysitter is wrong,' but they're usually people who have other people to look after their kids quite often. Otherwise they wouldn't say using the tv as a babysitter is wrong IYSWIM! And what's wrong with it anyway, especially if you watch it with them.

You sound like a great mom by the way! smile

kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 11:01:00

She lasted roughly a minute and is now reciting all of the kings and queens in the form of the horrible histories song hmm

kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 11:02:00

Film is a no go as going to see Justin's Party at the theatre later... today shall be loud.

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Sat 04-Mar-17 11:11:06

DD was a late talker, but soon made up for lost time. During a car journey from London to Gretna Green, she talked ,incessantly. She didn't have a particular topic - it was just a stream of consciousness as she articulated every random thought that came into her head. I couldn't tune out and offer non committal responses as she would demand clarification. I got out of the car feeling as if my head would explode. Fortunately, she slept on the car journey home,

dingdongthewitchisdead1 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:20:22

Omg I could have written this!!! My DD6 talks constantly to the point where my ears fucking bleed!!! I love her dearly of course and have a lot to be thankful for... but it's at the point where is don't listen to the radio, ever.. it's hard to plan routes when driving in my head, think about what I'm doing for tea. And fuck me when it comes to Tesco... I dump her with the closest relative and run there by myself. God knows what would end up in the trolley otherwise!

I'm told it tapers off and one day I will miss it.....

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Sat 04-Mar-17 11:29:28

Sorry to disappoint you singsong but DD is now 20 and can still talk the hind legs off a donkey. The upside is that growing up, I knew everything that was happening in her class as she always gave me a blow by blow account of the day.

Trifleorbust Sat 04-Mar-17 11:47:24

Can't she go and play in the garden or something? Put a door between you!

TheOnlyColditz Sat 04-Mar-17 11:50:24

Headphones for yourself. Let her yarp on and you listen to music. Make it clear that you aren't listening for x amount of time.

I have a gabbler too, it's always pokemon and I am utterly fed up with it.

Notso Sat 04-Mar-17 12:09:43

I hide in the downstairs bathroom.

NavyandWhite Sat 04-Mar-17 12:24:20

Poor you. This drives me insane. Ds 10 is a witterer. Could you leave her with her toys/iPad/tv for a short time while you had a bath with the door locked grin

kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 12:27:28

She demands responses! I have a break while she's at her musical theatre class, would it be too rude to sit away from the mums I'm friends with?!

MrsTarzan1 Sat 04-Mar-17 12:34:42

Ha ha I think we may have the same daughter! I often say I need 5 mins of quiet, YANBU!

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 12:35:48

I saw someone on here say that whenever they sit down with a brew they take a damp flannel.

Any dc that come up and try and talk get their face washed. She said they sharp learned to stay away.

Binkybix Sat 04-Mar-17 12:43:09

Film is a no go as going to see Justin's Party at the theatre later... today shall be loud

Why does this mean she can't watch TV now?! Mine is a talker. I have occasionally had to ask for quiet time.

Algebraic Sat 04-Mar-17 12:50:39

What about building in some quiet time to your days routine? You read a book, she reads a book etc. Maybe if it's structured and something she know will happen it might be easier to be quiet.

downwardfacingdog Sat 04-Mar-17 12:58:51

My DD5 is the same. She talks at me constantly. Tbh when DH is home he's just as bad. If I disappear off he comes to find me or I can hear him asking the DC where I am. The only way I can get peace is to announce I'm going for a poo and lock myself in the bathroom!

kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 13:01:46

I prefer to do crafty type things if doing something visual later as DD gets a bit zombified otherwise-a rambling on stop zombie still!

kineticmagnetic Sat 04-Mar-17 13:02:13

Books are good until she starts telling me all about the story!

landoflostcontent Sat 04-Mar-17 13:03:45

This will probably out me to the family but MIL (who had a large family) was once heard to say in exasperation: "Will you all please go away for five minutes and give me ten minutes peace for half an hour!"

redexpat Sat 04-Mar-17 13:05:21

Are you an elefant? Is your name Mrs Large?

Five minutes' peace

CheshireChat Sat 04-Mar-17 13:21:10

NapQueen That sounds awfully like training puppies by spraying them with some water grin.

I'm worried that my DS might not get any better now confused, he's 2 and chatters constantly. I've been known to go round and round Asda not being able to focus on what I need.

SheepyFun Sat 04-Mar-17 19:39:06

Sounds just like my DD (4), though she will sometimes play by herself (while talking to herself) for a few minutes. If your DD is 6, OP, surely she's at school where she has to sit quietly some of the time - any chance you can use some of the techniques her teachers use to get her to be quiet?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now