We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About DD'S preschool

(4 Posts)
laurzj82 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:33:38

DD just coming up to 3yo and has been attending nursery since she was 10 months 1 day a week. Will be going 2.5 days when we get funding after Easter. I am probably be PFB about this so wanted to check what the "norm" is in your DCs preschool.

DD is really painfully shy and has speech delay. She talks at home but is behind her peers. At nursery or out and about at groups etc hardly says a word. I have spoken to hv and to the nursery about a few other possible read flags and we're adopting a wait and see approach.

Trouble is, she keeps having her key worker changed. Think she's on about the 4th or 5th one now. She just gets used to one and they move her so she goes really shy again. I know they can't help it if people leave but it must be so hard for her. Is such a high turnover the norm where your DCs go?? I appreciate perhaps the 1 day only a week probably hasn't helped!

Can I ask to go in and meet the new key worker? I don't want to be 'that mum'. Am I being PFB?

I am aren't I!? blush

JonesyAndTheSalad Fri 03-Mar-17 11:38:39

I don't think it's the norm. You can go in to meet the new keyworker. Just make an appointment with the manager asap and tell her that you have worries about DD...tell her that whilst you know they can't help it if workers leave, you'd appreciate meeting the next one.

Or....change nurseries?

Craftyoldhen Fri 03-Mar-17 11:38:41

No I don't think you are.

I would go in and raise your concerns. And of course ask to meet the new key worker, I would've thought that was standard TBH.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:48:48

I think there are a couple of factors here. For a shy, sensitive child, attending once a week isn't really enough to properly settle down and feel confident, even over such a long period. In addition, she may be getting passed around keyworkers depending on their work load as she will be relatively low maintenance in that regard and they can focus on just their other charges four days of the week.

I'm assuming that sending her more often isn't financially workable and they may not have extra hours free in any case. So I don't know what the solution is but hopefully the nursery will listen to you and be a bit more thoughtful regarding her needs in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now