Talk

Advanced search

To loose my weekend just incase my friend needs me

(5 Posts)
creamcheeseandlox Fri 03-Mar-17 08:33:34

So my neighbour and good friend (all our dc's are in the same classes) is going to a wedding this weekend. Her sisters are over to look after her children. I work weekends so any weekend I have at home is precious family time. My friend asked me if I could look after her dc's on Sunday to take over from her sisters so they could get to the airport incase they weren't back from the wedding. She didn't even say definitely, this morning said she may not even need me. I mentioned this to DH and he said that we have to loose our whole day (we were going to go out as a family) just INCASE we are needed to mind her dc for an hour, and can't they make sure they are back from the wedding. I do feel the same as we will have to hang around the house while they have no sense of urgency to get back 'just incase' I'm needed, but this may not even happen. What can I say to her?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 03-Mar-17 08:39:32

as an EMERGENCY, I'd say yes....and limit the Sunday to something where you could get home if necessary

Mind you, our sundays are usually full of ideas, but the reality is we slob around in our jammies till it's too late to bother with fark all! grin

but on the off chance if she maybe just fancies a long lie and a jolly good gossip with Great Aunt Josephine then I'd be less keen.

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Fri 03-Mar-17 08:58:33

You have plans. Just tell her you can't do it.

If you do give up your day out for the sake of an hour or possibly nothing you'll just resent her for it.

You don't have to drop everything if a friend asks. This isn't an emergency or a life or death situation.

IamFriedSpam Fri 03-Mar-17 09:01:51

I probably wouldn't - cancel a rare family day out for it; can't she just get a babysitter?

creamcheeseandlox Fri 03-Mar-17 09:09:04

The thing is we are always helping each other out when needed and she picked up my two twice from school and minded then for an hour or so a few weeks back when I was stuck at work so I feel As if she has one in the bank. I also said yes to this apparently a few months back 🤔 when she originally planned it, but of course I didn't remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now