Talk

Advanced search

Vomit and mattress - please help!

(17 Posts)
Dobbyandme Fri 03-Mar-17 22:15:53

Posting here for traffic. Please help me! First time mum and my daughter has made it to 18 months without ever throwing up.

She's made up for it tonight though in buckets and spades, all over my newish mattress. Have scrubbed it with soapy water, covered in bicarb powder and vacuumed. Unfortunately it's a single sided mattress and won't flip. I've laid towels over the wet patch to get us through the night.

What else can I do, either tonight or in the morning? Thanks in advance

Ginmakesitallok Fri 03-Mar-17 22:17:24

Bicarb of soda, zoflora, febreeze.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Mar-17 22:19:01

bio washing powder made into a paste. scrub it in and leave the enzymes to work for a while.

Astoria7974 Fri 03-Mar-17 22:19:19

Vanish power scrubbed through it, then febreeze. If you can air it somewhere standing up.

Do you have a waterproof mattress protector? Dunelm do some good ones.

Dobbyandme Fri 03-Mar-17 22:25:49

Brilliant, thanks all.

Astoria No. Because that would be common sense. Which I apparently lack! And IBU for that! I will be investing tomorrow though. Thanks for the tip about Dunelm.

Poor little thing is terrified. It was like having whatserface from The Exorcist sat on my lap!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Mar-17 22:32:38

poor little lass. Poor you too. Not a nice night.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Mar-17 22:36:35

Poor little thing it's horrid.

Bicarbonate paste - air it - outside of weather allows tomorrow. Has it got a zip off layer you can wash?

Dobbyandme Fri 03-Mar-17 22:51:38

No empirerecords , it hasn't. Really didn't think things through when I bought it did I?!

She's snoring through a breastfeed at the moment. Hoping she keeps it all down and manages to sleep for a while.

Meanwhile DH has lined us up some films just in case it's an all-nighter...

ArchNotImpudent Fri 03-Mar-17 22:58:52

If the above suggestions fail, try an upholstery spray designed for pet 'accidents' - I've found them equally good with human 'accidents'. I hope your DD recovers soon.

Dobbyandme Sat 04-Mar-17 10:54:18

Thanks Archnot , I'll bear that in mind.

Vomit free since 4am so I think we've made it through. She seems happier this morning too so that's a good sign. Just the aftermath to deal with. My poor washing machine is going to take a beating today. It's quite difficult to convince a child of 18 months to use the bucket so we have one clean towel left in the house plus all the bedding from the first incident. And it's going to rain...

But hey ho!

poppy2021 Sat 04-Mar-17 18:09:06

Groupon have some good deals on mattress protectors just now https://www.groupon.co.uk/browse/edinburgh?lat=55.95&lng=-3.18&address=Edinburgh&query=mattress+protector&locale=en_GB

poppy2021 Sat 04-Mar-17 18:10:44

Sorry link doesn't work properly. Just search for mattress protector

Dobbyandme Sat 04-Mar-17 20:41:42

Thanks Poppy.

Bicarb didn't really touch it, so did washing powder instead. It's gone bloody crusty and won't come off. What the hell do I do now?!

Previously1488218868 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:49:17

Simple Solution which is available from Pets at Home in spray (usually in the cat section) or a big turquoise bottle in the dog section. It is made of enzymes and good for anything of an 'organic' nature.

If you are going to scrub, you need to start at the centre and work outwards otherwise you push the 'stuff' in further.

PAH also sell another pet stain cleaner own brand - do not get that by mistake, it contains some very unpleasant things which will destroy your nasal passages and possibly your lungs as well, and no doubt the mattress.

Littlebatcalledlucille Sat 04-Mar-17 20:52:53

Poor DD!!
Vodka? In a spray pump bottle? (Dilute with a little water ) and let the air at it?
hope it helps!

mycatloveslego Sat 04-Mar-17 20:55:36

If you're struggling to get rid of the vomit smell, I'd recommend ValetPro Enzyme odour eater. It's for cars but works on all soft furnishings, when mixed with water the enzymes digest the bacteria that make the vomit smell. Worked a treat on DS's car seat and on his new carpet!

ImNotReallyReal Sat 04-Mar-17 20:55:57

Vacuum cleaner and squeegee to get the washing powder off.

Simple Solutions from the pet shop or Amazon. It's never failed me yet, it still smells funky when wet but as it drys the smell and stain go. I've saved many soft furnishings from milky sick.

Hope your DD feels better and you have a peaceful night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now