Talk

Advanced search

Other people's children

(16 Posts)
NattyBatty Thu 02-Mar-17 13:59:28

It's not me but my dad who had this happen. I'll try to avoid drip-feeding so please excuse the wall-o-text.

He was at a family event with his partner of 15 years (all her relatives) and there were lots of children there. Dad was sitting on the sofa, talking with the adults, and one of the children (aged about 9) pushed passed his crossed legs to get passed. What she didn't know at the time is that dad had an wound on his foot, and doing that was not just rude but very painful for him.

Dad calmly explained to her that she had hurt him, and that next time she should say "excuse me" and he will let her past. There was no where else to sit, and no other way for him to allow her a faster route to her parents. There was, however, the option for her to take a longer route by going around the other side of the group.

Her parents were part of the group he was sitting with, and saw all of this, but did nothing.

A couple of minutes later, she shoved past dad again, hurting him considerably. She laughed at this. He told her not to walk past him again and to take the long route. Her parents did nothing.

She then shoved past him a third time, reopening the wound on his foot and destroying what was left of his patience. Dad snapped at her that she had badly hurt him and told her off.

Her parents flew into a rage and demanded that he apologise for speaking to their daughter like that. Dad apologised to keep the peace for his partners sake, because her family is important to her and he didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable on his account, but he is very angry about the way the parents acted.

Who was in the wrong?

Soubriquet Thu 02-Mar-17 14:01:16

The parents and the 9 year old was in the wrong

The 9 year old is old enough to know what your dad said and was doing it anyway because they knew they would be defended

Your poor dad. Hope he's ok

Branleuse Thu 02-Mar-17 14:02:27

She sounds like a silly little girl, but im surprised your dad didnt protect his wound better if it happened 3 times and there were children around

elQuintoConyo Thu 02-Mar-17 14:05:13

Parents wrong. In raising a nice child and also losing their shit.

It it were me, I'd have rolled my sock down and shown them blood and bones and sinew, but I can be a bit of a cow blush

flowers for your patient dad.

Whiterabbitears Thu 02-Mar-17 14:10:46

The parents were wrong. They should also have made their DC apologise for hurting your dad, especially as he had already asked her not to and explained why, at 9 she's old enough to understand. Very annoying when people don't teach their kids these basic life skills.

Doyouwantabrew Thu 02-Mar-17 14:12:51

Well at 9 she should have known better but really kids do run around and if I had a bad foot with a wound and at a gathering with lots of excitable kids I would have probably been more careful to protect my foot.

To do it 3 times was strange though. Are you sure the parents realised the previous knocks and just thought he had snapped at their dd for one knock.

PointxTaken Thu 02-Mar-17 14:14:39

the parents are awfully rude. Your dad is very kind, I would have been much less pleasant towards these entitled idiots.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 02-Mar-17 14:18:25

Your poor dad. I'm not surprised he lost his temper. The child knew exactly what she was doing.
I mean the first you call it an accident. The second time and an annoying coincidence. The third time wilful and deliberately. She's 9. She's not a 2 year old baby. She knows or at least. She should know right from wrong. Mind you with parents like that is it any wonder she's acting the way she is.

Astoria7974 Thu 02-Mar-17 14:19:52

Parents and daughter were wrong. Like a prev poster suggested I'd have shown them the open wound and grossed them out.

SpreadYourHappiness Thu 02-Mar-17 14:37:53

YANBU. The parents and child were in the wrong. Your dad shouldn't have apologised; I know I certainly wouldn't have. I've suffered with feet wounds and it's nasty when someone knocks it, especially when they don't appear to give a shit that you're in pain.

NattyBatty Fri 03-Mar-17 08:38:58

Thanks for the answers everyone. I thought they were in the wrong, too.

There was no way he could have protected his wound any better. He was sitting in an area away from the children, with a coffee table in front of him as a barrier. He was wearing protective footwear, too. The only thing he could have done to prevent her from hurting him would have been to physically push the girl away when she came towards him, or not show up at all.

IamFriedSpam Fri 03-Mar-17 09:17:22

I think that's odd and clearly unreasonable behaviour from the child and her parents. I can imagine my youngest (4) pushing past someone in a rush but if I saw it I would certainly have him apologise and make sure he took the longer route next time. A 9 year should know better in the first place but to repeatedly do it when she's already been told and for her parents to stand by is well outside of normal behaviour.

slinkysaluki Fri 03-Mar-17 09:19:40

The parents should have stepped in earlier to stop their child. They also should have insisted the child apologise to your dad. Just rude.

nat73 Fri 03-Mar-17 09:21:45

Your poor Dad! My Mum has wounds on her legs and feet so I always tell my children clearly to be very careful of them (they are 3 and 6) and I expect them to do as they are asked!

Doyouwantabrew Fri 03-Mar-17 09:26:32

In that case then no he shouldn't have apologised. Your poor dad. Guessing this particular child and parents have form in the family.

yerbutnobut Fri 03-Mar-17 10:25:51

Dont agree with posters saying your dad should have protected his foot better, you cant plan for rude, silly young girls and their reluctant parents. I dare say in your dads fore plans so far as appropriately protecting his wound, it wouldn't have occured to him to be put in the position he was, ridiculous parenting or lack of in this case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now