Talk

Advanced search

to think being 'friends' on fb with people you see all this time is unnecessary

(20 Posts)
xmasadsboohiss Thu 02-Mar-17 21:38:45

just that. spot of pre weekend churlishness anyone?

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 02-Mar-17 22:21:32

TBH I don't see anybody all of the time anyway. I suppose I'm FB friends with DS - and we live in the same house. And it's a good way to share each other's photos - I'm not the type to whip out my phone and bore people insist people look at my photos.

YABU grin

Plunkette Thu 02-Mar-17 22:26:36

It depends what you use fb for surely?

Several of my friends use fb to organise nights out for example (via setting up a private event).

Besides, if they are your good friends why would you be unhappy about anything they posted on fb?

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Thu 02-Mar-17 22:47:55

I think being friends on FB with people you aren't friends with is a waste of time.

emmyrose2000 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:20:38

I think being friends on FB with people you aren't friends with is a waste of time

I agree. If I'm not going to want someone knowing my business in real life, why would I want them to see my private stuff on FB? (My FB is locked down with the tightest settings and has generic scenery pics as the cover and profile pics, so it's theoretically restricted to only those people I want to actually see it).

My FB is restricted to friends I already know in real life and family, plus 3 people I "met" online and later met up with in person when I visited their country.

In answer to the OP, I enjoy sharing photos with the people who were also at whatever event they were taken at. The easiest way is via FB. Ditto making arrangements for local events etc.

xmasadsboohiss Fri 03-Mar-17 13:05:12

what i'm driving at is people you see in the playground every day at school. i have most of their numbers if i want to arrange something so why on earth would i want to be on facebook with them. for me fb is for keeping in touch with friends and family who live far away. people who live around the corner? nah

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Fri 03-Mar-17 13:06:39

for me fb is for keeping in touch with friends and family who live far away

Ah you should have said, obviously your way is the only way and no-one elses usage could possibly be different or useful to them!

NerrSnerr Fri 03-Mar-17 13:08:52

If that's not what you want to use FB for then that's fine, but others use it for different reasons.

I like to see pictures of my friend's children etc.

MrsExpo Fri 03-Mar-17 13:12:44

I get your point OP. All my FB friends are people I know personally (I do know lots of people who accept friends requests from anyone, which is weird to me!). Some of them I see daily or very regularly, but I think it's kind of nice to have a little dialogue with people sometimes, comment on the daily ups and downs of their lives, share pictures etc. I also use it to keep in touch with events relating to a couple of clubs I'm a member of.

I also have friends and relatives who live in the USA, so it's great to keep up with them via FB, but that's a different thing.

xmasadsboohiss Fri 03-Mar-17 13:18:28

theonly yep it's my way or the high way for sure! smile

I'm just not mad about broadcasting my news indiscriminately is all. I know that makes me a bit of a crotchedy old dinosaur but hey hum.

LagunaBubbles Fri 03-Mar-17 13:21:43

what i'm driving at is people you see in the playground every day at school

Well since I work full time I dont see anyone in the playground.

i have most of their numbers if i want to arrange something so why on earth would i want to be on facebook with them

Dont be then. Others are different.

IamFriedSpam Fri 03-Mar-17 13:22:27

Why would it be pointless? For me It's just a place to share occasional photos and see what other people are up to. When I meet up with friends we don't look through each others photos but face books better because people can take it or leave it - I can flick through a few photos without being subjected to the entire album if I don't eat to be!

IamFriedSpam Fri 03-Mar-17 13:23:32

Especially with playground mums I actually like seeing their photos as I always get good ideas of places to take my DC's (I'm new to the area).

SaucyJack Fri 03-Mar-17 13:28:16

It's got nothing to do with distance or how frequently you see someone.

These people are mere acquaintances to you (from what I can tell). Why did you accept them as FB friends if you don't want them to be privy to details about your personal life?

NerrSnerr Fri 03-Mar-17 13:28:48

I tend not to broadcast news on Facebook (I am 34 weeks pregnant and we realised a few weeks back that we haven't told Facebook). I put pictures of my daughter, days out and chat to friends. If you don't want local friends on Facebook then that's fine, don't have them. I don't see how it's enough of an issue to start a thread on here about. It's your account so use it as you wish.

Plunkette Fri 03-Mar-17 13:50:08

But you don't have to broadcast your news "indiscriminately".

I personally only very rarely use fb for broadcasting news. "news" IMO should be shared through actual conversation with your nearest and dearest.

My pregnancy, DC's birth, moving house, change of jobs, illnesses etc - none of these are on my fb. If we're friends I'll have told you in real life.

We did do a general emigration announcement on FB when we moved to the US but my close friends and family had known for months at that point.

FB is for the odd holiday snap of the DC.

littlefrog3 Fri 03-Mar-17 13:52:04

I am! I sit there chatting to my hubby on FB when we are in the same room - AND I used to do it with my daughters too. They would message me and ask me to bring a drink upstairs for them. I'd do it too.

I'll get my coat.

Sparklingbrook Fri 03-Mar-17 13:53:21

I think FB itself is unnecessary. grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 03-Mar-17 13:55:10

It's all about sharing cat photos.
HTH.

littlefrog3 Fri 03-Mar-17 13:55:56

You can NEVER have too many cats! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now