Talk

Advanced search

Just keep the bloody power on!

(32 Posts)
LoopyLou1981 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:41:06

Massive train delays this evening. There was a trespasser walking down the track so they cut the power (and obviously stopped all of the trains) while they tried to remove them.
AIBU to say just keep the power on and trains moving, the trespasser will soon stop dicking about and 100s of commuters won't be starting their weekend late! 😠

StillaChocoholic Fri 03-Mar-17 17:43:20

I can understand how annoying it is but what happens if they don't cut the power and the trespasser doesn't stop dicking around and get off the track?
Dead trespasser, traumatised train driver and passengers, more delays and people pissed off that nothing was done about said trespasser.

barinatxe Fri 03-Mar-17 17:48:36

YABU to want the trespasser to be killed immediately, but perhaps a better solution would be to briefly kill the power and then gradually turn it up. The trespasser will get the message by means of increasingly serious shocks.

People who trespass for no good reason should be forced to pay for the inconvenience caused by there actions. Obviously there need to be limits, a suicidal trespasser shouldn't be billed but kids fucking around or someone dumping an old washing machine should be made to pay.

IamFriedSpam Fri 03-Mar-17 17:50:15

YANBU for being annoyed there should be serious criminal consequences for anyone on the track that said those consequences should certainly not be death (and trauma for the driver and passengers). That person could be mentally ill (and even a dickhead who just does it for fun shouldn't be killed!).

alltouchedout Fri 03-Mar-17 17:51:28

I don't think people should die so you aren't inconvenienced, no.

Trifleorbust Fri 03-Mar-17 17:54:35

This could be someone suicidal, mentally disturbed, trying to damage property or cause injury. The danger is to anyone sent to deal with them as well as to them. Bit immature, OP.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Fri 03-Mar-17 17:55:15

Heaven forfend your weekend be delayed angry. Are you one of those who also complains about traffic jams caused by a crash, or when someone is contemplating jumping from an overpass? A trespasser on the tracks is usually a euphemism for a suicidal person they are trying to talk back to safety. People who genuinely trespass only usually do it as a short cut and have been and gone before any intervention is needed. Or would you prefer they just got on with it and traumatised their own family, passengers families, the driver and their family?
YABU, tactless, completely lacking in empathy and common human decency, but hey, so long as you can get on with your weekend.

Spotsondots Fri 03-Mar-17 17:55:58

YABVU. Yes it is annoying that you are delayed. No they shouldn't be trespassing. How on earth can you think it is ok for them to die? The trespasser could be a child or teen, a person with mental illness, someone contemplating taking their own life. Who are you to decide they should just be wiped out because you are annoyed that you're late home.

PizzaPower Fri 03-Mar-17 17:57:55

Not nice OP, have a biscuit

LoopyLou1981 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:58:27

When did I say I wanted them to die? I said keep the power on so the trains can keep running. I didn't say they had to walk on the live part of the track or infront of a train did I.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Fri 03-Mar-17 18:05:15

Really??? The fact that the power is off, means they are on a part where the trains or tracks themselves would cause injury or death, Are you completely devoid of anything regarding sense? If they are suicidal or mentally ill and unable to comprehend the danger they are in and they do take one of those actions are you just going to shrug and say well I never told them to? Indeed Op, why should you be inconvenienced because someone else needs help, after all, you didn't get them into that situation and it's nothing to do with you so why should it impact your life?
Or, you could try looking in a mirror and thinking if you or a member of your family where in that state would you want a bit of compassion for them or just let the trains continue and well it's their own fault if something happens?

cochineal7 Fri 03-Mar-17 18:18:42

Power on AND trains running while someone is on the line. You are only increasing chances of death here. Nice one.

DrinksFewAndPeopleMany Fri 03-Mar-17 18:23:48

Darwinism! Have to say there are many times I would agree with you OP. Especially on a Friday evening

harderandharder2breathe Fri 03-Mar-17 18:24:00

Yabu

I too get frustrated at delays but as PP said someone dicking about doesn't usually require intervention as they leg it once discovered. So "trespasser" very likely means attempted suicide. So no, they can't have live tracks and trains running.

specialsubject Fri 03-Mar-17 18:25:12

While commuting is hell, this person may be very sick and trying to kill themselves. We dont allow that. It is also not fair to risk the drivers hitting the person.

CussingQuim Fri 03-Mar-17 18:28:33

Come on, this post CANNOT be for real. They're winding you up guys!!

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Mar-17 18:29:44

People with dementia wander. Just an idea.

Dawndonnaagain Fri 03-Mar-17 18:32:03

You're a fucking delight, aren't you. Heaven forfend you be inconvenienced, because somebody may be to ill to know what they're doing.

Happyandhungry Fri 03-Mar-17 18:32:35

"Trespasser on the tracks" usually relates to someone very distressed trying to kill themselves or considering killing themselves or someone very ill and unwell. It is rarely a trespasser as in someone taking the piss. An elderly man died at the train station near me recently as he wandered out in the middle of the night (he had dementia) no trains were running at the time but they found him on the tracks in the morning he had died from electrocution. I am sure his family would love your comments you massive bellend OP.

HarmlessChap Fri 03-Mar-17 18:47:16

YABU, or possibly monumentally dim.

IDontLoveGlitterGlitterLovesMe Fri 03-Mar-17 18:49:14

Well I hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your weekend. Did that person mean to be so rude?

shock

AnyFucker Fri 03-Mar-17 18:49:36

Ugh

SoupDragon Fri 03-Mar-17 18:52:02

When did I say I wanted them to die?

When you suggested turning the power back on whilst they wer still on th tracks and your call that this would stop them "dicking about"

Surely you can't be that stupid??

Sparklingbrook Fri 03-Mar-17 18:52:19

Some things are best left as a thought. In your head.

You let it escape onto a thread on MN. hmm

Articfox Fri 03-Mar-17 18:59:35

OP this is one of those occasions where you think it but don't say it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now