Talk

Advanced search

Am I always the troublemaker?

(95 Posts)
troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:34:59

Ok, so I am ready for people to throw tomatoes at me. I will be completely honest as you are complete strangers.

So here it goes: sigh.

I am 27, and I can't hold a job down. I've only got female bosses who seem to hate me all the time. I quite had nice coworkers though not of all the time. I had decent relationships with them. I work in customer services and while I do agree the pitch of my voice can be a bit loud and firm I am doing my best to serve my customers.

I am at the fourth job now, and after 4 months things don't seem any better. My director hates me, she calls me into her office every day, she blames me a lot and I really don't know what to do. The worst part is that I'm part time (4 hrs/day) and she makes everything possible for me to stay extra at least another 2 hrs (unpaid, of course), which I cannot really do as I have other commitments (hence looking for part time work).

WWYD? I can't keep job hopping anymore but also I can never seem to be able to shut up because my sense of justice is too damn high. I will have to admit I had issues in the past with customer as I lost my patience and dropped a few harsh words, but definitely not offending.

I sometimes think I am the only damn person in this world who can't hold a job down. Am I a miserable person? sad

Thank you!

outofmydepth45 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:38:05

A key lesson is learning when to keep your mouth shut, I've yet to master it.

You say you have only had female bosses maybe your too pretty so they don't like you!

TeaCake5 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:38:18

If you are only paid for four hours then do not work over that

ImperialBlether Thu 02-Mar-17 18:38:39

There are two issues.

She's making you work unpaid overtime. That's really not on. Is she saying that you're not doing all your work in the four hours? Are you in a shop or call centre? Either way, doesn't another member of staff replace you after four hours? Are you hourly paid or on a salary?

Your manner - you need to talk to someone about how you come across. You really shouldn't have lost your temper with a customer - that's the whole point of customer service, that you'll get some dodgy ones who are hard work, but you have to remain professional.

Do you think you'd be better off doing a different type of job?

OneWithTheForce Thu 02-Mar-17 18:40:51

If you're the sort of person (like me) who can't bite their tongue, you might be better off being self employed.

gamerchick Thu 02-Mar-17 18:41:34

Maybe customer service doesn't suit you? It doesn't everyone. Would something else more behind the scenes be more suiting do you think?

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:42:42

I feel like crying tears of happiness when I see how amazing you people are.... thanks for the amazingly quick replies, reading comments just now and replying!!

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:43:30

@outofmydepth45 People do say I am pretty and they might be jealous, but I refuse in my mind to believe someone could dislike you for such a shallow reason.....

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:45:05

@teacake please advise me how would you do that/raise the problem? She told me I should go in her office when I finish to "discuss" procedures and products. So let's say I finish at 1. I call her on internal phone and say "can i come upstairs?" She says "no, busy now, I ll phone back when done" and she calls at 2.30............

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:46:11

@imperialblether I've explained the 4 hours thing just now. I am on a fixed salary.

I do agree I lack patience and sometimes empathy but people can be horrid. That's not an excuse obviously, I will try to work on that.

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:47:21

@onewiththeforce - I have actually started doing my hobby that is paid, but it's just the beginning and it's hard until you get customers... what do you do? Did you try employment before and it didn't work out?please do tell if you can

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 02-Mar-17 18:47:45

In that case you say - ok well I am off now. I will see yiu when I get in tomorrow

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:47:49

@gamerchick to the point that I sometimes wished I worked in a morgue confused

ImperialBlether Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:28

She's really out of order with the hours you're working. If the rest finish at 5 pm, she wouldn't make them hang around until 6.30 until she decided she was free. You need to say quite firmly, "I finish at 1. Shall I see you at the start of tomorrow's shift instead?"

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:31

@allthebestnamesareused yep, would do that but she actually says "you have to wait until I finish" it makes me sick

AllllGooone Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:36

I don't get on in customer service either trouble, I just can't deal with the abuse and take it personally. Has this been a problem throughout life or just in a work environment? My brother has had very similar problems, now in a good job where he basically has reign to work alone. He got an award last year for his work so definitely doing well now smile

Freddorika Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:39

That's very naughty about the phone call thing. She shouldn't do that (I am an employer btw)

OneWithTheForce Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:41

She says "no, busy now, I ll phone back when done" and she calls at 2.30.

When she says that you respond with "I finish at one so it'll have to be dealt with in the morning. See you then."

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:49:35

@imperialblether I will actually do that as of tomorrow. I can bet she s staying in her office doing nothing but laughing at me

Freddorika Thu 02-Mar-17 18:50:03

You sound too assertive with the grumpy customers and not assertive enough with your unreasonable boss!!

outofmydepth45 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:50:08

Unfortunately some people are shallow and will pick any reason to be horrible. I work in an industry that requires a lot of quals, I found just being over 30 helpful so it could be an age thing. Not saying it's right. I was once told women hate women in some cases it's true.

OneWithTheForce Thu 02-Mar-17 18:50:12

what do you do? Did you try employment before and it didn't work out?please do tell if you can

I work as a self employed cleaner and part time in a shop but I've given notice in the shop (because like you it should getting harder and harder to tolerate the shitty treatment and hold my tongue) I'm registering as a child minder.

Freddorika Thu 02-Mar-17 18:51:30

I'd get someone to witness your phone conversation if I were you

knowler Thu 02-Mar-17 18:52:54

Ffs, outofmydepth - "maybe your too pretty so they don't like you"... Yup, that must be it. A woman in a managerial position must be bitchy and slightly unhinged, judging all employees on their pretty faces.

OP - sounds like customer services isn't your bag. I'd also reassess the problem you might have with female bosses. There are quite a few around now.

troubleunderscoremaker Thu 02-Mar-17 18:53:27

@allllgone that actually makes me feel better. For now I feel miserable and useless. She told me horrid things even things like "I won't allow you telling me your version ot the story" (when mistakes happened)

When i first started i quite noticed people are doing EXACTLY what she says. Now i know why.

She even told me "go get these personal documents so you can apply for x next week" i say but i m on hols next week and she says i dont care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now