Talk

Advanced search

Aibu and just over reacting?

(15 Posts)
Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 17:05:55

Nc for this as this may be outing. Here to vent more than anything...
I'm in my first trimester for DC2. We currently house share as we couldn't afford to buy on our own. Finally, after many years, we are able to buy out our house mate. Since this opportunity has come up our house mate does absolutely fuck all around the house to help. So perfectly clean kitchen and they have yet again left washing up all over the side that would only take minutes to clean up. I will end up doing it later on again.
I can't get near the bloody washing machine. There's one of them and three of us but house mate keeps doing their washing and I have no where to dry more washing. I now have endless washing to do but will only get the chance to do one load over the weekend.
Housemate does no cleaning and is no help. They haven't paid in for shopping or bills for over a month even though they're still helping themselves to food, washing powder, shower stuff etc and using electricity and water. Excuse is they're not here that often - only all bloody day as they wfh with plenty of time to pop out numerous times during the day.
I keep saying to myself not long now. Only a couple of months and they'll be gone. But I'm totally going to lose my rag before long. So Aibu and hormonal or are they? I have raised some of these issues but it seems to go in one ear and out the other. Please tell me I'm not being a daft hormonal mess.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 02-Mar-17 17:10:49

You are not being unreasonable.

However get together with your partner and call a meeting with housemate and tell him how it is.

If need be do a rota for washing. he can do Tues, Thurs, Sat and you the other days.

He's being a lazy sod now because he is off soon (he has found somewhere I assume?)

Don't bottle it up tell him how it is!

Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 17:15:49

Thank you for making me feel like I'm not just losing my sanity. DH and o have both talked to house mate before. Nothing changes. They've gotten increasingly worse since New Year - leaving lights on, taps running as well as doing sweet fa to clean up after themselves or help out. These next few months are going to seem like forever!

Screwinthetuna Thu 02-Mar-17 17:17:41

I think it's time you asked your house mate to move out

19lottie82 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:20:39

I think temporarily you need to start keeping your consumables in your room so they can't help themselves.

If they have taken all the drying space up with their washing just fold theirs over to make space for yours.

Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 17:21:57

Screw- I wish we could but they're on the mortgage with DH until everything is signed over so legally we don't have a leg to stand on.

Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 17:25:55

19lottie - Drying space is very limited already and they've filled every spare frigging inch. DH in going to get a tumble dryer when housemate leaves. They seem to break anything worth having so we don't want to buy before. I'd need a fridge in the bedroom - no space or money for that atm. I'm just trying to breathe and stay calm even though I'd quite like to inflict injury on them in my irrational hormonal state.

MumsGoneToYonderLand Thu 02-Mar-17 17:44:13

suggest you do a washing/drying rota. if they don't stick to it take their things off and stick them in a basket and hang your own up.
if they eat your food its theft. suggest you label your food and buy it daily if you can, just until they go.
go into their room and take their tv if they take your food!

but definitely worth having a stronger word with them. maybe if no decent response (play the preg card) say 'the stress is making you worried about the baby..?'

Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 17:52:12

I guess I'll talk to them about it again when I get half a chance. Hopefully won't get the usual mutterings half agreeing then just continue as normal...

Previously1488218868 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:13:30

Lock your food up www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fridge+safe&tbm=shop&*&spd=12386493777532154718

chitofftheshovel Thu 02-Mar-17 18:15:01

That sounds like a horrid way to live, glad you have light at the end of the tunnel.

Is housemate ok with selling their share? Was it always on the cards?

LexieLulu Thu 02-Mar-17 18:17:16

This sounds awful? I don't envy you xx

bellatrixlestrange124 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:21:07

I'd warn them that you need to do washing at x time/date and if they continue to use when you need to, remove their clothes and put in their room. Keep repeating.

Re the food - tell them since they don't seem to be able to stop themselves from eating your food, you have put laxatives in food items at random grin. That should put a stop to it! Or disguise your food in boxes for something you know they won't eat!

MumsGoneToYonderLand Thu 02-Mar-17 18:44:26

hey whose fridge is it? if its yours put a lock on the whole thing!
smear a lovely juicy bit of beef around the inside of the toilet bowl. and leave it for them to steal.
let them see you drinking out of the cartons. tell them you are developing a cold sore too...
buy food you know they won't eat
of course i wouldn't dream of doing that!

Pregnantandlosingmyrag Thu 02-Mar-17 19:35:51

MumsGone grin so tempting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now