Talk

Advanced search

I'm prepared to be flamed but I get very irritated by people referring to "the floor" when they mean the ground.

(84 Posts)
Salmotrutta Thu 02-Mar-17 21:59:28

Go on.

Roast me.

I don't care.

I hear people referring to "the floor" all the blooming time when they mean "the ground".

For example:- "I was walking along the road and I dropped my purse on the floor

No you didn't - you dropped it on the ground.

Yes, I know I'm being horrible but I can't help it.

Sistermister Thu 02-Mar-17 22:01:00

Yabu for posting in AIBU. There's a pedants corner y'know 😜

Salmotrutta Thu 02-Mar-17 22:01:32

Yeah.

I know... 😯😯

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 02-Mar-17 22:02:47

DH says, "I'm going to bed" when he's already in bed and means, "I'm going to sleep". I correct him every time because I'm a total arsehole.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 02-Mar-17 22:04:00

salmo - are you Scottish? I am but live in England. I hear this floor thing all the time down here but never in Scotland. Totally annoying. A floor is in a house. Not outside!

And then everyone looks at me weirdly when I ask where they stay!

derxa Thu 02-Mar-17 22:07:23

Yes very annoying. I'm Scottish too. I also say, 'I'm going to my bed'. We Scots like to be specific. grin

BestZebbie Thu 02-Mar-17 22:09:35

To me the ground is unsurfaced - so in a field or a dirt path - whereas a floor is a man-made surface. So inside a building there is a floor, but a pavement is a floor too.

eddiemairswife Thu 02-Mar-17 22:11:13

Is this 'floor' thing regional? I'm originally from London, but now live in the Midlands and 'floor' is very common here.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 02-Mar-17 22:12:08

Yes derxa - I also like to say I'm off to "the Aldi" or "the Sainsburys"

At least I've taught DH what the big light is now

BestZebbie Thu 02-Mar-17 22:12:26

Thinking about this further, an ice-rink is a floor (but a frozen pond very definitely isn't!), and a road is a different category of "road" - so I think the definition is to do with being man-made but also intended for pedestrian use.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 02-Mar-17 22:14:15

BestZebbie but a floor is indoors, not outdoors. Google 'flooring' and be prepared to have your mind blown.

HerRoyalNotness Thu 02-Mar-17 22:14:28

DH says this, he's northern. Grinds my gears it does. He also says mud for any kind of ground that isn't paved over, i.e. Dirt. That also pisses me off.

Redcrayons Thu 02-Mar-17 22:15:06

So ground = outside and floor = inside? Never thought about the difference before.
I have a Scottish friend who says 'going to my bed'. I like the exactness of it.

rainbowunicorn Thu 02-Mar-17 22:16:57

yes this is one of my pet hates

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 02-Mar-17 22:17:37

DH also used to say, "irregardless" <shudders>

derxa Thu 02-Mar-17 22:18:38

"irregardless" grin

forfucksakenet Thu 02-Mar-17 22:19:59

smile didn't realise 'going to my bed' wasn't the norm! How funny. I say 'through the house' when I mean the room next door. For example, here take that through the house to dad smile

libertydoddle Thu 02-Mar-17 22:20:59

A floor is the surface you stand on inside a building or in something like a bus. It is not a hard surface on which you stand outdoors. Calling the footpath or the road 'the floor' is just wrong.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Thu 02-Mar-17 22:21:18

The phrase I hate the most is:
"Can I ask you a question?"

You already did...

Salmotrutta Thu 02-Mar-17 22:22:22

Gobbolino - yes I'm Scottish!

I don't know if it's cultural/regional but it's bloody irritating.

A floor is an internal surface!!

angry

Salmotrutta Thu 02-Mar-17 22:23:18

irregardless???

What??

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 02-Mar-17 22:23:50

He is Canadian. But still.

SmileEachDay Thu 02-Mar-17 22:24:44

How do you feel about pelvic floor Salmo?

Catzpyjamas Thu 02-Mar-17 22:25:33

Oh good, I'm so glad someone else is annoyed by this. Floors are inside buildings! Anything else is the ground.

Glad we got that sorted, Salmotrutta. Now I'm off to my bed.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 02-Mar-17 22:26:04

I sometimes say floor for any hard unnatural surface...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: