Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone else is like me (weight loss)

(54 Posts)
wildpoppiesanddaisies Thu 02-Mar-17 20:09:12

Every day starts with good intentions.

Nearly every day ends with a shit load of fattening food <sigh>

I have to shift 5 stone but it's not happening - I'm just getting fatter and I'm actually scared where it may end! shock

justwanttoweeinpeace Thu 02-Mar-17 20:11:40

Me too, had a great day today and then totally screwed it up whilst making DS's tea.

I don't know how to stop it 😩

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 02-Mar-17 20:15:53

I'm the same, usually. I've been doing ok this week though, since Monday. I've made myself record everything in MFP and I've been weighing myself each day too, as I find that helps to focus my mind on what I'm doing. I've also done a 3 week meal plan so I know what I'm supposed to be eating.

I have about 7 stone to lose - a long way to go. But I'm trying to think on a daily basis whether today will take me closer or farther away from that goal.

Crunchymum Thu 02-Mar-17 20:16:54

Yep me. 4st to lose.

Lost 1st in 5 weeks, have gained it all back now.

Sigh.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 02-Mar-17 20:17:26

Me absolutely! There's just always something!

Dragongirl10 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:17:53

Get Louise Parkers Fit for Life book, l am not her!

The plan works and is so straighforward you can follow it in principle for ever, l have been doing it religiously for 6 weeks and lost 17 LBS. Not only does it work but it is really healthy, no gimmicks, quick to cook recipes and fact based.

Good luck

maybeshesawomble Thu 02-Mar-17 20:18:27

Is the day ending like that because you're hungry? I know that feeling - don't eat much all day (in my case because of being busy at work), home and woof inhale the kids fish fingers

wildpoppiesanddaisies Thu 02-Mar-17 20:19:42

Yeah a bit but I am also an emotional / boredom eater and only 'people' cure me - so if I'm with friends I'm OK but just going to the gym or something I'm not!

Jengnr Thu 02-Mar-17 20:21:44

Yep. 3 (ish, might be 4) to lose here and I'm finding it so tough sad

Msqueen33 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:22:19

Oh yeah that's me all over! Good intentions then it goes horribly wrong.

Arsenicinthesugarbowl Thu 02-Mar-17 20:23:41

The key for me was really thinking about how crap that food made me feel. I don't have lots of weight to lose but I just felt terrible. I'm almost 40 and my body can't cope with the sugar quite as well as it used to. I feel rubbish when I eat bad food.
So I read Gary taubes why we get fat which was fascinating and made total sense on why we get so hungry and keep eating junk.
For motivation I listen to fat burning man podcast. Plus planning in advance what you're eating makes me less likely to think fuck it and order pizza!

listsandbudgets Thu 02-Mar-17 20:30:59

I'm on a long weight loss journey which started in June. Overall I want to lose 6 stone 2 pounds to get to 10 stone - now 11 stone 13 so 1 stone 13 pounds to go. Started at 16 stone 2 pounds blush

I have days exactly like you describe - sometimes I just gorge myself on the most stupid foods. Along the way I've mentally written off a whole week never mind a day and sometimes gained and deserved it. Last week was one of those and I went up 4 pounds.

I find my good days are when I sit down the night before and plan what I'm going to eat and stick to it. I always plan in a treat in the evening she says munching on her crunchie bar but keep it within my calories allowance.

I also keep 100 calories back every day then have more or less what I like for lunch on Sunday as I find a looking forward to a day off really motivates me.

I am playing the long game. I know there will always be ups and downs and days and weeks I don't stick to it -days full of cake and crisps and biscuits and chocolate but I'm trying to keep my mind on the long term goal not beat myself up over the odd bad day or week.

Take it easy, take it slow and make sure you get a treat every day and manage your calories so you can have a cheat day every week and don't despair when you have a bad day. It seems to be working for me anyway..

Sorry came out longer than I meant to but hope I've said something helpful

Mrsglitterfairy Thu 02-Mar-17 20:35:08

Me too and I'm fucking miserable but can't seem to change my ways. I used to do slimming world and lost over 2 stone a couple of years ago but have put it all and more back on. I could do with losing a good 2 stone again to be the correct size for my height.
I start every day feeling positive but then get stressed at work or dip into the huge biscuit tub we have in the office. Or we're so tired at the end of the day that we revert to our old friends the takeaway blush

Applebite Thu 02-Mar-17 20:35:46

I have 3 stone to lose and have put it off literally all my life, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Now I've been diagnosed with high fasting blood sugar and am looking horrible type 2 right in the face. I am frantically trying to shift it.

Might be worth checking your blood sugar if you've 5 stone to lose and haven't had it done in a while? Hopefully yours is absolutely fine, but the process might give you the nudge that you're looking for?

Mrsglitterfairy Thu 02-Mar-17 20:37:11

Also, I'm an emotional eater and so is DH although he won't admit it. If one of us has a bad day, bad news, feels upset or stressed etc we'll eat. Or similarly if we're celebrating we'll eat too.

Shitalopram Thu 02-Mar-17 20:37:58

But I'm trying to think on a daily basis whether today will take me closer or farther away from that goal.

Love that!

WhataMistakeaToMakea Thu 02-Mar-17 20:38:08

Me too op. I can be motivated for round six weeks then I just can't do it anymore. I have lost and gained the same two stone for three years (I need to lose seven). I feel like it's a constant internal battle not to eat crap and every so often I get overwhelmed and end up scoffing crap and then I'm back to doing it every day again for months. I've 'done' every plan and book going. Been hypnotised. Etc. None of it works long term for me. I feel like I'm the only person who just can't do it and when you're fat everyone can seey failure every day. Sigh. Start again tomorrow....

elliejjtiny Thu 02-Mar-17 20:39:33

Me too. I need to lose about 7 stone. Last year I lost the same stone 3 times.

Blueraccoon Thu 02-Mar-17 20:40:42

There are two threads on here tonight, one about someone eating bogeys at their office desk and another about a man hacking up phlegm in the street. Read them and you won't want to eat! grin

Blueraccoon Thu 02-Mar-17 20:42:30

Seriously though, I am the same OP, have 3 or 4 stone to lose and just can't do it sad

Shitalopram Thu 02-Mar-17 20:42:59

I have joined SW for the second time in 12 months. Lost 8lb since January and then put 5lb back on in the last fortnight (not "star week" either)

The problem for me seems to be that any kind of diet makes me think about food all the time.

The best success I've ever had was with Paul McKenna's thingy - that was 10 years ago though and I'm mid 40s now and can feel that things which used to work just don't any more...

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Thu 02-Mar-17 20:45:26

Me. I can eat relatively sensibly throughout the day but have got it ingrained that once DC is in bed it's treat time. I actually get moody and irritable if I deny myself chocolate in the evening!
It's all in my mind and ridiculous!1

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Thu 02-Mar-17 20:47:38

Me too OP. Exactly what you said sad

I've started counting ww points and exercising in the evenings. I've got a few recent disgusting pics of me and keep them on my phone to look at when I feel like going off track.

I'm great through the day but evenings are hell. I want crisps, sweets, wine. You name it. But I'll keep trying!

user1488487346 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:48:20

Literally story of my life.. Do you eat breakfast OP? I literally only started eating breakfast a few weeks ago and religiously do it now (and I have absolutely no will power...) I horse down a bowl (small one even) of porridge with sugar and milk every morning, knowing it'll keep me full enough until at least 12/1 , then get whatever for lunch, even half a subway..

then big dinner in the evening, i know it's hard not to snack in the night time but i find things like huge tub of strawberry yoghurt, fruit you genuinely love like strawberries or kiwis,

apart from all that , have the biggest breakfast you can every morning and it really does work to keep you full most of the day not snacking in between every meal too much..

user1488487346 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:50:03

And this is coming from someone who was just about 16 stone 2 years ago.. I have a seriously huge appetite, so can't go on forever like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now