Talk

Advanced search

To wake up baby

(7 Posts)
MotherOfWren Thu 02-Mar-17 12:03:56

Ok so I'm a first time mum and as such absolutely everything that my baby does slightly terrifies me haha!

Anyway my LO is now 11 weeks old and has slept through the night with the exception of one or two wobbly nights from about 5-6 weeks.

However she wasn't going down until about 1am then sleeping till 8ish when my husband leaves for work has a feed goes back until 11ish and does the same again waking properly at about 1.30-2. And having a little nap early evening.

The last 2 nights she has gone down at 10pm and today didn't wake when DH left stayed down until about 10am I fed her but the whole time she had her eyes closed and went straight back to sleep. I have just woken her up am I being stupid or is that too much sleep? I have no idea I know they need lots of sleep whilst their little.

Anyone else had a baby that sleeps like this?

CharlieDimmocksbosoms Thu 02-Mar-17 12:10:47

All babies are different. As long as she wasn't premature and If she's putting on weight and starting to engage with you when she's awake- smiling,cooing etc I would be happy with her sleep. They do a lot of growing when their sleeping. Is she bottle or breast fed? Bottle feeders do tend to sleep for longer periods.

Heirhelp Thu 02-Mar-17 12:14:45

12 hours is a very long stretch, especially for someone so little. I would have woken to feed to. My big nearly 10 month old still can't go that long without a feed.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 02-Mar-17 12:21:47

My babies have done this sort of thing on occasion. Is her big sleep following a feeding frenzy in the last few days? Mine always tended to feed like crazy and then gave a big day or two of sleep.

One of my twins will absolutely do 12 hours (and would at that age) if she gets a feed part way through that. I used to worry about her too but she just likes her sleep.

Agree with PP that if she's happy and alert while she's awake it's not a cause for concern. Pop on over to one of the sleepless night threads and see what you're missing, then breathe a big sigh of relief.

Spudlet Thu 02-Mar-17 12:25:36

If she's happy and alert when she is awake and is gaining weight and your HV isn't worried - enjoy the break smile

DS slept through a couple of times at that age and I woke him - woke him! - to feed. What was I thinking?! He was built like a tank! And once he hit the 4 month sleep regression that was about it for sleeping through until he turned 1! Madness, I tell you!

Your HV is there to help so so ring them and ask one to visit if you feel you need the support. smile

chocaholic123 Thu 02-Mar-17 12:27:54

As Charlie said all babies are different. My ds is 11 weeks as well, the longest stretch he does at night is 5 hours, between 10 and 3am. But, other babies sleep through from an early age, whilst others are much later. I find ds sleeps more when he's having a growth spurt, so could that be it, or not feeling 100%. I wouldn't worry if he seems fine, is feeding well during the day, and seems to be developing fine. You could always mention it the hv during your next appointment.

MotherOfWren Thu 02-Mar-17 12:36:21

Thanks everyone, it helps to hear other people's experiences!

My LO is bottle fed but it's expressed breast milk as she caught a cold at around 6 weeks and was struggling to latch on and breath at the same time and we never really got back into the swing of it.

She is alert and cooing away I am sure I should just be thanking my lucky stars but you never really know until you ask smile.

She is gaining weight and is in 50th centile she was two weeks over so I don't think in need to worry about anything birth related.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: