Talk

Advanced search

10+ days

(21 Posts)
supergirl101 Sat 04-Mar-17 01:12:29

Hello, just wondering if anyone has, has experienced this.

DC is EBF and only poohs every 10+days. I have had them to the doctors and they said hey tummy isn't hard so is ok. But to not go for 10/11/12 days can't be good for them?

Grilledaubergines Sat 04-Mar-17 01:18:13

That does seem a very long time and I'm not surprised you're concerned. Although it doesn't sound as though the dr is. Does your baby drink water at all, as that should help. Is your baby distressed? Drawing knees up to their chest etc?

kiwipie Sat 04-Mar-17 01:51:16

If he is still EBF, they can go upto 14 days without pooing. The wonders of breastmilk, nothing goes to waste

TanteRose Sat 04-Mar-17 02:08:31

My DS only pooed once a week or so when he was EBF. That was once breastfeeding was fairly well established, not from the start.
How old is your baby? If he's newborn then he should be still having plenty of dirty nappies but if he's a couple of months or more, then leave him to it.
Everything changes when he starts on solid food!

TanteRose Sat 04-Mar-17 02:09:00

And no need to give water to a EBF baby 😊

emmyhNL Sat 04-Mar-17 06:05:28

Nope, not unusual. Mt daughter was ebf and pooped once a fortnight

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sat 04-Mar-17 08:23:44

My son was ebf and would go a long time between poos. I remember being concerned and then he'd have a huge poonami.

Sassypants82 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:27:36

My son once went 16 days when EBF, totally normal, once tummy is soft & baby is happy.

supergirl101 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:44:01

She is nearly 4 months. She isn't in any pain except when passing wind but suffers from colic. I come from a family where if u don't go once a day u should go to the doctors! confused

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 04-Mar-17 08:46:03

My EBF baby was quite regular but I was told that it was not unusual for EBF babies to go a number of days without pooing.

Nearly two weeks without though and I would be worried. Phone health visitor tomorrow if still nothing.

OuchBollocks Sat 04-Mar-17 08:47:26

Is she gaining weight well? Lots of wet nappies? Bright and alert between sleep periods? What is the poo like when it happens, is it fairly easy to pass? If yes to all of those then hooray! You're lucky not to have a poopy baby and you will miss these days once she starts solids, oh yes. And an ebf baby doesn't need water.

Mari50 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:50:37

The joys of breast milk! My DD did one poo every 7-10 days until she was weaned, it was heaven.

Joffmognum Sat 04-Mar-17 08:56:34

I'm the other end of the spectrum. My LO is 5 months old and poos every two hours, about as often as he drinks. EBF again. He's otherwise perfectly healthy, it just means i have to do a nappy wash every day. I'd recommend being reeeeeally slow at giving them solid food, just in case it bungs them up more.

ZZZZ1111 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:05:17

You don't need to give water to a breastfed baby (or any baby under six months).

It's normal to go for that long between poos in a child of that age.

Grilledaubergines Sat 04-Mar-17 13:40:38

Well you live and learn! I didn't know breastfed babies don't need water.

Trifleorbust Sat 04-Mar-17 13:43:43

I would definitely be worried and would ask for a second opinion. I'm sure she is fine but I would want more than one doctor's view.

AlcoholicsUnanimous Sat 04-Mar-17 13:49:40

My DD is EBF and pooed every every 7-10 days until she started solids.

monkeysox Sat 04-Mar-17 13:55:45

Live and learn indeed. My two were ebf and they did 6+ poos each day!

silkpyjamasallday Sat 04-Mar-17 14:02:03

My dd is the same, ebf and only does a poo once a week or so. If the doctor has told you not to worry I think you can put your worries to rest. I just see it as one of the most tangible benefits of breastfeeding! I love not having to deal with pooey nappies everyday, I don't think DP has done one for months!

Grilledaubergines Sat 04-Mar-17 15:02:03

silk your DP does pooey nappies?

Fluteytootey Sat 04-Mar-17 15:06:27

My EBF daughter also only pooed every 10+ days. She's 2 now and goes every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now